PDA

View Full Version : Toast 7 Divx Avi Burning

stin
21st October 2005, 12:05 PM
Can anyone offer me a better solution? I am trying to burn 2 Divx .avi files to DVD so i can watch them on TV. However, Toast 7 is really slow, and I have left it on for about 3 hours and it was only a quarter of the way through encoding one movie! (using an iBook G4, 1.42, SuperDrive). The .avi file is approx 351 MB. Can anyone give me a better solution? I thought of ffMpegx but i want to encode two into a single VIDEO_TS Folder.
Sadly, it seems to work faster on Nerovision Express on a PC
Any Advice?

doughnut
21st October 2005, 12:21 PM
Well, video encoding is a slow process. It takes around 50 minutes (on medium quality) for me to convert a 20 minute divx to a DVD with my dual 867MHz G4.

You could try turning down the encoding quality in the settings for the disc, that would shorten the time it takes.

rpjallan
21st October 2005, 12:26 PM
Well, video encoding is a slow process.
Yeah, it is. I have found that Toast 7 does a really good job, though. I have been really happy with the results I have got with it. I just leave it running overnight now!

Byrd
21st October 2005, 12:32 PM
Nerovision on PC has a particularly fast encoder - much better than Toast's, so even if the hardware was similar Nero will probably be better :(

JB

cerebus
22nd October 2005, 11:54 PM
I used to do this, but the time to convert was too frustrating.

I eventually just got one of these (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=813). (Sold out there, but I've seen similar at Target).

neilrobinson
23rd October 2005, 12:21 AM
its very quick on my dual 2.3 G5 @ work - if i remember right it takes just over an hour to convert about 3 hours of divx video. that with it running in the background and normal work (adobe cs +quark) happening.

Its a lot slower @ home on my DP 867 - about 5 hours for the same thing ;)

neil

rabit
23rd October 2005, 12:49 AM
Have you tried burning the .avi file to a CD as a normal data disk.
Tried it on my DVD player and it worked fine, only took 5 minutes
Unfortunately not all DVD players will play avi files

cerebus
19th November 2005, 08:22 AM
DivX capable DVD players - $49 (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=733)

I burn mine as a DivX disc in Toast 7 (no re-encoding) and it works beautifully.
Occasionally I find the odd movie that won't play (usually a very high resolution) but it isn't a big deal to reencode in quicktime or divx convertor.