PDA

View Full Version : Macbook AIR V iPad

Daguerreo
16th December 2010, 01:43 PM
This seems like a pointless thread, but bear with me. Most of the days/time I am not in one permanent location. I am usually on the move and I make been weighing up the pros, and the cons of each one.

Well first of all I am usually travelling as stated, whether that's on the 1 hour train journey, walking around in the city, etc. I already have a netbook, that's okay. and a decent desktop PC... So then ideally I believe the iPad would be ideal in it's portability, also not to mention that the train gets crowded, and slipping an ipad out instead of a macbook Air while standing is far more convenient.

However that said I tend to run several applications at a time. which mostly are the basics; Skype, Gimp, Chrome, Word. Those are pretty much what I am on 95% of the time, I hardly do anything else. Though I'm unorganized half of the time, and i always have a tendency to check the weather, so perhaps the iPad would organize my life a little more?

Other then that, a keyboard will be a welcome, but mainly an Azerty keyboard, or something which I can use my native tongue on(French). I am also learning linguistics, and know a few other languages that have different orthographies to the english language, I know the ipad is great for that as they have the , , , , and so on. I forgot to check if they have any caron symbols... so an owner telling me that they have the caron C(Čč) and caron S() would be helpful.

Other then that I also travel from country to country, and whatever I acquire this month, may very well be the portable machine for travelling around the globe. I suppose it's not the end of the world with an ipad due the fact that I can use the applications, but for not all at once...

Other then that I am a university student that lives about 60 miles from the university and travels nearly everyday, when I am not there, I am in western Europe travelling, or visiting family. Like I said I do have a netbook, but I wouldn't use the netbook to type an essay up.... I don't think I'd even us the air for that. I've been happy with the netbook, and I like long battery life as I am out nearly all day.

Also can I use a wireless keyboard on the iPad, I think I would like to have that option, so that i can type but have the ipad elsewhere... I am not sure which option to get...

any thoughts, suggestions, someone to play devil's advocate?

Please post your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

Vojtin
16th December 2010, 02:16 PM
I think iPad, because:
10 hours awake
3G modem built in
We live in 21century :-)
Touch screen
Applications
Cheaper app
You can use it immediately
It is smaller and cheaper
Since I bought an iPad my usage of Apple devices is: 60% iPad, 30% MacBook, 10% iPhone

Yeah I love the iPad

Daguerreo
16th December 2010, 02:19 PM
I think iPad, because:
10 hours awake
3G modem built in
We live in 21century :-)
Touch screen
Applications
Cheaper app
You can use it immediately
It is smaller and cheaper
Since I bought an iPad my usage of Apple devices is: 60% iPad, 30% MacBook, 10% iPhone

Yeah I love the iPad

does the iPad have and Č?? I need these symbols...

tcn33
16th December 2010, 02:25 PM

The French AZERTY keyboard does Č and č, but it doesn't seem to do the other one. Nor does the French Canadian keyboard.

Vojtin
16th December 2010, 02:27 PM

Yes, I am Czech guy and we use these letters.

And I forgot GAMES for iPad.

tcn33
16th December 2010, 02:37 PM
Yes, I am Czech guy and we use these letters.

Yep, and are on the Czech keyboard as well as Č and č :) (posted from my iPad).

Vojtin
16th December 2010, 02:39 PM
Yep, and are on the Czech keyboard as well as Č and č :) (posted from my iPad).

And ĚČŘ and more

Daguerreo
16th December 2010, 02:58 PM
Can you buy a physical azerty? or a wireless keyboard?

I have a custom keyboard layout already, but i do not know if you can do that on Macintosh...

I use... , , , , Čč, , , , , , , , , , , , Őő, , , , Űű.

Thank you.

Vojtin
16th December 2010, 03:54 PM
Can you buy a physical azerty? or a wireless keyboard?

I have a custom keyboard layout already, but i do not know if you can do that on Macintosh...

I use... , , , , Čč, , , , , , , , , , , , Őő, , , , Űű.

Thank you.

I use an Apple Wireless keyboard and in Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboard is option to choose what keyboard you want to use for software keyboard and what for HW keyboard
http://grab.by/grabs/a07800adc58698ae016317eed6c2fee1.png

The_Hawk
16th December 2010, 04:01 PM
I have a friend who uses the bluetooth wireless keyboard for the iPad when sitting down. She said it fits in her handbag fine and is a welcome change from the on-screen keyboard for really getting in and writing something.

Personally I prefer a real machine, but if you want to go down the iPad route, a bluetooth keyboard will make you happier :)

AnthoMac
16th December 2010, 04:25 PM
The air's keyboard has the same feel and size as those found on the MBPs - that's what makes it more compelling than say your crummy little netbook.
That being said, a bluetooth keyboard and iPad would be a better alternative, just 'think differently' when using that device.

Daguerreo
16th December 2010, 04:32 PM
The air's keyboard has the same feel and size as those found on the MBPs - that's what makes it more compelling than say your crummy little netbook.
That being said, a bluetooth keyboard and iPad would be a better alternative, just 'think differently' when using that device.

I do not think it is fair to disregard the netbook immediately. You are clearing showing your bias here. Yes the keyboard is 85% life size, but it has been great. When I wish to type I can easily do about 85 words a minute, touchtype.

I have also done the necessary upgrades, to make this machine be good enough for my uses, it has a 2GB SODIMM RAM card @ 667Mhz, and a 128GB SSD card. I spent no more then $600.

AnthoMac
16th December 2010, 04:51 PM
I do not think it is fair to disregard the netbook immediately. You are clearing showing your bias here.
Sorry, I have done a SJ and assumed that your netbook was hard to use.

Knowing your situation, you should consider getting an iPad, if not for the different experience and form factor since the MBA is simply Apple's take on a traditional notebook, only smaller. But either your current netbook or new MBA will not fail you when you choose to travel and need to browse websites that are not HTML 5 friendly. I assume you might want to copy travel snaps to a computer as well, and for that the iPad + camera dock will work, but a computer will work better.

As for the languages, both iOS (as demonstrated here) and OS X will switch keyboards nicely.

ozmaclover
18th December 2010, 10:51 AM
I've got both and see your point. Even with the insane portability of an Air, it's a little tricky to use one in crowded public transport. By comparison, the iPad is a few inches smaller, and has the advantage of being roughly on par in regard to battery life - I say this with full knowledge of how I use my devices!

Remember that the iPad comes in 3G models, so you could always buy a cheap sim if you're travelling to different states/countries for an 'always connected to the internet' option. For an Air, you'd need a 3G usb modem, or wifi based device that does the same thing.

If I were in crowded public transport often, I'd go the iPad, but for storage and almost equal battery life, I'd go the Air. Or you could do both like I have =P