PDA

View Full Version : Giving iPad as a gift to someone who does not have a computer

blurij
16th December 2010, 12:34 AM
Hi,
I bought an iPad as a gift for an elderly relative who does not have a computer.
I have a MacBook Pro. I do not want to sync my Macbook to the iPad, but I do want to put media and apps onto the Ipad from my Macbook.

My basic question is - Can all media be manually synced to the Ipad, including photos ? I have scoured the internet and have not found anything on manually syncing photos from a Mac to an iPad.
Can I just Drag and Drop photo albums, videos and song playlists to the iPad without wedding my MacBook to the iPad?

There are videos I want to put on the iPad that I do not want to keep in my iTunes. If I sync my iTunes to the iPad, then I will always have to keep everything I put on the iPad in my iTunes - is that not correct? Or else when I do a new sync, if I have removed a video I had previously uploaded to the iPad from iTunes - then that video will not show up on the iPad after the new sync.

Thanks. I am looking for any tutorials ( I can't even find manual sync YouTube videos ) or any help you can provide.
Much thanks

sirstaunch
16th December 2010, 02:42 AM
What if you set a new user on your MacBook and put in the stuff you want to put on the gift iPad and sync. Then once you are happy and got everything you want for her on the iPad, you can just simply close the account and have it deleted or just leave it on your MacBook for future syncing if you prefer. That way anything on your account is not altered or interfered by the new iPad. Just a thought ;)

iGobbleoff
16th December 2010, 05:38 AM
Just sync it to your MacBook and manually select what you want to sync, like photos and music and videos. If you have to put the videos into iTunes, just delete them after the sync.

Just thinking for future when you have to update the firmware, if you make a different user account and library, it will want to wipe it each time because the iTunes library would be different each time.

Obviously you wouldn't sync your address book or contacts. Maybe also use VLC media player for videos, then you don't need to put the videos in iTunes. The photos can come from iPhoto or from folders anywhere on your MacBook.

blurij
16th December 2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks SirStaunch and Gobbleoff.
Nice to know I can manually sync photos, music, and videos. I wasn't sure I could manually sync all of those.

I will have to read up on how to set up a separate iTunes account.

I also learned about a 3rd party software product called iPad Magic that says it lets you transfer media without itunes. Perhaps that might be a solution too.

What I am trying to avoid ( and I'm not sure a separate iTunes account will help ) is adding ( and having to keep in iTunes on my macbook hard drive ) large video files that have to stay there when re-syncing again and again.

I'd rather keep those large video files on an external hard drive and access them and transfer them manually to the iPad.

Thanks again for taking an interest in my situation.
Pete

iGobbleoff
16th December 2010, 08:01 AM
Do you mean iTunes account or Library?

I would make another iTunes account for this person so they can purchase their own apps, or just don't give them the password to your account.

As for the video files, they can be on an external drive, you just have to make sure that the option "Let iTunes copy the files" (or something to that effect) is OFF. That way they can still be in your iTunes library, just on an external drive. That also means they have to be encoded if they are in the wrong format. I would still recommend going with VLC or some other media player that doesn't rely on the iTunes library.

Granny Mac
16th December 2010, 08:31 AM
You can also set your iTunes media folder to the external hard drive. That's how I do it, I have all my files on an external drive and just link iTunes to it.
I agree about setting up a separate iTunes account, set the iPad to manually sinc and set the iTunes media folder to the external drive.
If the person that you are buying your iPad for is in the same house you can then get an app to stream from the external HDD.

midnight_e
16th December 2010, 08:32 AM
This (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495) has just appeared on Apple Support.
Could be helpful, title is 'How to use multiple iPods, iPads, or iPhones with one computer'

blurij
16th December 2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks Down Under - Gobbleoff and Granny -
I really appreciate your interest and assistance. Would you mind terribly explaining step by step how to ( go into iTunes preferences I imagine ) and make it so that iTunes accesses video from my external hard drive ?
That would really solve my main problem ( saving space on my macbook laptop hard drive).

Also is VLC an app you buy from Apple? If not how would I add a video application to the iPad?

I am also looking at a third party software called iPad Magic which supposedly transfers media between computer and iPad without using iTunes. Any thoughts on that product?

Thanks again for the help from Down There. I always wanted to make a trip down there when I was in Hawaii, but never quite happened. Always hated Christmas in Hawaii - too hot - guess that's how it is with you as well. Have a very nice holiday all the same.

Granny Mac
17th December 2010, 09:24 AM
iTunes>preferences>advanced>under iTunes media folder location there is a tab to change location. Nominate the folder of choice and click ok.