PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Clamshell Memory Upgrade and Operating Syste

Reece
20th October 2005, 06:03 PM
I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

Firstly, I posted a while ago about my 366 Clamshell ibook (go the Ebay purchase). I'm having the hard drive upgraded to a 40g and the people who are doing it for me want to charge me $120 extra (on top of the hard drive installation) to transfer the information from the current hard drive.

Now I don't really care if the programs and information are transferred or not. So I told the guy forget it, just change the hard drive over. The tricky part is of course as the ibook was an ebay buy, there are no disks with it. So I'm wondering what OS I should buy. It's running OS X at the moment. It's a 366, it will have a 40g hard drive and it has 320mb ram.

Is the best place to get cheap OS software on ebay?

My second question is whether or not it is worth upgrading to 512mb ram. Is there a huge difference between 320 and 512? The 512mb memory I've seen is about $189 and it seems kinda stupid to spend that on such an old clamshell which has already cost me more than it should.

I really only want it for web surfing, typing documents and maybe using an ipod with it one day when I can actually afford an ipod.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

macnorth
20th October 2005, 07:37 PM
Hi Reece, I have a 466 Clamshell which runs OSX 10.4.2 very happily, and doesn't miss a beat. Has 512 mb ram and has been running OSX from the start. I think it would be worth the money to get the ram upgrade, they just keep on going. You should be able to use your exisiting OSX disks.

spy
20th October 2005, 08:40 PM
If you need it just for the most basic of uses and don't mind the hassle of a little lag, don't waste yer money on that. But to soup it up a bit more would be great in the long term.

Byrd
21st October 2005, 08:54 AM
Remember that Tiger 10.4 comes on DVD - which your Clamshell 366 doesn't have by default (unless it's a firewire model, which you could plug an external DVD drive into and install it that way). You can get it on CDs by refund, however.

But I wouldn't bother installing 10.4 - there isn't much difference between running Tiger and Panther on a G3 iBook. With Tiger you get some additional bloat such as Spotlight and Dashboard, which for a lowly 366Mhz processor doesn't help. With 320MB RAM, I'd leave it with Panther 10.3.9 which is fast and stable on such a machine. For the uses that you have in mind - 320MB is sufficient for Panther, not enough for Tiger - for office tasks/net etc. it's a good amount.

JB

iMick
21st October 2005, 10:00 AM
I recommend that if you have a G3 it is worth sticking to Panther. Tiger is great but not worth the performance hit on the older G3s. Any older G4s i'd recomend tiger.

suryo
21st October 2005, 12:43 PM
Another vote for Panther here - it's the fastest and most stable release of OS X yet. I have it running on my 366MHz clamshell with 544MB and it's fine for basic tasks. You should be able to pick up a legit copy of 10.3 for not much $$. Try posting a "WTB: Panther" notice in the trading forum.

I wouldn't recommend spending any more money on upgrades. Just get it to work for you.