PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading MacBook Pro Advice

ChrisG
11th December 2010, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking about upgrading my 15" MacBook Pro that I bought when the Aluminium editions first came out.

I am deciding between getting a 13" MacBook Air or an 17" MacBook Pro.

I don't know which way to go. I like the portability aspect of the Air making it easier to take too and from work but I love the specs of the 17" and mostly work with my laptop on the couch when I'm home.

Do you think I would be disappointed if i loose the 2" from the Pro or do you think I will benefit from the higher specs that are faster than my baseline 15"?

Thanks,
ChrisG.

snark
11th December 2010, 08:49 PM
What in particular do you dislike about the 15" form factor?

ChrisG
11th December 2010, 09:26 PM
Nothing really, I am just finding it to be a bit slower than I'd like it to be and/or would like something that is either faster than what I have now or lighter. I am just trying to decide which way to go so I won't be disappointed.

Stez
11th December 2010, 11:09 PM
I think 13" Pro is the perfect combination of both. You get the added speed and much more battery life. Sure it isn't paper thin but you can hardly complain about the weight.

snark
12th December 2010, 08:52 AM
I am just finding it to be a bit slower than I'd like it to be and/or would like something that is either faster than what I have now or lighter.
Do you know what the speed of the disk in your current MBP is? If it is 5400 rpm, then upgrading to a 7200 rpm drive will make it noticeably quicker.
And upgrading to 4 GB of RAM wouldn't hurt either.

You could then put the money you've saved into buying an iPad.

Just a suggestion.

The_Hawk
12th December 2010, 09:11 AM
I was using a 13" MacBook before I made the jump to a Pro. I was eyeing off the 15" but after having a look at the 17" I couldn't go past the screen size since it's my main rig used day in and day out. Hell I would be tempted if they put out a 13" spec with a 17" screen.

As for portability, it's only 3kg so unless your *always* on the road and really need something ultra portable I don't think it's an issue. I carry mine to and from work and various meetings every day as well as to club meetings where I am the webmaster and need to use it. I think once your carrying *something*, carrying something that is only slightly larger isn't a problem and as a primary machine has more benefits. (That and everyone who sees it loves how sexy it is ;))

For my usage I don't find an iPad useful for a few reasons. I'm used to having my bag with my laptop (and 3G connection), that and there is essentially nothing I can't do on the MBP vs the limited options on the iPad. But that is hardly the point of this thread :P

ChrisG
12th December 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I do currently have an iPad that I bought when it first came out in the U.S and had it imported as I was impatient :D but hardly use it anymore now that I have my iPhone 4 which is just as fast as the iPad (if not faster).

I am not sure what speed my hard drive is but it is 250GB in size and I have 4GB of memory.

I just feel like I want change from design, do you think I will see a speed reduction going from a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processor to a baseline 13" MacBook Air or do you think I would be better off in the long run getting the 17" Pro?

Note: I would also be selling my MacBook Pro so that would make up for the mark up of Apples price. How much do you guys think I will get for my rig?

ChrisG
16th December 2010, 11:43 AM
I am starting to lean towards the 17" MacBook Pro. Do you think it is worthwhile sticking with the standard i5 Processor or upgrading to the i7?

Do you reckon the will release any new 17" Pro's any time soon or do i have nothing to worry about?

Also, how much do you think I will get for my 15" Pro? I'd be interested to know to determine how much I can spend on upgrading specs of the 17".

samuelowens
16th December 2010, 12:31 PM
The Air is the perfect couch computer due to its lightness. It makes my old 15" MBP feel a bit unwieldy by comparison, and the SSD means it's a fairly snappy thing.

I'd say get an ultimate 13" Air...

ChrisG
16th December 2010, 05:07 PM
Did you go from the aluminum designed MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo to the 13" Air? Did u find any difference in speed or did u find it faster with the SSD drive?

samuelowens
16th December 2010, 07:31 PM
I have gone from a Core Duo 2.0GHz to a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo. The SSD cures the biggest bottleneck: the hard drive. It's significantly snappier as a result.

ChrisG
16th December 2010, 09:03 PM
Hmm, something to think about. Going to the Apple Store in George St tomorrow to see the differences between the two visually.

ChrisG
18th December 2010, 04:34 PM
Have just picked up a 17" MacBook Pro from David Jones in Miranda. Apparently have plenty in stock and will match JB HiFi's 10% off weekend sale! Pretty happy with it so far, am typing this message on my new baby now :D