PDA

View Full Version : No free apps on the Mac app store

BUDDY23
4th December 2010, 08:27 AM
Mac App Store: No Demos for You! - PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/212395/mac_app_store_no_demos_for_you.html)

NOT HAPPY :(

chrism238
4th December 2010, 09:01 AM
Mac App Store: No Demos for You! - PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/212395/mac_app_store_no_demos_for_you.html)

NOT HAPPY :(

This isn't too surprising and, for me, welcomed.
The only way to install apps (both paid and free) on an Iphone, short of jailbreaking, is to download them via the App Store.

Mac applications, for desktop and laptops, can be installed in a number of ways, including simply via the web. It's a great thing that this distribution channel will remain!

The article states "Free apps account for one third of the iPhone's top-grossing apps" but, ironically, free apps do not gross anything, certainly not for Apple who has to host them at some cost.

Anthonyw
4th December 2010, 09:40 AM
Some of those top grossing free apps are through in app purchases which apple gets heir cut of.

nibbles
4th December 2010, 10:43 AM
it's fair enough to not host demos and that, it just makes the experience confusing and annoying. But no free apps at all? so for example if there was a mactalk app it wouldn't be able to be downloaded from the mac app store free? or are they allowing free apps where there is no other version?

Exocet
4th December 2010, 11:03 AM
The mac app store will not be the lone distribution model. This is entirely a non-issue.

nibbles
4th December 2010, 11:58 AM
it may not be the only way, but it will be the easiest way of finding apps

faux
4th December 2010, 01:47 PM
The article only says that free trial versions of paid apps won't be allowed. Nothing about free fully functional apps.

marc
4th December 2010, 02:05 PM
The article only says that free trial versions of paid apps won't be allowed.

+1

...which is identical to the iOS App Stores. Nothing to see here, move along...

mitty
4th December 2010, 05:25 PM
So I'm guessing that things like "Words With Friends" on the Appstore, where there is a free and a paid version and the only difference is that the free version has ads, will be allowed on the Mac App store?

Timmy87
7th December 2010, 10:46 AM
The Mac App Store wont host demos or beta versions of Apps. Free apps will be distributed exactly the same as the iOS App Store.

idiesel
17th December 2010, 06:06 PM
Going live 7th Jan (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/95552-mac-app-store.html#post1063062) AEST

nibbles
20th December 2010, 09:55 AM
Can't wait, finally some native apps. Do you guys reckon we will see an official facebook app?

feeze
20th December 2010, 11:06 AM
Can't wait, finally some native apps. Do you guys reckon we will see an official facebook app?

They already do, it's called Safari :p

Zuckerburg was recently quoted as saying that they wont support an iPad facebook app because they don't consider the iPad asa mobile device. So one could assume if they are not willing to support an iPad app they definitely wont support a Mac app.

I do get the impression with facebook that the iPhone app was created to meet the app 'fad' and to stop others from creating apps and profiting from their site. The fact that the original app creator threw a tantrum about Apple's policies and picked up his bat and ball and went home reflects facebooks attitude. I rekon if it was up to facebook the app wouldn't exist and all users would use their website.

An aside (which is off topic I know) but it's interesting to see that the facebook app is still largely downloaded considering that the facebook web app offers the same functionality.

nibbles
20th December 2010, 12:06 PM
I use the app, it just has a nicer feel to it and is overall better to use.

Stez
20th December 2010, 04:01 PM
IMO Facebook in a web browser is fine for a keyboard and mouse computer.

Taylor
20th December 2010, 07:00 PM
hm, total absence of free apps won't make Mac users happy. And impossibility to test software before purchase will make them more unhappy.

In such case users will visit developers' site and test demo or get free version of the same software listed in App Store, but without demo. But in such case, users can purchase software on developers' site - not in Apple Store - they will be able to do this now - am I right?

MrJesseRoss
20th December 2010, 07:07 PM
I only use Friendly on the iPad because it looks slightly nicer than the web interface. Other than that, it's largely unnecessary.

If you want a Facebook app on the Mac, get this: Fluid - Free Site Specific Browser for Mac OS X Leopard (http://fluidapp.com/)

nibbles
20th December 2010, 07:59 PM
You are still able to get free apps on the app store, lets make that clear. It is exactly like the iOS app store but unlike on iOS it is NOT the only place to get apps. Apple won't be hosting demos or trials, in my opinion this is great because it reduces the need to filter your way through unnecessary shit. I can not wait for the app store and hopefully iWork '11.

nibbles
22nd December 2010, 03:25 PM
I know you guys are saying we aren't likely to get a facebook app, I really just want something like tweetie but for facebook, status updates and wall posts not all the s&#@ that comes will the full webpage, that's why I love the iPhone app, it has everything I want and nothing else.

feeze
22nd December 2010, 04:17 PM
I know you guys are saying we aren't likely to get a facebook app, I really just want something like tweetie but for facebook, status updates and wall posts not all the s&#@ that comes will the full webpage, that's why I love the iPhone app, it has everything I want and nothing else.

I'm sure a 3rd party will. I'm just saying that, given past comments made by Zuckerberg et al., it is unlikely that they will have an *official* Facebook app.

That doesn't mean a 3rd party wont. I haven't looked but I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd party solutions already exist.

TheKeddi
22nd December 2010, 04:58 PM
I don't understand the problem, if you see a program on the app store and you want to trial it then go google it or trot off to the developers page, gees it's not like they are making you jump puddles :-(

feeze
22nd December 2010, 05:14 PM
An important thing to take into consideration is the developer base Apple are targeting with the Mac app store.

While welcome to the store, the app store isn't targeting existing Mac developers who already have trail software and already have a web presence.

Instead, the Mac app store is targeting the legion of iOS developers they have. It's an active push to encourage the 'Halo' effect.

A lot of these developer are strict iOS development houses. Their entire business presence is on the app store and their web pages are just screen shots and a link to the app store. They're well indoctrinated into the app store culture and the 'no trial software' rule.

The no trial software rule wont be much of an issue because these guys don't do trials. One can only assume they'll continue doing what they normally do and introduce a free 'lite' version of their apps and a paid full version.

nibbles
22nd December 2010, 06:00 PM
i'm guessing apple will remove the free trial for iWork.

Stez
22nd December 2010, 11:58 PM
i'm guessing apple will remove the free trial for iWork.

Nup, they'll just distribute it through the site I'm assuming. IMO iWork trial is crucial to show Mac users that iWork isn't shithouse compared to Office just because Office is the standard for PC.