PDA

View Full Version : Why I did a JB and why I then restored back, prematurely ?

maclab
2nd December 2010, 03:10 PM
All this time I had never considered doing a jailbreak on my iPad, until just this week when I learned that the wise Apple purposely disabled Airplay from running on all other apps apart from there own, so furious that I can't use airvideo to play my stuff on the TV and ATV2, also been useless for this.

So I decided to do even though it would be a tethered JB. The JB all went fine, everything was ok till I started using cydia and installed the airplay enabler tweek, reboot after install never happened, got stuck on the apple logo!!! After 30 min of frigging around getting the iPad into restore mode and then spending 2+hrs getting it back to how it was before the JB, I remember the feeling of the days when I used a windows phone and all the messing around it took to keep it functioning.

These where the reasons I left the open world for the the controlled secure world of Apple. I can't see myself taking the plunge again, am I to quick to judge?

I am starting to worry about myself, because I am really really starting to get sick to the stomach of some of the restrictions Apple puts in their heavenly devices.

Stez
2nd December 2010, 03:51 PM
The reason it was stuck on the Apple logo is because you had to click the ''just boot tethered right now'' option in RedSn0w after you did the jailbreak. You have to do this every time you reboot with a tethered JB, including the first.

Jailbreaking is the best. One bad experience should not shy you away from trying it. Tethered is not the best but it's not like you need to ever reboot.

It's just installing an open app store. I have my lock switch back, no search bar since I never use it, AirPlay in any app, and so much more. I know that people right off the bat are scared of jailbreaking just because they're not tech savvy and it seems to have a scary name. It makes the iPad so much better, so much more customisable. It's just one app.

I challenge you to try it one more time, inbox me if you need any help, but you did everything perfectly, but to get past the Apple logo, open redsnow again, instead of clicking ''install cydia'', click ''just boot tethered right now''. You will go through the steps you went through first time and then see a pineapple instead of Apple logo and everything will be perfect.

maclab
2nd December 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi Stez,

The problem was I could could not turn it off after it went into reboot, it seemed frozen on apple logo and iTunes was did not detect it. My understanding was it had to be turned off and plugged in to run redsnow which mine couldn't do ? I ended up having to force restore mode it and do a full reinstall.

Also question about cydia, when I looked at it's products there was only a very short list of apps, how's all that work? I thought there would be 1000 nds of apps?

Thanks

yagankiely
2nd December 2010, 06:38 PM
I JB at old 3G once. There was absolutely nothing that interested me, so I went back. True story.

Stez
2nd December 2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Stez,

The problem was I could could not turn it off after it went into reboot, it seemed frozen on apple logo and iTunes was did not detect it. My understanding was it had to be turned off and plugged in to run redsnow which mine couldn't do ? I ended up having to force restore mode it and do a full reinstall.

Also question about cydia, when I looked at it's products there was only a very short list of apps, how's all that work? I thought there would be 1000 nds of apps?

Thanks

Yes, that is what happens. It is stuck on the Apple logo and can't be turned off or synced. When Redsn0w says make sure the device is turned off, the Apple logo is fine.

Cydia does have a handful of useful apps, but it's tweaks is where it really shines. That's where stuff like the Airplay hack, pull to refresh for Mail, and stuff like that is. It doesn't come in an icon, but adds stuff to your favourite apps.

Trust me. Jailbreak again, have a good long look through the Tweaks, Apps, it really enhances the device.

Here is EXACTLY what you have to do:

1. Open RedSn0w 0.9.6b4.
2. Find your firmware in Username > Library > iTunes > iPad Software Updates.
3. Click next and wait.
4. Tick the ''Install Cydia'' box.
5. Click next.
6. Turn off the device.
7. Follow prompts.
8. Wait for device to reset. (When you see Apple logo).
9. Follow steps 1, 2 and 3.
10. Tick the ''Just Boot Tethered Right Now'' box.
11. Follow prompts.
12. Enjoy the jailbreak.