PDA

View Full Version : Mail "Certificate

bnedic22
1st December 2010, 09:57 AM
Every time I start my email I get a message (the certificate for this server was signed by an unknown certifying authority.
sulis.instanthosting.com.au
How do I fix this problem?

thanks

Steeley
1st December 2010, 10:49 AM
Oooh...from memory (so forgive me if it's not quite right), when that box comes up, on it should be an option to view certificate or something like that. Once you click that box you'll have an option to add it as safe or something similar. Then it shouldn't bother you again.

bnedic22
1st December 2010, 11:44 AM
I reject the certificate but then it does not download my new emails.I'm sure there must be somewhere in the system that you can delete that certificate so it does not keep coming back.

snark
1st December 2010, 11:58 AM
...I'm sure there must be somewhere in the system that you can delete that certificate so it does not keep coming back.
Look in your Keychain.

bnedic22
1st December 2010, 12:47 PM
I have gone to keychains folder and deleted the certificates, but it comes back again when I start up my email

gehenna
1st December 2010, 12:50 PM
You'll need to Always Trust the certificate, deleting it will just keep prompting you when you retry accessing your email.

It's happening because your email provider was too cheap to buy a certificate from a reputable source, and instead created a self-signed signature. That's okay, but it just means that the signature needs to be manually installed on each device that accesses the account because it's not contained in the list of automatically trusted certificate sources that are updated in the background without you knowing.

You need to manually set the certificate to Always Trust and then it'll go away.

sirstaunch
1st December 2010, 02:11 PM
Is it from your ISP Mail? I had that with Telstra, each launch it wanted me to allow or not the certificate and although I have checked remember each time, it was still asking, most annoying. I never did find a work around for it neither in which I probably could of just got the BigPond mail fwd to my GMail account, never got around to doing though, so bnedic22, may I suggest that if you have any other email accounts that you have the troublesome one fwd to the other account. You will have to do that on the webmail page under filter and rules. Once you have that setup and working, delete it from Apple Mail and perhaps make a box and a rule that if the mail came from the email address you forwarded then put the mail into that box for easy viewing of where it came from, just a thought.

Maybe these steps may help http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/91249-unifying-your-email-mobileme.html but it doesn't have to be done with MobileMe, could be GMail, another web server where you have an email and that.

Hope that helps :-) just an idea for ya :D

bnedic22
1st December 2010, 02:37 PM
thanks to everyone, I will keep trying

bnedic22
1st December 2010, 02:39 PM
this is the certificate I keep getting.