PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Stolen

chris
19th October 2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

Last night my G4 1.5 Superdrive 12" Powerbook was stolen form my car in Northbridge, Perth.

If anyone sees one for sale from Perth could you let me know so I can check the serial number.

Serial Number is: S4H51708LRJ7.

Only 5 months old :thumbdn:

Thanks,

Chris

Disko
19th October 2005, 10:53 AM
:/

That sucks man. All the best with finding it.

samuelclarke
19th October 2005, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear that mate. :o

It's not nice when stuff is stolen (that's kinda stating the obvious)...I've had a very expensive Mountain Bike stolen off the back of our car when we were staying overnight at Air on our way up to Cairns. (and yes, it was padlocked onto the car)

chris
19th October 2005, 01:42 PM
They didn't take the power adapter - so it would be pretty easy to spot if someone tried to flog it.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

dann
19th October 2005, 03:09 PM
That sucks.

I live in Northbridge. Was it in plain view? Where was the car parked?

I will keep an eye out for it, in case anyone is offering it for sale in the street.

Dan

chris
19th October 2005, 03:30 PM
It was in the Francis Street Carpark and the laptop was in an STM sleeve inside a bigger bag behind the drivers seat - they wouldn't have seen it until they had broken into the car. They left the bigger bag and took the Laptop/sleeve.

Police came and did forensics this morning - came up with nothing of any use.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.

blakat
19th October 2005, 03:38 PM
Chris,

That's a real pain. You used to be able to register an Apple product as stolen through Apple's support staff. If you contact customer relations on 133-622 they should be able to let you know the process to register the serial as stolen.

Adam.

Byrd
19th October 2005, 04:52 PM
You'd be best to check out the local pawn shops, Crack Converters and trading post for anything suspicious. Sorry to hear of your loss of one PB.

JB

Sambo
19th October 2005, 04:57 PM
You live in Perth, take Roto's PB :P. Sorry to hear about the loss though.

helloroto
19th October 2005, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear about that Chris, if you need an OSX you could borrow my B&W until you get it back.... ;) very sorry indeed. People that do this need to be shot <_< :angry: <_< :angry:

internet
19th October 2005, 06:07 PM
dang.. what pricks..

northbridge is dodgey&#33; i&#39;ll keep an eye out in perth for ya.. next person i see with a PB i&#39;ll pounce..
"WHERE&#39;D YOU GET THAT?????????? WHATS THE SERIAL NUMBER???????"

chrismcelligott
19th October 2005, 06:25 PM
That sucks dude, It&#39;s going to be mighty hard to track down again :(

chris
19th October 2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tip blakat - I will do that.

Roto - thanks for the offer mate. I have a PowerMac at home that will suit for the moment.

It sucks because I use it for presentations when I go to interested clients (I am a wedding photographer).

Good thing all my stuff is safely backed up on my tower and on DVD.

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

chris
21st October 2005, 12:21 PM
I rang Apple and they said that there is no such register now. They just took my details but said that it would not be tracked or anything.

It seems like this would be a great idea as sooner or later someone is going to ring Apple and have to quote that serial number.

Quamen
21st October 2005, 12:42 PM
is times like these you really needed to have that little app installed that dials home when your mac connects to the internet. Then you report it stolen to the app makers and they track your mac every time it connects to the net. I just can&#39;t quite remember the name of the service/app.

montfort
21st October 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Oct 21 2005, 12:42 PM
is times like these you really needed to have that little app installed that dials home when your mac connects to the internet. Then you report it stolen to the app makers and they track your mac every time it connects to the net. I just can&#39;t quite remember the name of the service/app.
they have a version for mac - http://www.pcphonehome.com/

drewbles
21st October 2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by montfort@Oct 21 2005, 01:06 PM
they have a version for mac - http://www.pcphonehome.com/
Would that not be totally useless if they just formatted the machine? Obviously theifs are dumb though so the chance of it happening is minimal.

964RSCS
21st October 2005, 01:24 PM
MacPhoneHome doesn&#39;t allow the hard drive to be formatted or the OS to be reinstalled... apparently....

chris
21st October 2005, 03:25 PM
Wow - that looks really quite good - horse has bolted of course :(

murphdog
21st October 2005, 03:31 PM
Thats sucks mate, my 15" just packed it in and I was gutterd at least now I know why people back up&#33;

Reece
24th October 2005, 08:33 PM
I wonder what the legal deal would be with that.

If someone had "legitmately" bought your laptop from Cash Converters or whatever and you had the app installed and it called your home computer who would go and knock on the person&#39;s door and say "Hey, that&#39;s a stolen laptop"?

You couldn&#39;t, the cops wouldn&#39;t and the fed&#39;s probably wouldn&#39;t be interested.

Hmm. It sucks having your laptop stolen though. Someone stole all my CD&#39;s out of my car not so long ago. Major bummer.

Tejas
24th October 2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Reece@Oct 24 2005, 08:33 PM

If someone had "legitmately" bought your laptop from Cash Converters or whatever and you had the app installed and it called your home computer who would go and knock on the person&#39;s door and say "Hey, that&#39;s a stolen laptop"?

You couldn&#39;t, the cops wouldn&#39;t and the fed&#39;s probably wouldn&#39;t be interested.

Hmm. It sucks having your laptop stolen though. Someone stole all my CD&#39;s out of my car not so long ago. Major bummer.
doesn&#39;t matter at all. even if a buyer brought it from cashies or whatever & it&#39;s stolen the original owner can recover it and the buyer would need to take action against the store.

Reece
24th October 2005, 10:50 PM
I still think you&#39;d have quite a time trying to explain to the cops that you installed this app and it calls your home computer and lets you know where it is when it gets dialed into the net. I just think the cops would look at you like "What?" And they can&#39;t just show up on someone&#39;s doorstep without good reason and demand to see the laptop they bought from Cash Converters.

Obviously once they got their hands on the laptop the serial numbers would prove that it was stolen. Cash Converters would have to refund the money because they basically fenced stolen goods (and no, they wouldn&#39;t need to take action against the store because it&#39;s a no-brainer) to the purchaser. But it&#39;s actually getting the right to look at the laptop to see if it&#39;s stolen with only an installed app to go on that&#39;s interesting.

I don&#39;t know...maybe a tech savvy cop would?

kim jong il
25th October 2005, 05:33 AM
We do have one here as a regular member who has provided outstanding &#39;opinion&#39; (he is not, I guess, technically allowed really to offer official legal advice) When he offers advice it is brilliant. Just hope he reads this appeal.

kim

iluvmymactoo
25th October 2005, 06:54 AM
Bad break, sorry to hear this

I believe in karma. What goes around comes around.

arribadia
25th October 2005, 07:11 AM
Life works in mysterious ways..

Anyway hope you&#39;d enjoy your new 15" this coming Christmas&#33; :D

chris
25th October 2005, 11:44 AM
On the web site it says that they liase with authorities to help you.

So I think it is really a good idea.

moldor
25th October 2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Reece@Oct 24 2005, 08:33 PM

Chris - sorry to hear about your loss. You have let the AppleCentre(s) know in your area, and are watching eBay, yes ? I put mine on my household insurance as a "specified portable item" so it&#39;s covered if that ever happens...

Re: the question asked about the legal position, I can offer some insight here (as a former lawyer)..

Cash Converters could be held criminally liable for handling stolen merchandise, as they are supposed to prove ownership of everything they take in. Saying "He had a receipt that "looked OK"" isn&#39;t good enough, and they should have the seller&#39;s details on hand (verified) for the police.

In the case mentioned, the purchaser could be forced to return the laptop, and would then have to take action against Cash Converters to recover their money - or, you could argue, that Cash Converters would have to replace your laptop at their expense.

But you&#39;re right - the cops probably wouldn&#39;t care, at least if they&#39;re anything like the cops in Sydney.

Here&#39;s an idea: it could be worth this group making an approach to Apple / NextByte / whoever your resellers are over there and setting up a register opf stolen laptops, etc. I would be happy to host it (I have a shitload of webspace and bandwidth that I&#39;m not using) and if we could get the cooperation of the relevant parties it could make a difference.

You&#39;d register your theft on the site which would automatically email Apple and all the resellers to watch out for that serial number. In addition, it could probably monitor eBay as well.

What do people think ?

Jon

chris
25th October 2005, 02:13 PM
Well I think it is a wonderful idea and I would be happy to be a part of trying to contact Apple etc...

What do others think?

arribadia
25th October 2005, 02:46 PM
I doubt ebay will be of any help though.. sellers are not required to list the serials.

nez
25th October 2005, 03:31 PM
I&#39;ve learn the hard way not to leave anything of value in my car - regardless of whether its parked in a public car park or in my driveway.

You should be able to claim on your contents insurance if the laptop is covered under it?

chris
26th October 2005, 04:32 PM
So I rang the Applestores today to report the serial number in case someone tries to get the laptop serviced and one of them says, "just ring Apple to put it on their database."

I explained that I had done this and that Apple didn&#39;t do this anymore.

She said that there is a place on there web site for dealers to put in the serial number of a stolen Apple product so that it is accesable to dealers worldwide. She very kindly offered to do this for me.

Why can a dealer do this and Apple not? Unbelievable :blink:

psyke
26th October 2005, 06:11 PM
There has been a site for registering stolen numbers for a few years now - I&#39;ve had it on my (sadly not updated lately) page of secondhand mac buying links (http://www.fantastic.net.au/mac/buy.html).

The site is http://au.secondhandmac.com/

Look for the &#39;Stolen hardware Registration&#39; section.

Sadly there are plenty of entries there (the stolen numbers seem to be global, which is probably good - and it is searchable by serial number.)