View Full Version : 7D from DWI cheap

swoffa
29th November 2010, 08:22 AM
Is this too cheap to be real.

$1328 - body only

https://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=2364

dche5390
29th November 2010, 09:05 AM
Not hard to believe. Cost price for Australian distributors was around that figure a long time ago, so for SEA market, must be even lower.

swoffa
29th November 2010, 11:26 AM
Cost price for Australian distributors was around that figure a long time ago

Truely! My local B&M store has marked them down from $2700 to $2300. So that's about a 70+% markup. Is that normal?
How naive am I? Rate me 1-10 :)

soulman
29th November 2010, 11:28 AM
Just remember that you may get hit with GST when it arrives. From what I understand, DWI tends to put a dummy invoice in with the good that understates the value, but this is no guarantee that Customs won't charge you anyway. All it takes is someone to go, "a Canon 7D for $800? I don't think so..." and you'll pay GST plus a customs charge which I understand is usually about $50.

fr05ty
29th November 2010, 04:07 PM
hey there, i bought my camer from these guys about 5 months ago and it was the 7d when i got mine it was just ove $1800 with a new sandisk CF card and insured shipping i never got stung with the import duties when i looked at the sticker it was shiped as $850 worth it said. i also bought a 70-200 f/2.8 sigma lens and some other stuff totalled $1100 before the 7d never looked at the goods price but also never got a import bill of that either

hope that helps you
michael

dche5390
29th November 2010, 04:19 PM
DWI are known to undervalue their items. And Customs either don't care or haven't caught on.

There is very little margin on camera bodies for retailers in Australia, but the cost price isn't much. That is for sure.

whatamidoing
29th November 2010, 05:38 PM
The Australian photography forums all seem to recommend DWI, they generally seem to have had good feedback about DWI. I just bought a camera from their website on Sunday, waiting for the package to arrive. Saved myself a huge chunk off the total price.

hforhun
3rd December 2010, 01:29 AM
One of my mate just got the 7D body off HN for $1800. Australian stock. :S

swoffa
3rd December 2010, 07:33 AM
One of my mate just got the 7D body off HN for $1800. Australian stock. :S

That's pretty good. Cheapest bricks and mortar I've found so far is $2100. Thats a far cry from cost price of around $1400 as dche5390 reported. $700 is a huge markup.

Do you know which store he purchased from (slim chance I'm nearby)?

dalemajid
4th December 2010, 06:14 PM
Was thinking of purchasing my 7D from DWI but I read a massive thread on whirlpool, everyone that ordered from DWI ended up getting their items but some were complaining that boxes have been opened which is unacceptable for items worth well over 2k.

After reading this thread I have been turned onto citiwide online and although it is about $100 more than DWI I don't mind paying extra for good service and id rather hand my money to a reputable business rather than one that's reputation seems a bit iffy.

Anybody bought anything from citiwide? Care to share your thoughts on how it went?

Sorry to hijack but it seems to tie in to the general gist of this thread

MightyAtom
4th December 2010, 11:00 PM
Anybody bought anything from citiwide? Care to share your thoughts on how it went?

I helped a friend buy a Canon 550D from Citiwide a few months ago. The shipping was a little steep and not very fast, I think took 2-3 weeks. It arrived brand new in perfect condition, she's happy buying from them.

Appleaday
10th December 2010, 05:39 PM
I bought a Canon 500d thru DWI earlier this year.

Ordered it Friday lunch-time - had it in my hands on Monday afternoon, and that is from Hong Kong.:D

On the other hand have ordered stuff locally and waited well over a week.:D