PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into or out of getting a Apple 27" Display

cappuccino
24th November 2010, 07:53 PM
Going to upgrade from my Dell 21.5" LCD monitor (like this one but without touchscreen: Dell SX Series SX2210T 21.5"W Multi-Touch Monitor | Dell Australia (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/monitors/monitor-dell-sx2210t/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-sx2210t&s=dhs&cs=audhs1)). So going to make a big leap and a decent investment this time on screens. Screen only a year old, it was cheap $249, but I am finding the space limiting and don't want to upgrade my screen for at least 3-5 years, rather than every bloody year.

Apart from the screen, I have a full Apple setup, iPhone 4 + apple dock, iPad + apple dock and Macbook Pro. I do web development + graphic work, watch movies, never play games.

I'm thinking about just going full out and getting the Apple 27" Display at $1,299, the big selling points is that it will complete my Apple setup, it will connect nicely with the macbook pro, less cables, 2.1 speaker built in and of course awesome looking screen.

However, the Dell 27" screens look very very very tempting (UltraSharp U2711 27 inch Monitor with PremierColor Details | Dell Australia (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/monitors/monitor-dell-u2711/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2711&s=dhs&cs=audhs1)). From what I've heard its the same panel as the Apple? And its $849. I could even go get two instead of a apple screen! if the price difference was only $100-$200, i'd go Apple, but at $450, we are talking 50%+ difference.

I did play around with the Apple screen in store, love the feel and look, and will integrate nicely with macbook pro. Haven't seen Dell screens yet.

So basically, need to be talked into one or the other, opinions from those that have either of the screens (or even suggest other monitors).

Just to add, i've read a few reviews, most complain about the Apple's lack of connections... I don't use any PCs, never will, have no need and never will have need to connect to anything more than a macbook pro or other new mac. I have a dell monitor with a wack load of connections and random stuff, like DVI RBG HDMI etc etc, never used any of them. So no need to compare based on connections. In terms of the gloss, no problems either. I have no problems with the gloss on my macbook pro or on the demo apple displays in store. From what i've heard, the gloss makes text appear smoother? my screens are never in direct sunlight, so not a issue.

Also, both the dell and apple are LED right? I've noticed my none LED dell screen, and in fact every dell screen / other manufacturer before which are not LED dim in terms of brightness after just a year. I run my monitors pretty much 16-18 hours a day 365 days a year. With both the dell and apple maintain the same quality as day one, 3+ years from now? or is one better than the other?

... hmmm, dam the choice. why can't the price difference be less...

bennyling
24th November 2010, 09:37 PM
The Dell still uses CCFLs for its backlighting technology, whereas the Apple 27" is indeed a LED display.

The Apple screen is nice, but at almost TWICE the price? Not worth it, IMHO.

Stez
24th November 2010, 09:43 PM
Big difference in price, small difference in quality. Your call.

wayne
24th November 2010, 10:23 PM
The U2711 (same panel) is a tough competitor at 50% less $$.

I have 2010 MBP 17" with Matte screen (photographer) and I use it with Dell U2410 that I have had or the past year, and no loss of brightness in screen.

I have just ordered the U3011 (got it with almost 25% off even though coupon expired a while back) which will replace it. For me, the gloss screen kills the ACD.

cappuccino
24th November 2010, 10:29 PM
The Dell still uses CCFLs for its backlighting technology, whereas the Apple 27" is indeed a LED display.

The Apple screen is nice, but at almost TWICE the price? Not worth it, IMHO.

Ooo I thought it was LED, yeah that rules out the dell screen then... Gotta be LED since CCFLs just don't maintain brightness and quality for long enough. 16,000 hours vs 60,000. Also that's 16,000 hours to half brightness, so during that time it gradually looses brightness. My current CCFL dell screen is only a year old and the brightness loss means i need a new monitor already. In the past year I've clocked 10,000 hours easy.

That's makes the choice easy then, apple display, unless there is a 27" Dell LED LCD that i cant find on the dell site or other large LED LCD brand model u can recommend

iCantwait
24th November 2010, 11:58 PM
next byte have $100 off atm.......

cappuccino
25th November 2010, 07:03 AM
next byte have $100 off atm.......

Thanks, didn't think I could find anyone who sold at discount! Sydney too, so can pick up no delivery charges, nice...

lets see friday sale but first, maybe something good on friday, if not next byte looks good.

bennyling
25th November 2010, 07:34 AM
Ooo I thought it was LED, yeah that rules out the dell screen then... Gotta be LED since CCFLs just don't maintain brightness and quality for long enough. 16,000 hours vs 60,000. Also that's 16,000 hours to half brightness, so during that time it gradually looses brightness. My current CCFL dell screen is only a year old and the brightness loss means i need a new monitor already. In the past year I've clocked 10,000 hours easy.

Good thing they come with the 3 year warranty then, hey?

cappuccino
25th November 2010, 08:04 AM
Good thing they come with the 3 year warranty then, hey?

The Dell 3 year warranty doesn't cover the normal dimming that occurs. So unless they are willing to replace my screen every year for three years, not really going to help.

I'm surprised they don't make larger LED monitors yet.

LeeLee
25th November 2010, 09:13 AM

That's makes the choice easy then, apple display, unless there is a 27" Dell LED LCD that i cant find on the dell site or other large LED LCD brand model u can recommend
point of order Mr Speaker!
there are only 8760 hours in a year ;)

~Coxy
25th November 2010, 04:16 PM
The Dell screen is better image quality even though it has CCFL backlighting...

Abaddon
25th November 2010, 05:14 PM
point of order Mr Speaker!
there are only 8760 hours in a year ;)

He was obviously talking about a leap year.....and a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry big leap! :laughing:

LeeLee
26th November 2010, 07:42 AM
He was obviously talking about a leap year.....and a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry big leap! :laughing:
teehee, or a year measured in "microsoft minutes"?

aetpo
29th November 2010, 06:25 PM
I know what cappuccino means about the screen 'dimming'. I bought a new Dell 24" last year to go with my MacMini and it's dimming already, and I probably only use it 30 hours a week since I use it just for TV and DVDs.

I gave it to my son last week and bought myself a new Apple 27" monitor and I can't believe the difference, now I'm starting to use it with my new MBAir, just for another reason to use it, and having the extra USBs is useful for external drives (I store all my music, photo's and avi's externally).

Yes, it's a lot of money, but it's worth it in the longrun. My brother-in-law (who's a PC person *groan*) swears by Apple displays. He has a 24" he bought a couple of years ago and a 20" that's got to be 8 years old. He reckons he'd never use any other brand now....if you knew him, you'd understand what a big thing that is.

BAMBI
29th November 2010, 07:01 PM
I tossed up between the 27" and a $600 Dell Ended up splitting the difference with a refurb store 24" once I saw a few used 24" go for between $700 and $1300 (although that one reappeared a day after it closed).

cappuccino
30th November 2010, 08:57 AM
Ended up getting brand new 27" apple screen $100 off $1,299 at $1,199 from dick smiths on 12 months interest free, considering I had the cash, its another $60-$70 worth of interest I will get through the year yum. Been HSBC card holder for a while, much better than GE money, no annual fees, no account keeping, true and proper interest free.

I got to see both screens, and the LED backlighting is unmatched, very much worth the extra $350, the combination of the LED backlighting and glossy screen makes the colours very vibrant, the colours look much richer and brighter than the dell. The fonts look much smoother as well.

btw, i tried them at the dell kiosk and apple store with my laptop, so no difference between OS.

cappuccino
30th November 2010, 09:07 AM
I know what cappuccino means about the screen 'dimming'. I bought a new Dell 24" last year to go with my MacMini and it's dimming already, and I probably only use it 30 hours a week since I use it just for TV and DVDs.

I gave it to my son last week and bought myself a new Apple 27" monitor and I can't believe the difference, now I'm starting to use it with my new MBAir, just for another reason to use it, and having the extra USBs is useful for external drives (I store all my music, photo's and avi's externally).

Yes, it's a lot of money, but it's worth it in the longrun. My brother-in-law (who's a PC person *groan*) swears by Apple displays. He has a 24" he bought a couple of years ago and a 20" that's got to be 8 years old. He reckons he'd never use any other brand now....if you knew him, you'd understand what a big thing that is.

I thought so, I knew it wasn't in my head, because i have the macbook pro with the LED lighting which i got with my old dell screen. In the beginning the dell screen was brighter and had richer colours, but after about a year (hence why i said 10,000 hours. i.e. over a year, not exactly a year, smart asses, get over yourselves) the dell screen was dimmer and had poorer colours than the mbp. The price difference between the $849 dell screen and the apple screen $1,199 (got discount and 12 month interest free) was $350, extra 100% worth it even just after 1 year.