PDA

View Full Version : Lion user interface changes

Oldmacs
20th November 2010, 07:44 AM
I was flicking through old macworlds (2006) to find an article on replacing an emacs DVD drive and happened across an article on the first preview of leopard. When lion was released I remember people were disappointed as they though there was going to be a new interface. I still think that this is possible as I was looking through the first screen shots and it looked like tiger running time machine,spaces and the new iChat. So maybe there will be a new interface that is announced later on.

Arkhum_Eramak
20th November 2010, 01:01 PM
It's certainly a possibility. You should see pictures of OS X Server, the very first OS X release, compared with OS X 10.0. Server looks like a weird cross between OS9 and NeXtstep yet OSX had the Aqua interface when it finally was released. And they were two versions that were released, not just previews of a future iteration!

macbookproi7
14th January 2011, 01:57 PM
I really hope the new OS (10.7) is good and stays along the lines of other Mac Operating Systems.. NOT iOS's.

In the keynote they talk about trying to incorporate some of the features from their iOS devices into the operating system and I really don't want that. In fact I would actually like them to maybe go a little more complex in the use... or maybe have a easy to use OR customizable experienced user type setting that includes a more direct and simpler form of the Terminal.
Getting people to use and understand what is actually going on in the computer if they would like to. But also like I said giving them the option of switching that off so it is very basic and people can just play around without giving it much thought.

Also!.. those books you see at the shop that are made at Apple called 'Mac OS X guide, the book that should have come with the software' fairly large book.. but yes it definately should have come with the software for everyone.

yagankiely
14th January 2011, 03:28 PM
Why do people say they dislike what they pessimistically predict apple will do (when in reality, no-one know)?

By incorporating iOS in OS X, they are likely no going to just simplify things (who in the world wants things complex anyway? If there's a simpler way of doing the same thing, it is, by default, better…), they are adding features also. Just look at what they already revealed. A knew way to manage full screen apps is not directly borrowing from iOS at all, but it is finding a weekness in OS X, and filling it in a way they you [I]can[\I] relate to iOS.

Wait till they announce it before you complain, and to be reasonable, wait until your tried it for a couple of months…

Also!.. those books you see at the shop that are made at Apple called 'Mac OS X guide, the book that should have come with the software' fairly large book.. but yes it definately should have come with the software for everyone.No! If people need those features, its just a quick google search away. Including a small forest with every cd of an OS, or new Mac is simply a waste, unneeded and unapple-like. The extreme few that need a clumsy book (when a website or PDF is ridiculously better) can buy a third party book, it's not worth anyone's investment to supply those few.

macbookproi7
15th January 2011, 11:07 PM
Good point, But I'm not even a nig fan of the App Store, Maybe because I'm am impulse buyer so it's startint to cost me.I juust don't want to be able to drag and drop applications ontno eachother on the desktop to make FOLDERS like in ios. I want my computer to stay a computer and iPhon/iPad to stay as they are. In fact the novelty has warn off my ipad.... its turned into a $700 scrabble board everyone elese in my family uses.

rhys84au
17th January 2011, 10:23 PM
Having just come into the apple foray in the last 2 years (ipod touch, then macbook pro 3 months ago.. ipad a month ago) iam really looking forward to seeing the stuff they have planned implemented. Loving the idea of how the mac is as complex as you want it to be and for me simpler is better at this point and lion looks to make it easier.

my mac pro isnt my first use of OS X as i had used it at work/friends but it has definitely been the most simple transition i have done. (having gone from windows to a few differing linux distro's)

looking forward to it.

macbookproi7
19th January 2011, 05:05 AM
well, I'm always satisfied with whatever they bring out so I'm sure I'l adapt.

JamesST
7th February 2011, 06:06 AM
I think the user interface on computers is very tightly tied to the hardware: whilst we're mostly using touchpads and mice instead of touch-screens or other crazy or yet-to-be-invented input devices then there isn't much you can sensibly do to a user interface.

As more and more people use macs, I also think it'll be harder to change what they're used to: it's much easier for a niche manufacturer (as apple used to be) to say, "this is what's right, live with it", than it is for a huge mainstream monolith. (yeah, I'm thinking MS ;)

Then again I might just be short sighted!

yagankiely
7th February 2011, 12:53 PM
.I juust don't want to be able to drag and drop applications ontno eachother on the desktop to make FOLDERS like in ios. THat's (presumably, anyway) only in Launchpad.