PDA

View Full Version : Best portable storage for iPad media?

Maxim Litvinov
19th November 2010, 11:24 AM
The problem: 16GB iPad going overseas with no computer. Wanting to take more like 20GB worth of movies to watch on it over with me.

Anyone volunteer the best solution?

So far, I've considered the following:

[1] Just use the Camera Connection Kit and a couple of SD cards. Problems? First, that there is no good way of knowing for sure what movie you are downloading from SD card to CCK, second that you have to delete things off your iPad as you go to make way for the new movies and third that only get to watch the movie through the Photos app.
[2] Get an AirStash and use it with a couple of SD cards. Problems? Costs about $100+shipping from US. Also, it only sticks SD cards on a wireless network, so isn't particularly versatile. I also don't know how good its streaming is.
[3] Get a Pogoplug Pro. Problems? It has only come out recently and no-one talks about how good its streaming is or whether it's a worthy solution. Also, it's bigger and requires mains power. But, for the same price as an AirStash it would allow me to stream whole USB drives worth of media to my iPad, it seems.

Anyone know of something better? I'm talking about a portable, $100 or less device that will allow me to stream video to my iPad over a local WiFi network. At the moment, I've just ordered an AirStash, but can cancel the order before Monday if I hear of something better.

harrisonx
19th November 2010, 12:44 PM
Jailbreak and use the camera kit to connect a hard drive?

tcn33
19th November 2010, 12:52 PM
AirVideo from home?

decryption
19th November 2010, 01:21 PM
Just copy 16gb of videos and stop worrying. Enjoy your holiday, not watch a movie :)

Maxim Litvinov
19th November 2010, 01:25 PM
Somehow, jailbreaking doesn't appeal - the disk mounting/browsing hack isn't really particularly clean.

Accessing stuff over the net and I'm not sure about speeds or even internet access in NZ.

Only having 16GB of video minus whatever apps and other things I like on my iPad = one or two of the movies I have for the month. Not worrying is a good idea, but not seeing most of my DVDs isn't.

gehenna
19th November 2010, 01:47 PM
Internet access is much the same quality in NZ as it is in Oz, just more expensive.

ednap
19th November 2010, 02:16 PM
Just related to the NZ part, when I visited NZ earlier this year I bought a local micro sim and data so I could access email etc. Yes was more expensive but 90% or places I visted (Sth island only this trip) was able to get a connection.

BTW, I bought the SIM card in Christchurh and I'm glad I did as when I asked about it in other places (actually wanted more data) no one had any for the iPad.

decryption
19th November 2010, 02:18 PM
Somehow, jailbreaking doesn't appeal - the disk mounting/browsing hack isn't really particularly clean.

Accessing stuff over the net and I'm not sure about speeds or even internet access in NZ.

Only having 16GB of video minus whatever apps and other things I like on my iPad = one or two of the movies I have for the month. Not worrying is a good idea, but not seeing most of my DVDs isn't.

You should be able to fit at least 8 or 10 movies within 12GB of space... plenty for a 1 month holiday?

johnq
19th November 2010, 02:27 PM
Gotta say I think AirStash looks great. A couple of three 32GB fast SD cards and the AirStash and you have a light, reasonably robust storage mechanism. Looking that the video demo on the site movies stream pretty well. I think the fact that it is wireless is a real bonus - no more pesky cables to carry. I seems that with this there is no need for the iPad camera connector too.

Maxim Litvinov
19th November 2010, 02:35 PM
You should be able to fit at least 8 or 10 movies within 12GB of space... plenty for a 1 month holiday?
If I delete my music and photo library from the iPad then I would have this much space (with around 3GB of apps). 8 to 10 movies would be okay, except I'm meeting up with my wife in NZ (long story) and we tend to get through a lot quickly. I have one series of Jeeves & Wooster which is already 3GB and even adding a box set to this would make out the space.

Gotta say I think AirStash looks great.
I do like the look of the AirStash, which is one way I justified it to myself. Essentially, it doesn't really achieve much more than the Camera Connection Kit, but with an upgrade of the software last month and with promises (potentially dodgy ones) of eventually allowing to save *back* to the AirStash, it does look good and 'add functionality'.

Aladdin
19th November 2010, 04:02 PM
What about buying a 64GB iPad?

Maxim Litvinov
19th November 2010, 04:33 PM
Could have. Didn't want to spend the extra few hundred at the time.

iPadlover22
19th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Honestly, if storage is your main concern then I think it'll be best to sell the 16GB and buy yourself a 32 or 64GB. There's been quite a few posted in the For Sale forum, and that way you'll never have to worry about running out of space or carrying around extra gear :)