PDA

View Full Version : OSX Dock behaving badly

forgie
17th October 2005, 12:01 AM
Sometime when I open my iBook from sleep (running 10.4.2) I click on an open app in the dock, and instead of opening the app, OSX does a "Show in finder". So I click on Mail, and my Applications folder opens up.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? It only happens once in about every 20 'wake ups,' but it's happened enough times for me to notice it.

Rayd
17th October 2005, 12:19 AM
hmm that usually happens when you hold apple and click the application, maybe your key is stuck or something wrong with the USB port? try a diferent port.

EDIT: lol its a iBook, my bad :P

forgie
17th October 2005, 02:52 AM
I'm using the keyboard on the iBook, lol :) You're right, it acts as though I'm holding the command key down, only the key isn't stuck - it only ever happens when the iBook wakes from sleep. Next time it happens I'll check to see if OSX thinks the command key is pressed, or if it's a dock specific thing, by testing a few other things that behave differently when the command key is held down.

Currawong
17th October 2005, 08:41 AM
You might have a faulty keyboard. I've had this kind of weirdness with the computer thinking the control key is pressed, though it wasn't waking from sleep.

xfodder
17th October 2005, 09:48 AM
my dock is playing up too, IT ISNT EVEN SHOWING ! doesnt matter i never use the stupid thing anyway..... 1 word....QUICKSILVER ! :P

mjankor
17th October 2005, 12:00 PM
Have you got autohide turned on on the dock xfodder?

xatz
17th October 2005, 01:35 PM
Actually weird thing happened yesterday to my dock.
I restarted my iBook, then there was a second 'Safari' with a question mark as the icon......
Weird!

iMick
17th October 2005, 02:32 PM
Mine does this as well!

However, I the leaning to the sticky dried ginger beer underneath the cmd key that is doing it :(

I have no idea how to clean it up, and it is just above the toasty HDD so it just gets stickier and stickier!

AusMac
17th October 2005, 06:01 PM
Tiger is very quirky.. wait and see what happens in the next release .. or go back to
Panther, your choice.

To clean your keyboard, you must have the correct tools and nous.
If you are trained, even better.

The keyboard needs to be disassembled ^^

Ask me for more info, if you want but I am sure the info is available by searching the database or google.

Originally posted by xatz@Oct 17 2005, 01:35 PM
Actually weird thing happened yesterday to my dock.
I restarted my iBook, then there was a second 'Safari' with a question mark as the icon......
Weird!
This is because you have Two Safari's or you have not deleted the last alias from the Dock.
This may occur if one of the Safari's has been moved or not installed in the correct place.
Did you recently update Safari or any system update, from security update to full system?

forgie
19th October 2005, 05:12 PM
Well it just happened again, and after I clicked on Camino (Mozilla browser for OSX) and the Applications folder opened up, I tried clicking on a few different icons, and the all got selected. This means its Tiger itself, and nothing to do with the dock. I don't see how it could be a hardware issue, since it only happens when the iBook wakes up, never during operation. I guess I'll just have to wait until X.4.3 to see if they have fixed this wierd behaviour.

nicwithsticks
19th October 2005, 05:33 PM
When I did my first install of Tiger this year, my Dock was doing bizzaro things also. A quick reinstall fixed the problem and it's been fine ever since.

Of course, that was under 10.4. I wouldn't think you'd have those types of problems under 10.4.2, but who knows. Maybe a quick backup and reinstall is the answer here if the problem is getting worse or re-occuring.