PDA

View Full Version : My Mac is slo w in g down?

Jimbo
2nd August 2004, 12:55 AM
Recently my G4 has been slowing down to the point of itunes taking around 30 seconds to open, it usually takes like 5 or so, i'm confused. It seems like the same problem windows gets when you don't have a firewall and your Pee C gets spyware!

Also there is often some random disc mumbling like now when i'm typing this message.

it seems like the Mac is doing something else in the background.

Is there some way i can find out and or pput a stop to it, short of wiping and re-installing panther? :unsure:

Disko
2nd August 2004, 01:09 AM
have you tried opening Activity Monitor and viewing all processes? You can see the CPU/Ram hogs there.

Otherwise there is the 'top' command in terminal.

whitegoat
2nd August 2004, 05:38 PM
Barring disk related issues (run fsck in single user mode), try running Cocktail - it will do all the neato maintenance stuff that OS 10 needs (prebind, cron scripts, cache deletion, permission repair). Cocktail used to be freeware but made the jump to shareware several moons ago.

Granted there are numerous freeware stuff that does the individual things within Cocktail but I have found it so reliable and so one-stop I parted with my clams.

Simply run all the options listed in Pilot and set Cocktail to either re-start or shutdown when finished (important seeing system and user cache files are being removed). On next restart you'll notice the menu bar is slow to appear - that's because your System is busy created new cache files. Once that's out the way you see notice good general improvement.

It can be downloaded at http://www.macosxcocktail.com/index.html. The download is fully functional for 30 days.

Jimbo
2nd August 2004, 11:32 PM
hmm, Thanks whitegoat, something to invest in for the future maybe, i took the easy option and cheap, and just backed up, formatted and re-installed. only took about 2 hours, ah the bliss of no longer going to school, na dhaving a weeks paid holiday.

Gothikon
3rd August 2004, 07:32 AM
Updating the pre binding help when apps are taking too long to load. I think running cocktail would have been the easier option actually! Worth doing now and again anyway.

stickman67
3rd August 2004, 10:19 AM
If you don't want to pay for Cocktail, most of its functionality (and probably the most important bits -- cron jobs, permission repairs, update prebinding) is available with a freeware app called Onyx, which gets generally good reviews at VersionTracker and MacUpdate. It can be downloaded from here (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582).

Using a utility to carry out your cron jobs, repair permissions and now and again update prebinding sure beats the hell out of backing up, formatting and reinstalling, IMHO. B)