PDA

View Full Version : MBP second HDD running XP, possible?

forno
15th November 2010, 10:19 AM
I have been looking around, but have not found anyone that actually done it.

So who has a second HDD solely for XP??

mtny
15th November 2010, 03:21 PM
The EFI emulation doesn't support it, only booting from the same drive as OSX. Rather pointless any, you wouldn't get any speed increase from doing it.

Its possible there could be a workaround, but I highly doubt it would be worth your time.

~Coxy
15th November 2010, 04:16 PM
The EFI emulation doesn't support it, only booting from the same drive as OSX. Rather pointless any, you wouldn't get any speed increase from doing it.

I don't think this is true. I know Mac Pro owners that have Windows on its own disk.
I have had XP and Win7 on their own disks, but that isn't true EFI so it might be different.

And there would definitely be a speed increase, from giving the OS its own huge drive rather than a cramped partition on the slow section of the disk. Doubly so if you run Windows inside a VM.

Brains
16th November 2010, 12:31 AM
The simplest way to fool the EFI load-system is to make a rather tiny FAT partition on the internal hard drive that just points to installs onto a second drive. Multi-drive dualboot, in other words.

The_Hawk
16th November 2010, 07:43 AM
I was toying with Bootcamp over firewire or over an eSATA port from a MBP with an express card. The card worked fine under OS X too, just couldn't get Windows onto the drive otherwise. The idea was to have a dedicated HDD sitting in an external enclose on my desk at home so I could boot into Windows to play a couple of games without having to carry around all that extra guff all the time. Essentially I didn't want to have to dedicate a large chunk of my HDD to Windows if I could avoid it.

Long story short I kept hitting issues so it didn't happen. Of course an optibay enclosure might have different results since it's directly connected, but I never went that extreme. There were a few other things I was going to try, but in the end it just wasn't worth the effort since the one game I wanted to play (GTA IV) runs like rubbish on a MBP :P