PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight problem

Optogamut
16th October 2005, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure when this happened, but my spotlight icon in the menubar doesn't work. Clicking on it does nothing, though the other menus will open until I click again. Also the control-spacebar shortcut just highlights the icon in the menubar, but there's still no search field or anything.

Any ideas how I can get it going again?

cheers.

mrbolano
27th February 2006, 01:05 PM
This has just happened to me as well - not encouraged by the fact that Optogamut received no replies to this post but no point in starting another for the saem problem.

I rebult my directory using Disk Warrior and that's when Spotlight stop working from the dektop icon.

Any ideas?

soulman
27th February 2006, 01:17 PM
"SystemUIServer" sometimes crashes - actually just becomes unresponsive - on my machine. Open "Activity Monitor" (in Utilities) and list all processes. Scan the list & see if you can see "SystemUIServer." Select it and then click the "Quit Process" button in the toolbar. It will relaunch automatically.

mrbolano
27th February 2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Feb 27 2006, 01:17 PM
Open "Activity Monitor" (in Utilities) and list all processes. Scan the list & see if you can see "SystemUIServer."
Soulman you da man!

That did the trick - thanks!

soulman
27th February 2006, 01:37 PM
Cool! Glad it worked. :) I should have mentioned that SystemUIServer runs the right hand side of the menu bar but you've probably gathered this by now...