PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Mac Pro HDMI output question...

SimonB
10th November 2010, 10:11 PM
Hey, I am planning on connecting my proposed Mac Pro up to my HDMI equipped amp and then onto my 1080p capable TV (see my other thread tonight in the Desktop forum).

I assume that the HDMI output will just be seen as a 3rd screen to the OS? How do I tell the VLC, Plex, iFlicks or whatever video player program to send it to that HDMI output? Is it just a settings (sorry, preferences) thing?

SimonB
11th November 2010, 08:30 AM
No-one?

bartron
11th November 2010, 10:23 AM
It should just come up as a second screen in your display preferences. I don't have a HDMI capable Mac but the signal is just DVI with audio so you should be fine.

As far as sending video to it it should work as any other monitor. Drag the VLC, plex whathaveyou windows to the HDMI display and fullscreen it.

This is coming from what I, as a mac user, would expect to happen. As stated I don't have a HDMI capable mac so aren't aware if you can have the HDMI display set to display video output only when required.

SimonB
11th November 2010, 11:57 AM
Okay, as I suspected. I am hoping it can be a little more streamlined though, so I don't have to drag the video to that screen as it will be my main TV which is in a different location to the main 2 screens. No worries, time will tell :rolleyes:.

Thanks for your response.

~Coxy
11th November 2010, 04:04 PM
Which video care do you have in your Mac Pro?
Only recent ATi cards can have three screen at once. All others only drive two.

SimonB
11th November 2010, 06:29 PM
Which video care do you have in your Mac Pro?
Only recent ATi cards can have three screen at once. All others only drive two.

Don't have it yet, will probably be ordering tomorrow. It'll be the ATI 5770 or, more probably, the 5870.

Simon....