PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning in Mac OS X - Open or Closed?

cosmichobo
7th November 2010, 08:43 AM
G'day,

When I use the Finder to burn a DVD, does it automatically close the session when finished the burning process?

(My Samsung DVD player stutters when playing DIVX files that I've burnt from the Finder; has been suggested to me that it's because the session hasn't been closed. )

cheers

cosmic

bartron
7th November 2010, 10:03 AM
Google is quick. The number one hit for finding out the answer is....this thread :(

I honestly couldn't say but anything I've burned in the finder has been readable in lots of other things (DVD players, windows/Linux etc) and some of those won't work at all if the session hasn't been closed.

One way to find out is to burn something to a disc, then try and burn something else to it. If the session is still open you should be able to do it. This might not work in finder but something like Toast should be able to.

cosmichobo
7th November 2010, 10:13 AM
Don't you just hate MacTalk. Always first in the search results. :)

(Was gonna say - but HONEST I did search google!)

I don't personally think Apple would be so stupid, but some wank at cnet says it's not the default to close the session...

I've also had no issues with Mac burned disks before... But nor can I get a straight answer RE my DIVX via DVD issue, so I keep asking the question over there on the Samsung sponsored & (occasionally) answered forum...

dezinerau
7th November 2010, 11:49 AM
Have you tried the same DivX files on a DVD created using Burn or Toast?

jusrus
7th November 2010, 11:57 AM
I would be surprised if it didn't close the session, but you never know. I'm a Toast man (though it has been buggy to the point of stupid of late) but a lot of people swear by Burn (which is free and open source) :

Burn - Home (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html)

Until you find you answer, I would suggest using an alternative!

gehenna
7th November 2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah I gave up on the toast bloat a few years ago and have stuck with Burn ever since, you can't go wrong.

cosmichobo
7th November 2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, main problem is the 100s of DVDs I've already burned... :(

I'll try a Toast disk... see if that has the same issues.