PDA

View Full Version : Myob Software

Myob
14th October 2005, 07:17 PM
Dear Apple Mac Users,

I am wondering if any of you currently use Myob Software cross platform ie run your myob datafile on both Mac and IBM compatibles operating systems?

Regards
Phil
:huh:

PS-Are you using software with a picture of blue hand on the CD cover that has a large X(with words built for Mac OS X)? See the attachment to this post...

mwot
14th October 2005, 08:56 PM
Incidently, why do you ask?

I used to run MYOB on a PC (version 9 or something); but now run MYOB AccountEdge v3 on the Mac.

What are you trying to achieve with your query?

BTW, there was no attachment to your post.

new2mac
14th October 2005, 09:17 PM
What the?

The only way that could happen would be with the OS x86 hack.

Now who would do something illegal & unethical like that?

MidnightMan
14th October 2005, 09:57 PM
What the?
The only way that could happen would be with the OS x86 hack.

No. A PC MYOB Premier or Accounting Plus data file will open easily on MYOB AccountEdge for the Mac. It's no different to opening a Microsoft Word file on the Mac or the PC.

Whether you get the same functionality in the different versions of MYOB and whether you can go back to the PC after changing things in the data file is another story. I have only ever gone from PC to Mac and I only ever need to look at transactions while using the Mac. I am also only using the latest versions of both PC and Mac MYOB products.

new2mac
14th October 2005, 10:01 PM
Hey I didn't know that. Excellent.

One more step towards changing my business machines over completely to Mac. I like the sound of this. :D

mwot
14th October 2005, 10:12 PM
Just checked. I was running MYOB Accounting v10 on my PC. This version was cross-platform compatible - that is, would install on both Mac and PC. This made my move across to a Mac a lot easier. To boot, I scored a free upgrade from MYOB to AccountEdge v3, my current version - which is now Mac or PC only. This let me run MYOB natively in OS X, instead of in Classic.

new2mac
14th October 2005, 10:39 PM
mwot - I hate myob.

But I need it so it's just one of those things in life that must be survived.

Is it any better on OSX, because if it is I'm changing platforms right now. At least that way I can feel half OK about using that damn package. I'm using the latest v15 Acc Plus.

mwot
14th October 2005, 10:59 PM
I don't know if there are any differences between the Mac and PC versions of AccountEdge - as I've only used it on the Mac. But Accounting v10 was the same on both platforms; at least, I didn't notice a difference between the two.

I'd suggest contacting MYOB and specifically ask to talk to someone who can tell you about the Mac only versions and if there are any key differences.

Of course, the Mac version will have you running a Mac on OS X ... so you still might hate the software, but you'll love the Operating System! ... what more convincing could you possibly need?? :)

EDIT: you could download a trial version (http://myob.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Page&pagename=MYOB/Page/ContentPageWithoutNav&cid=1111637512493) for the Mac and see how you go.

sfcoy
14th October 2005, 11:55 PM
For those not old enough to remember, MYOB was born on a Macintosh and ported to Windows.

Steve C.

new2mac
14th October 2005, 11:58 PM
:huh:

Didn't know that?

964RSCS
15th October 2005, 12:00 AM
I grudgingly use myob first edge. It shits me to tears. Unnecessarily complex, il-logical to my way of thinking, and very definately not user friendly/intuitive. Talking to many others, I'm not the only one who feels that way. The people I know who use it do so because they feel their accountants almost force them to. I would drop it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately it is one of a very few small business Mac accounting programs.

How do they manage to make it so difficult to use??!! No wonder there are so many third party books on how to use it.... MYOB are onto a great wicket, charging for customer support after a limited "free" period at the start. hmm, perhaps that's why it's such a pain in the arse to use.

I only use it to print invoices now. All my other accounting is done in spread sheets or just with good ol' paper, pen and ruler.

Roll on Quicken Quickbooks AU for Mac!!!

phew, that's better :D Excuse my rant, myob brings out the best in me.

As for the original question from Phil of MYOB, no, I don't use it cross platform.

new2mac
15th October 2005, 12:07 AM
Yup my accountant makes me use it too :(

As for CS - average wait time = 30mins! Don't get me started, anyone would think I paid for the service :angry:

964RSCS
15th October 2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by new2mac@Oct 15 2005, 12:07 AM
As for CS - average wait time = 30mins!
I wonder why.....

lenny
15th October 2005, 07:32 AM
I couldn't live without it. Maybe people don't like it because it has a database rather than a spreadsheet logic. But that's essential for anything more complex than individual tax returns. And that fact it's disc based rather than RAM based gives lots more security. Reports could be more flexible, chart of accounts could have more levels. But that's the same on mac & pc. We use multi user version. Biggest complaint is we used to use Premier which was fully cross platform. Now you have to pay for 2 multi user licenses - one mac & one pc. Not good. :angry:

Currawong
15th October 2005, 08:44 AM
The solution is to switch to MoneyWorks (http://www.cognito.co.nz/index.php). Dunno if you can transfer data from MYOB (probably not) but it's much nicer to use. Demo's are on that site too.

Myob
15th October 2005, 02:17 PM
Hey Mac Users,

Thanks for all your replys. From what I can gather you have been a bit disappointed with Myob older Mac versions but interesting to hear comments about AccountEdge(Runs on Mac OS X)compatibility with windows platforms seems that its working well but licensing arrangements a hassle.

Regards
Phil

datacenter
15th October 2005, 05:25 PM
I was running MYOB 12 on my PC and now stick to AccountEdge 5 on my mac,

Must admit, V5 is pretty good.

I trialled V3 on the mac and Loved it, the latest version works well.

My only complaint was Pc - > Mac conversion was specific version to specific, I.e. i had to upgrade PC V12 -> 15 then V15 - > Mac V5

Other than that, its great.

Steve

konni
26th October 2005, 09:02 PM
H E L P !

I'm still using MYOB v. 11 - the only reason I ever need to fire up Classic. I haven't needed to upgrade as I don't do wages or GST. I know MYOB is pretty clumsy but it does seem logical in the accounting sense. Anyway my needs are simple but I depend on MYOB to keep my books in order - so I'm scared to try something new.

My problem is that something has gone haywire. I can't do a backup. Data is getting saved ok though.

I get an error message "DANGER!!! Memory Very Low!!! Close all windows and Save as soon as possible".

Then another error message, "some items were encrypted or compressed with an optimiser that the Stuffit Engine does not currently support. They have been skipped."

I've been using this version of MYOB for over 2 years without problem. The only thing I've changed recently is an apple security update and loaded a new version of Photoshop and Firefox.

I'm using OS-10.3. Over 45GB free HDD and 1GB RAM.

Anyone got a suggestion of where to start troubleshooting? Something's gotten corrupted. I'm scared I'll lose functionality - and I still have to roll over 04/05 books.

rooread
26th October 2005, 09:15 PM
I just bought firstedge to go with my new business and I'm loving it. So is my accountant!

vid
26th October 2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by lenny@Oct 15 2005, 08:02 AM
Biggest complaint is we used to use Premier which was fully cross platform. Now you have to pay for 2 multi user licenses - one mac & one pc. Not good. :angry:
I bought MYOB Premier in early 2000 before GST came in and while it took quite some time to get used to, we did and found it quite good. We bought Premier not because it was cross platform but because it was the "multi user version", I think we upgraded once when it was still Premier and then again twice to Account edge V2, I am happy with what Account Edge does for us but I am getting a little worried at the size of the file it is now almost 150mb and it is starting to SLOW up.