PDA

View Full Version : AVI files to DVD for DVD player

Galumay
14th October 2005, 06:21 PM
I have a couple of avi files i downloaded, i would like to burn them and play them in my DVD player but I cant seem to get them in the right format - and maybe its not possible.

What i am doing is converting them using ffmpegX to another format, i have tried ".MOV mpeg 4" and ".mp4 mpeg 4" but niether of these will play in the DVD player when I burn them to a DVD.

The manual for the player is not very clear on supported formats other than to say "DVD-R DVD-Video format. (And yes I am using DVD-R discs.)

Any help would be appreciated!

Rayd
14th October 2005, 06:22 PM
just use iDVD? would that work?

Galumay
14th October 2005, 06:26 PM
i thought of that but i cant seem to get the avi or the .dvd file to load into iDVD?
(trying to drop and drag from finder)

EDIT- well i can get the .mov file on there but when i preview it there is no video, just sound??

the_OM
14th October 2005, 06:39 PM
I just use idvd to burn .avi's i've downloaded.
Try putting them in your movie folder, and you should be able to access them from media tab in the customize panel. You can drag them and drop them from there.

Drag and Drop from finder should work though, I just did it then and it was fine. Do you have the proper codec's installed in quicktime to watch them in quicktime? Or do you watch them in VLC or some other player? try getting the codecs for it, because if I'm not mistaken idvd uses the installed codecs that quicktime use to convert and encode them.

Galumay
14th October 2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks the_OM, but i have not made myself clear, i want to play the DVD's in my Pioneer DVD player/recorder thru the TV. I can play them on the PB no worries.

Rayd
14th October 2005, 06:57 PM
if your encoded version (.mov) only does sound, try a diferent encoder, it should have both vid and sound, or a deferent codec.

titan44
14th October 2005, 07:30 PM
not quite sure what you want but.

Export .avi to .mov using quicktime (pro) using motion jpeg b video compression.

If this crashes, it more than likely an audio problem, demux ( split out audio/video ).
( make sure you have the hd space )

once the video is converted, add scaled audio.

Drop into toast and make a dvd video ( havn't tried iMovie, should work ).

This isn't the quickest way or most efficient way, but i've found it's produces the best quality.
Good luck.

deang
15th October 2005, 10:13 AM
Get a dvd player that plays AVIs would probably be the easiest way.

deang
15th October 2005, 10:16 AM
I've got one of these to play AVIs http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/home_entertai...v686/index.html (http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/home_entertainment/dvdplayersandrecorders/dv686/index.html) and its great. You can just burn any sort of AVI to DVD and it will let you browse the disc and play what ever file you want. Excellent PQ and SQ. Does SACD and DVDA as well. You can get them for around $200

Cheers, Dean

chocho
15th October 2005, 10:36 AM
i have opened avi's in imovie then edited and created idvd project (from imovie). that works well! also have dropped avi's into toast 6 and made a dvd.

hope that helps

the_OM
15th October 2005, 10:49 AM
I've dropped avi's into idvd and it works perfectly, which is what I was trying to say in my earlier post.

tommelbourne
15th October 2005, 10:51 AM
I just drop the .avi's straight into Toast 7 and it can then burn them as proper Video DVD's. It handles the encoding and everything, all you have to do is push the burn button.