PDA

View Full Version : Future Apple iBooks



Quasar
1st August 2004, 09:31 AM
So I'm thinking of getting a iBook, but I'm wondering if we're likely to see a updated iBook in the near future (by say Feb or so). I mean, looking over the release history of the iBook (http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html) there's generally a less than 12 mnth gap between models.

Ronin+Scissors
1st August 2004, 09:45 AM
It's possible that Apple may update the iBook line along with the iMacs (at the end of US summer holidays) but it will be nothing more than a speed-bump. You could wait until then, but really, considering the ~100-200 Mhz increments are quite inconsequential, I wouldn't really count it as a major factor. The A$ has lost ground against the US$ since the last iBook revision, so I doubt there will be a price reduction. If I were in your position the only thing that would make me wait would be if I particularly wanted a DVD burner in a 12" model, which is quite likely in the next revision.

-Ronin with Scissors

Quasar
1st August 2004, 09:53 AM
Hmm...one thing I would hold out for is some way to use the DVI screens with the iBook. Of course I guess Apple could decide to keep that for Powerbooks only.

MightyAtom
1st August 2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Ronin+Scissors@Aug 1 2004, 09:45 AM
but it will be nothing more than a speed-bump.
I suspect the next iBook will also have a video card that fully supports Core Image, that'll be well worth waiting for.

MightyAtom
1st August 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Quasar@Aug 1 2004, 09:53 AM
Hmm...one thing I would hold out for is some way to use the DVI screens with the iBook. Of course I guess Apple could decide to keep that for Powerbooks only.
Yeah, I doubt we'll see DVI on the iBook until the Powerbook has gone G5, there just isn't enough to distinguish them at the moment.

Quasar
1st August 2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by MightyAtom+Aug 1 2004, 10:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MightyAtom @ Aug 1 2004, 10:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ronin+Scissors@Aug 1 2004, 09:45 AM
but it will be nothing more than a speed-bump.
I suspect the next iBook will also have a video card that fully supports Core Image, that&#39;ll be well worth waiting for. [/b][/quote]
Well, both ATI and Nvidia announced new mobile chips recently (Nvidia with a FX derived chip, and ATI with an X800 derived (I think) chip...even uses PCI-express.

Phillip
1st August 2004, 12:00 PM
the ibook won&#39;t be updated before the powerbook right now - the speed difference will get too close.

imo, they will have 1.2 Ghz for the 12" and 1.33 for the 14".

then of course the powerbook will have 1.5 Ghz and 1.8 ghz g4/g5

of course it will come once there are new powerbook and when that is is uncertain. if its a g5, then if will be jan 05 and if it isn&#39;t (imo) then it will be around october/november

Quasar
1st August 2004, 12:26 PM
Hmm...well thats helped make my mind up. I&#39;ll grab a 12" iBook now and just auction it off when/if something comes along with the next revision.

From my brief search of Ebay and the like it appears that Apple hardware doesnt seem to derpreciate as much as PC stuff...so I wont be pissing my money totally away.

Will be interesting...first time to use a mac since probably the early 90&#39;s.