PDA

View Full Version : How safe is the Login Screen?

shinji
29th October 2010, 05:29 PM
My site office got broken in to last nite and my 12' iBook G4 running 10.4.x and my Lacie external harddrive are now gone :crying::crying:

Just wonder how difficult it is to get past the Login Screen and access the files on my mac?

There are more personal files on the external HD, but given there is no "lock" on there anyone can just plug it in to any computer and read the files on it.

Thanks in advance.

Billy

Lutze
29th October 2010, 05:42 PM
If they have a Mac OS X install disk your computer is wide open.

It's as simple as inserting the disk and booting to the CD then changing the password.

Unless of course you've locked the password in the EFI

shinji
29th October 2010, 05:51 PM
If they have a Mac OS X install disk your computer is wide open.

It's as simple as inserting the disk and booting to the CD then changing the password.

Unless of course you've locked the password in the EFI

I suppose it is not hard for them to get hold of a Tiger install disk :(

How do one lock the password in the EFI?

dev_enter
29th October 2010, 06:50 PM
If someone has physical access to your device and your files are not encrypted. Consider your files to be 100% accessible.

shinji
29th October 2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys :)

I guess all files on my mac and ext. hd will be an open book....sigh....

All I can hope is that they format before they offload it to someone else.

jsarchibald
29th October 2010, 07:17 PM
If you know a few keys to hold upon startup, you can reset a username's password in under a minute. No security whatsoever. The best form of security is to run a laptop and lock it in a safe when not in use (overkill, but it works!).

BeePee
29th October 2010, 09:17 PM
I keep all my stuff in an encrypted dmg file, there is another good program called Truecrypt, used to use that but found dmg was easier.
Your misfortune caused me review my security.
I trust things work out for you.

BiRDBRAiN
30th October 2010, 09:24 AM
I've used a program called Espionage. Seems to do the trick.

You need to enter your password to unlock any files and folders protected with it.

mtny
30th October 2010, 12:24 PM
For most casual users, setting a firmware password is the quickest option. It requires no encryption of files and provides reasonably good security. There is always the possibility of the hard drive being removed and the data recovered, but in all probability your data isn't worth that much to anyone.

Apple has an artical on setting a password which can be found on the apple website, here. (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352)

shinji
30th October 2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks again MacTalkers! Thanks for the tips.....will put them into action with the mac at home and replacement mac (wishful thinking here) for all the personal files.

Just hoping now the site insurance would pay enough for me to get a new mac.