PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch PB purchase...

Eugene's Axe
1st August 2004, 12:44 AM
Hi all,
I'm pricing laptops on behalf of my wife, who is buying for her amatuer theatre company. They have been considering a Centrino based machine, but I'm strongly suggesting they consider a Powebook instead.
The basically have 3 main requirements....to run Office (or Mac equivalent) to run a mailing list/create flyers & newsletters/and to do 'on site' ticketing & bookings....to import photos from a digital camera (EG: for photos of cast members & crew for each production)......and lastly, to be able to import videos of plays to edit & compile onto DVD.
Their budget is a strict $3,000....which puts them into 12" PB territory. The tricky part is juggling the figures. 12" PB with Superdrive leaves almost no change from $3K....whereas minus the SDrive could (for eg) get them a version of Final Cut LE & Appleworks....or perhaps the Edu Office OSX. ...hmmmm....decisions, desicions....

The other thing I'd like to know is the expected performance of the 12" PB with the video stuff.....like how's the render time?.....is iMovie/iDVD enough? (or is Final Cut really needed?)....what's the video quality like??

Anyone (12" owners in particular) who can shed some light on my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys & Gals...........Dave.

PS....I'm a PC guy, running Logic Platinum in my recording studio. At this point I've had very little Mac experience....although that will be changing when I switch to Logic Pro on a G5 (whatever speed they're up to) sometime mid/late next year.

decryption
1st August 2004, 04:29 AM
I think the best way to test out the speed of the machine would be to take in some footage of your own down to an Apple dealer, and try it out on a demo PowerBook. If the speed is to your liking, buy up :)
If it isn't, you saved yourself a few grand.

Quamen
1st August 2004, 10:40 AM
I have a 12" powerbook, and as soon as I get myself an s-video cable I'll be importing some video via my pc's tv-tuner card and then editing it down. My PB is stock so I'll let you know how the editing experience is when I get around to doing it. May take a week or so though.
I'm thinking more ram will be needed though.

estoyloco
1st August 2004, 12:24 PM
iMovie and iDVD will be fine, you can also buy plugin-in packs that will give you enough features...so that you dont need to fork out $500 for FCExpress..alotof the time you can getfree plugins from certain sites that are jsut as useful.. either way tho..these plugin packs are liek 10$ US which is nothing and they can be extra THEMES for iDVD or extra effects,transitions , faders etc for iMovie...

go to iMovieFest.com for free sounds, demo effects etc.. they will also have some movies on there made using iMove to give you an idea.. the iAppz havealot ofpotential and are sooo easy to use...

If you in melbourne i can let you know where a good and cheap place to get office is....

kim jong il
1st August 2004, 12:54 PM
Hi, I can't really help as such but thought to send you a couple of links that may or may not be useful. I do know a person who has been using for years a high end 3 CCD type DV camera. I suspect your question about "how good is the video quality?" should be answered with: how good is your capture device? Answer this and you have your answer.

Links that may be worth reading:

Results of endering benchmark tests with final cut pro on 'earlier' G4's
http://www.barefeats.com/fcp01.html

imovie on an early G4 powerbook; a review
http://www.avvideo.com/2001/03_mar/feature...tpatterns_2.htm (http://www.avvideo.com/2001/03_mar/features/march2001/testpatterns/testpatterns_2.htm)

And from apple a demonstration of what 'pro' can do for you.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/quicktour/

A google search produces so many results, it's a matter of take your pick

Sorry this is not an 'answer' as such but maybe it will give you something to think about. In your situation I (as in me) would be reluctant to offer advice.

decisions, decisions........

Eugene's Axe
1st August 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Aug 1 2004, 10:40 AM
I have a 12" powerbook, and as soon as I get myself an s-video cable I'll be importing some video via my pc's tv-tuner card and then editing it down. My PB is stock so I'll let you know how the editing experience is when I get around to doing it. May take a week or so though.

Hey Quamen,
Yes I'd be really interested in your findings, lemme know here how you get on.

Also, how have you found the 12" PB in general?? Found anything that you don't like or find limiting?? (And do you have the Superdrive model?)

Regards...Dave.

Eugene's Axe
1st August 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Aug 1 2004, 12:24 PM
iMovie and iDVD will be fine, you can also buy plugin-in packs that will give you enough features...so that you dont need to fork out $500 for FCExpress..alotof the time you can getfree plugins from certain sites that are jsut as useful.. either way tho..these plugin packs are liek 10$ US which is nothing and they can be extra THEMES for iDVD or extra effects,transitions , faders etc for iMovie...

go to iMovieFest.com for free sounds, demo effects etc.. they will also have some movies on there made using iMove to give you an idea.. the iAppz havealot ofpotential and are sooo easy to use...

If you in melbourne i can let you know where a good and cheap place to get office is....
Thing is...the current promo has FCLE for $160 (save $339) when you buy a new PB....that's why I considering it.

Do you have any bmarks for free iMovie/iDVD plugs??

And yes....I'm in Melbourne......(cheap Office??.....)

Quamen
1st August 2004, 05:05 PM
I don't have the superdrive model, just the combo drive. So I can't really tell you anything about burning DVD's. Although burning a CD was easy enough.

I got my powerbook a month ago, it's been really good. Comming from a PC background it's taken a bit of getting used to, but so far nothing has been really difficult. I'm really enjoying using it, it's going to start getting a lot more use now that uni has started again. But for the things I've been doing so far it's been easy enough, and there's so much freeware and shareware out there for macs it's amazing.

I"m definately glad I went for the powerbook over the iBook and the wintel lappys I was looking at getting.

tempestas
1st August 2004, 09:17 PM
The thing about a laptop of any description for video work is hard drive speed.

I know two powerbook owners who swear by FCP and have seen some high quality stuff done with them, but both have an 3.5inch external hard drive that spins at a decent speed and connects over firewire.

In terms of photo's iPhoto would be a walk over compared to a pc laptop for ease of use.

It is probably worth looking into whether you are GST rebatable or whether your local Apple Reseller might want to assist in return for some community support. Ie mention in the newsletter etc.

The superdrive is needed to burn DVD's.

From experience iMovie works fine and only slows my iBook down when I do something silly like adjust brightness for 5 minutes of video at once. $3k is tight but with some smart talking and lateral thinking the 12 inch powerbook will be sweet for this kind of work.

Phillip
1st August 2004, 11:21 PM
apple works is included with the powerbook or it should be if not. imo, you should get office.

imovie and idvd should be fine, but if you want something more advance final cut express is the thing, and with a new mac its only $160 a saving of $340. u could get it now, and if u don't need it, you can sell it on ebay and prolly get more than $160

hope this help and enjoy the pb, i know i will