PDA

View Full Version : How to connect Performa to pbook G4?

Ozi
31st July 2004, 02:11 PM
I have the latest model pBook G4 and need to get 220 MB off an old Performa 5400/160

It would suck to have to do it all on floppies, and the Performa is missing "Open Transport". (v. 1.1.2)

I downloaded open transport, and used my pbook to burn it onto CD, but the Performa only recognises music CDs, not burnt ones. So I cannot make them talk via Appletalk, as open transport is missing.

How do i solve this?!

Thanks.

~ozi

LCGuy
31st July 2004, 02:36 PM
Do you have a system CD for your Performa? If you have one with System 7.5.3 or better, you can do a custom install adn install OT from that. Also, about the Performa not recognising burnt CDs, did you use a CD-R or a CD-RW? It won't work with a CD-RW, but CD-Rs work just fine.

Ozi
31st July 2004, 04:00 PM
yeah it was a CD-RW. :( I will try again with a CD R... we are working at it! My uncle is able to help too. ;)

tempestas
1st August 2004, 09:01 PM
Hopefully you have solved it by now. But assuming you have 8.6 or later on the performa, get the rest of Open transport loaded, reboot checking the ethernet icon comes up when loading the extensions, turn on file sharing, connect ethernet cable betwenn the two, the pbook doesn't need a cross-over, connect via network and move files away.

Sometimes I have an odd problem where I can only see my desktop 7600/132 (from G4 iBook) running 8.6 by using the classic control panel chooser - having made an alias though keeps it all in Panther though.

Its a bummer that the older CD drives won't read +R/W discs but still in a spindle a CD R is less than a stamp these days.