PDA

View Full Version : i pad buy on line from USA, ebook reader compared with others available.

mshaw
18th October 2010, 12:19 PM
Hi interested in how other people in Australia use the I pad apps for book reading and buying, books on line. I have not bought an ipad yet but I was going to wait for the second generation, but the dollar exchange is so good they are cheaper buying on line. from USA at the moment. Any advise.
cheers mshaw.

ednap
18th October 2010, 12:45 PM
IMHO, Buy it, you will NOT regret doing so.

I am an avid reader. Received an iPAD for my 50th birthday back in June. Now spend less time in book shops but more timer reading than ever before.

I have accounts with fictionwise.com and also use the Kindle reader app for my account with Amazon.

Had a collection of earlier ebooks (used to read them on a tiny screen PDA) and was able to use the Calibre program to convert them to suit the iBook reader.

True not every latest release is available as an ebook but depending on your personal interests many are.

SRG
18th October 2010, 01:20 PM
The iPad is a good e-book reader but for me I still prefer the Kindle (and in fact new Gen Kindle arrived today). I have Amazon on the iPad and sync between the 2 but the vast majority of my reading is on the Kindle. During the week I only take the iPad to work so do some minor reading on it then only really.

A key difference is reading outside when the iPad screen is a real issue. On the flip side of course the Kindle needs light so no good in the dark.

I personally also find I can read a lot longer on the Kindle than the backlit iPad screen.

The new Kindle screen is a major step forward and noticably better than the previous Kindle straight away.

So if you are after a e-reader I vote Kindle but for a all round device then the iPad.

Of course with the strong dollar and the Kindle now so much cheaper, why not shout yourself both :-)

yagankiely
18th October 2010, 04:36 PM
Apple will probably announce the new iPad late January ≈3 months away and release in ≈6. At this point you may want to wait. That said, while you may get buyers' remorse, you'll never be disappointed with the actual device.

MarkW
18th October 2010, 06:26 PM
IMHO, Buy it, you will NOT regret doing so.

I am an avid reader. Received an iPAD for my 50th birthday back in June. Now spend less time in book shops but more timer reading than ever before.

I read with interest your reply and like you I am an avid reader. Its nothing for me to sit and read for 2 to 3 hours in a single sitting providing the book is good. I read at over 400 words a minute but try to back it down below 100 otherwise I spend a fortune at book stores and BigW. I like tech thriller, sci-fi and all in between.

I am positively dying to be able to justify to myself the price of an iPad based solely on the reading experience but every time I look at what is available from the publishers and I am just so disapointed by what available. It seems that almost every title is available in the US but what we get is pretty much rubbish.

Please tell me you have found a way to get around our disgusting ebook publishers :)

TheKeddi
18th October 2010, 06:51 PM
I read with interest your reply and like you I am an avid reader. Its nothing for me to sit and read for 2 to 3 hours in a single sitting providing the book is good. I read at over 400 words a minute but try to back it down below 100 otherwise I spend a fortune at book stores and BigW. I like tech thriller, sci-fi and all in between.

I am positively dying to be able to justify to myself the price of an iPad based solely on the reading experience but every time I look at what is available from the publishers and I am just so disapointed by what available. It seems that almost every title is available in the US but what we get is pretty much rubbish.

Please tell me you have found a way to get around our disgusting ebook publishers :)

Make yourself an American iTunes account and get some credit online via iTunes cards either from ebay or reputable sellers.

Easy! Then you can shop the american iBooks store to your hearts content!!!

ednap
18th October 2010, 07:01 PM
You can buy a lot of books for the cost of an iPAD but I am on my way in savings. Using the Kindle app on the iPAD I first purchased all three of the Girl with the dragon tattoo series, much cheaper as ebooks rather than paperbacks. I read multiple titles as a break and am reading my way through the Dresdan files series by Jim Butcher (up to book 6), also onto book 3 in the "A Galaxy Unknown" series by Thomas Mawcett.

I am about to start a new job shortly so purchased The first 90 days by Michael Watkins as a reference read before swapping companies.

As I said in an earlier post I also had quite a collection of books from Fictionwise that I purchased when I was using a Compaq iPAQ PDA to read.

Hadn't read all of them ( and a couple I wanted to read again) so used Calibre to covert them to ePUB and have read 8 books using IBook reader. All titles by Roger Taylor then a further 5 books by Laura Resnick. Still have a few from Kate Saundby to read as well.

It really depends on your taste. Unfortunately there seems to be an influx of romance novels (yuk) available as ebooks but I can find Sci Fi, Sci Fantasy, Crime, Thriller and text books to buy and read. I'm happy overall.

I enjoy reading, yes I read very fast too (my wife hated me buying a book and finishing it in a day or two) but is happy (well probably less agro) with the online cheaper purchases:D

yagankiely
18th October 2010, 08:14 PM
What's an iPAD is it similar to a MAC?