PDA

View Full Version : student discount sent to non student.

sirstaunch
17th October 2010, 05:46 PM
What are Apples Policys on Student Discount buying say an iMac online for example, but having it sent to someone else at a different registered address from the students account details? Is that a 'No Can Do' or 'If the students paying for it, they can do what ever they like' sort of thing?

Asking as I may be getting an iMac bought for me as a loan I have to pay back as installments and she's a student. And it looks like it might be wait until next year by the look of October 20th :rolleyes:

LCGuy
17th October 2010, 06:14 PM
As long as the person who orders it is the student, there should be no problem. When I bought my MacBook I ordered it with Mum's credit card and had it shipped to Mum so she could sign for it (since I wasn't going to be home that day) and there was no problem.

JaimeSharp
17th October 2010, 06:53 PM
Generally the policy outlined is parent/guardian who can order for a student or the student though they don't check this anyway again address does not matter if the delivery address is different they are fine with that should be no issues there.

bacco007
17th October 2010, 07:45 PM
I had the discount applied and was not asked for any proof (over the phone too) - I think it may have been because the guy got confused and thought that my email address (nsw.gov.au) was for an educational establishment

bartron
17th October 2010, 07:55 PM
I had the discount applied and was not asked for any proof (over the phone too) - I think it may have been because the guy got confused and thought that my email address (nsw.gov.au) was for an educational establishment

Many Australian government departments are eligible for a discount as well. It's not an "education" discount but it comes to the same amount.

iCantwait
17th October 2010, 08:17 PM
You can just order from the EDU store regardless if you are or are not.

tom5955
17th October 2010, 08:20 PM
You can just order from the EDU store regardless if you are or are not.

I'm pretty sure you need a student number or something.

ThexMac
17th October 2010, 08:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you need a student number or something.

The interns in our office use Co-Op Book Shop discount card and the weren't asked for numbers... And two others bought online and did not need to supply it.

tom5955
17th October 2010, 08:28 PM
So basically anyone can buy through the education discount?

TheKeddi
17th October 2010, 09:31 PM
Yes because they don't ask for numbers or anything. I have purchased a few macs on the edu page. I am a student tho. But it does say that if they do do a check that you have to show your student proof.

sirstaunch
17th October 2010, 10:11 PM
Well all this sounds very promising then. See what happens then when she orders it and has it sent to me and see if any questions are asked, cool, it sounds good.

She bought the iPad for me and didn't think of the discount at the time, if there was one, so from being reliable she keeps saying about an iMac and mentioned using her student ID.

Cool thanks for the input and hope Lion comes out soon ;)

ThexMac
18th October 2010, 02:43 PM
No discounts, yet, for iPad.. but I hesitate to speculate there may be after 2011/12... when iPad becomes THEE schoolies reader/writer device.

decryption
18th October 2010, 03:48 PM
No discounts, yet, for iPad.. but I hesitate to speculate there may be after 2011/12... when iPad becomes THEE schoolies reader/writer device.

More like by that time, the EDU discount will cease to exist for end users and everyone pays the full price.

Besides, if a school needs to buy a bunch of iPads, they'd still get an educational price.

~Coxy
18th October 2010, 04:07 PM
You can very likely negotiate ~10% of RRP at any big box retailer which is going to be cheaper than the student discount anyway. Just do that, no faffing around with someone who might want proof of education status.

sirstaunch
18th October 2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah that's a point foxy, problem though she's in Brisbane and I'm in sunny Victoria, so postage is the hassle and expensive in the end.