PDA

View Full Version : BACI on Mac?

fuchingsiang
12th October 2005, 10:49 AM
GUys I need some help here. Uni's assignment requires to be done in BACI (http://www.mines.edu/fs_home/tcamp/baci/) but it does not have Mac version. The only hope is to build from source, in this case, comes in several Makefile. The bloody lecturer just replied "He has no time to help" to my question so I'm helpless now... any help will do... Thanks!

purana
12th October 2005, 10:54 AM
I'll give it a go.. compiling it that is and attempting to produce a nice pkg file to install it. Might research it a little at lunch time ;)

fuchingsiang
12th October 2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks bunch, any feedback will be great!

purana
12th October 2005, 12:41 PM
I need some dev stuff installed, so I cant ssh and do it now. So let me take a quick look tonight and see if its do-able or not. It will be the perfect time for me to update my wget package and source.

purana
12th October 2005, 07:34 PM
Looks like it compiles fine on Tiger, is your mac running Tiger? Not sure what sort of layout these compiled binaries should take.

Should I just put them all in the same place?

EDIT:

Is this all the stuff you need below to use for your baci usage? If so, let me know and I will make a OSX tiger pkg file that will install it all ready for use.

-rw-r--r-- 1 michaelf michaelf 711 Oct 12 19:44 README.GUI
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 107404 Oct 12 19:42 baar
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 200892 Oct 12 19:42 bacc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 63504 Oct 12 19:42 badis
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 149788 Oct 12 19:44 bagui
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 149788 Oct 12 19:44 bainterp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 159216 Oct 12 19:45 bald
-rwxr-xr-x 1 michaelf michaelf 188800 Oct 12 19:45 bapas
-rw-r--r-- 1 michaelf michaelf 40288 Oct 12 19:43 menu.tcl

purana
12th October 2005, 08:18 PM
Okay done..

You can grab a copy of the tiger package from the following post on my weblog..

Click Here (http://purana.bur.st/?cat=7)

This package will create a dir /usr/local/baci (which contains all the files listed above) and then it will make symlinks (pointers) to each of those files from /usr/bin

ie. /usr/bin/baar -> /usr/local/baci/baar

etc

Enjoy.

fuchingsiang
12th October 2005, 08:50 PM
Thank you very much!!!! You've saved my day... never thought I'd find my solution here than the academic staff... btw, mind telling how did you make all of them? and how do you make it in a binary form?

Thanks again!!

purana
11th October 2007, 08:51 AM
All you do is compile all the binaries, and then set out the directory layout with said binaries and any manual pages etc. Then create a pkg file to compile it together into a bundle of pkg goodness for install.

I might write a tutorial on it sometime in the next few months, its not that difficult to use the tool provided by Apple to develop ones own pkg file for install of ones program or programs.

I should now get around to making an updated wget, screen and lynx pkg install stuff. You can obtain all these program via fink, but personally sometimes I just want to use my fav applicaitons like those mentioned and dont want to install fink to get them.

Besides some applications are just a binary and some man pages, so why go through the effort to install fink just apt-get a few things.

Anyways, enjoy. Feel free to tell your friends to grab it too if they need it.

EDIT/UPDATE October, 2007:

Oddly enough I was pinged about this yesterday, please find the location has since been updated, please consult here (http://heimic.net/2005/10/12/baci-for-macos-x-tiger/) instead. And yes I will recompile a new revised version in universal binary in a the next few weeks or months (depending on how much free time I get to do it after moving houses).

Dani7887
6th April 2009, 12:56 AM
does it work on OSX Leopard also? i'm working on a university project and i need it. thanks for answer.

Help me please...