PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook - DVI issues - What Cable ?

nath
11th October 2005, 01:14 AM
Wrote about my problem in the philips review but it was suggested that it might be more appropriate to start a new thread, search did not reveal anything similar.

I have a 12" powerbook with the apple supplie mini dvi - dvi adaptor and a philips 19" LCD which takes a DVI-D (confirmed on their site) input.

I went and purchased a DVI-D cable today and there is an issue with the display showing flickering and red on the screen (unusable). The LCD is brand new and works correctly at high resolution with the analogue cable and appropiate apple supplied adaptor. The screen looks normal at a resolution of 832x6xx (cant remember exactly) but obvioulsy this is not satisfactory

I have been reading about the different DVI-D and DVI-I cables but cannot seem to see any confirmation regarding the output of the apple mini DVI - DVI adaptor.

Is anyone aware of my specific cable requirements ?

I expect ill have take the cable and dvi adaptor with the laptop to Next Byte and see if they can try it for me to confirm that part is working.

TIA.

mac_man_luke
11th October 2005, 01:35 AM
Sounds like a dodgy or poor quality DVI cable

nath
11th October 2005, 04:54 PM
Spot on... took the Powerbook, adaptor and cable to the shop. After convincing them it wasn't "Just because its a Mac" :) I had them connect the cable with one of their PC's and LCD's with the same picture result, I also tried with one of their cables and it worked as expected.

They didn't have a better quality cable so they were happy to refund my money and I got one from another store for ~$35.

Work's fine now with the better cable.

Points to note are the second cable is "Dual Link" and has the two ferrite emi thingy's.. not sure if they make a difference but the cable also "feels" better quality.

c3017474
11th October 2005, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear you got it sorted out ok.