PDA

View Full Version : Sophisticated replacement for PowerPoint

Warrys
10th October 2005, 11:43 PM
Hello All

Only been a member since September this year. Been a Mac user since early 80's and only just discovered this site.

I have asked 4 questions in my sort time here and I woiuld like to thank all for their advise and help.

Congratulation on a great site and very friendly members.

To my request:

I am a Teacher/Trainer and have been using PowerPoint for my lessons.

I am looking for a piece of software which would offer me more sophisticated presentations than PowerPoint can offer.

Looking for some suggestions.

Many Thanks

Mikey
10th October 2005, 11:54 PM
by "more sofisticated" do you mean with more punch?

Sorry...can't resist a pun. Have you looked at Keynote? I haven't, but you should be able to Google some reviews if ATAU folk can't shed any light: http://www.apple.com/au/iwork/keynote/

Disko
10th October 2005, 11:54 PM
Apple's Keynote. :)

It even imports and plays powerpoint presentations.

Febs
11th October 2005, 12:04 AM
Keynote is fantastic. I've given 15-20 presentations using it, and have always received at least one "oooh!" or "ahh!" from the audience. :D

I recently purchased this theme too (TecTile). $25 but very, very cool:
http://www.keynotethemepark.com/content/pages/set6.html

Cheers,
- Febs.

Kuma
11th October 2005, 07:04 AM
A teacher who cant spell sophisticated????

things that make you go hmmmm :P

W2ttsy
11th October 2005, 09:22 AM
just looking at the TecTile theme...

maybe they should call it TactlessTile...

am i the only one to notice this? http://img448.imageshack.us/img448/1821/picture18gy.png

2nd teacher that cant spell sophisticated, and the use of keynote...

W2ttsy

marc
11th October 2005, 09:29 AM
Keynote is the shizzle. It totally creams PowerPoint.

DO IT! :)

Warrys
11th October 2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks all

I'll try and have a look at Keynote

Next time I will proof read before I post

Thanks again

zac
11th October 2005, 10:26 AM
Keynote is one of the best applications ever written. I cringe when i see people using powerpoint on macs when they don't have to.

Switch to keynote and you'll never go back - its like discovering chocolate for the first time.

trickcycle
11th October 2005, 11:46 AM
I'd agree that Keynote is much more attractive but its outlining features are anaemic compared to powerpoint. Are there any alternatives eg Open Office that have powerful outlining capabilities. Or is there a way of importing say Word, Pages or Omnioutliner documents into Keynote preserving all the outline hierarchies? For those of us who need to do in depth academic presentations outlining features are essential. Keynote's weakness in this area has been thebarrier for me.

PyroVesten
12th October 2005, 05:22 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, Macromedia Flash can do very, very slick, sexy, professional presentations with very little know-how.

Mikey
12th October 2005, 05:38 PM
Trickcycle, what is "outlining"? I've never heard of it. :unsure:

Febs
12th October 2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by W2ttsy@Oct 11 2005, 09:22 AM
just looking at the TecTile theme...

maybe they should call it TactlessTile...
1) That's not TecTile.
2) WTF? Clutching at straws there a bit...

trickcycle
12th October 2005, 07:03 PM
Outlining is the ability to organise your text in headings, subheadings and so on, nesting them within each other. I find it essential to organise my thinking when writing a paper or doing a presentation. All good word processors and presentation tools have them. There is a really good outliner (Omnioutliner) bundled with current PowerBooks. The powerpoint outlining function is much better (better views, more keyboard shortcuts etc) than in Keynote. A shame the last revision of keynote didn't improve on this as i'd prefer to use Keynote if I could.