PDA

View Full Version : Networking Tiger with Windows Server 2003

gehenna
10th October 2005, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know of any useful resources online to guide/explain the process to get networking and file/printer sharing working between these two operating systems?

Any help appreciated.

Insanely
10th October 2005, 10:30 AM
http://www.afp548.com/filemgmt_data/files/AD-OD-2.0.pdf

I haven't read the above pdf yet. I hear good things though.

gehenna
10th October 2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks that's great!

Problem I have is Mac is being authenticated on the Network, however File/Print sharing doesn't seem to work. Anyone had this issue before?

Insanely
10th October 2005, 01:06 PM
Are you using smb or afp? For afp to work you will need to have it installed on your windows server and shared correctly.

In the connect menu try:

smb://Servers_IP/Share

iMick
10th October 2005, 02:52 PM
If the mac is on the AD, it should map the users home directoy automatically. Any other shares have to be done manually with an apple script etc.

You also have to run a command to enable roaming mac user profiles from their windows shares

Insanely
10th October 2005, 03:35 PM
That command is:

sudo dsconfigad -localhome disable

iMick
10th October 2005, 04:18 PM
-localhome disable works suprisingly well. Places the user profile in their windows home directory. Have to make sure that they don't build a large iTunes library etc.

gehenna
11th October 2005, 10:55 AM
thanks guys. seems the mac is authenticated fine on the AD as it has access too the folders/drives it should have, and no access to the ones it shouldnt. only issue seems to be when adding printers it just denies this completely. printers are setup to be shared to everyone. as this is the only mac client in the office its a bit of a weird one for all of us. oh and that pdf was very good however seems to be more geared toward integrating osx server with windows server....not just getting an osx client working with windows server.

anyway, will that command that imick mentioned have anything to do with what i've described?

iMick
11th October 2005, 11:04 AM
Not really. It is the command you need to use to enable roaming profiles on your macs from a windows AD server.

How are you trying to add the printers? Through a share or directly?

gehenna
11th October 2005, 11:04 AM
found a workaround to this tiger bug.

---

We have several Tiger 10.4.1 Macs in our SBS 2003 Windows 2000 Domain using Kyocera KM2030 and JetDirect attached HP LaserJet 6P.

Following the "SBSMacDoc" guidline helped a lot successfully joining the domain and accessing Exchange Server with Mail.

We too, have an "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" Error. I tried setting up Domain Printers manually (holding Alt before clicking on "Adding more printer") using the Authentication that works for SMB Shares:

smb://DOMAIN\User:Password@Servername/Printqueuename

iMick
11th October 2005, 11:21 AM
I have come across that issue as well. On SMB shares, I have been having a lot of issues with SMB after the 10.4.2 update (aparently apple tried to tweak but broke it in the process). I would recommend waiting for the 10.4.3 update if you can.

FYI Microsoft OFfice 2004 Service Pack 2 give a HUGE in exchange server support, giving the mac full outlook functionality finally.

gehenna
11th October 2005, 12:18 PM
seems like in 10.4 three files have been updated (apparent security issues in 10.3), they are rpcclient, smbspool and smbclient in the usr\bin directory. suggestions have been to archive these files from 10.3 and replace them on 10.4. from what im told this will resolve the issue, but leave the security issues in place (possibly resolved again in the security updates just released?)

gehenna
12th October 2005, 08:39 AM
well i replaced these files (backed up originals) and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. interestingly the printing seems to work when classic is loaded, but still tiger has issues.

although when i enter the smb:// string with the domain/server/user details etc i seem to be getting comms from powerbook to printer as it begins feeding paper, however there are only corrupted characters on the first line of the printout.

heeeeeelp

iMick
12th October 2005, 09:06 AM
Can't you print directly to the printers via IP?

gehenna
12th October 2005, 09:12 AM
scratch that. just noticed we hadn't selected the model printer and which driver to use. all good now.

duh.

iMick
12th October 2005, 09:14 AM
Good to see I am not he only one that does stuff like that :)

The Mac is never wrong lol

gehenna
13th October 2005, 06:28 AM
further to this, can't get tiger onto the exchange server, done a few searches on the forums but can't see anything about this. anyone know of any posts i may have missed or any resources online?

gehenna
13th October 2005, 06:33 AM
nevermind, narrowed my search and found heaps! im crap in the mornings!

gehenna
19th October 2005, 06:56 AM
Well its time for round 2.

Issue now is another printer was selected within the Classic Chooser. Since this time (user not sure what he pressed) printouts have been sent to another printer altogether, which is okay but annoying. need to send printouts to original printer but cannot find where to choose the original printer within classic (never actually used classic before).

Any ideas?

gehenna
19th October 2005, 07:04 AM
to elaborate a bit, it is a hp laserjet 6mp printer. it is setup correctly (and prints fine) from within tiger. it WAS previously working in classic. when you select the chooser, and then LaserWriter it does not show up in there anymore, there are other printers from around the room but not the laserjet 6mp. is there a way to add the printer into here or get classic to recognise its settings from tiger?

edit: also, the printer has a jetdirect card in it to enable ethernet printing as it was originally a parallel printer.