PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Macs

thu187
7th October 2010, 12:37 AM
Hi guys,
New to the forum!
So I was thinking of making the switch to the dark side :P I'm just wondering what could be had for around the $500 mark in terms of second hand macs. I was hoping to get a MacBook Pro as I believe (but not sure) that they generally come with more RAM is that correct?
I'm a student and it'll mostly be spreadsheets/word processing and a bit of photoshop here and there. I would also prefer one with a dedicated video card rather than onboard graphics.
Am I asking too much or is this possible?
If not what could I expect.

Cheers! :)

LCGuy
7th October 2010, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately for around the $500 mark you're probably only going to get a PowerBook G4, which has a PowerPC processor and therefore won't run Snow Leopard, nor will it run any of the new software being released that is Intel only. If you're happy to settle with a desktop you could probably get an early Intel Mac mini for around the $500 mark, but if you absolutely must have a portable you'll have to pay a bit more unless you're willing to stick with a PowerPC Mac and the limitations that comes with that (such as having to run older software which may or may not still be supported).

bartron
7th October 2010, 08:29 AM
You should be able to pick up an early MacBook for $500 easy but that will have integrated graphics.

Or you could settle for a 17" iMac or Mac mini but they will be desktop bound (although the 17" is surprisingly portable albeit with the requirement it needs a power point to work)

thu187
7th October 2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!
Ok so I'm basically looking at an older operating system and such with older software for that dollar mark.
Has anyone used Photoshop or such programs on both PC and Mac? From what I hear programs designed for Macs run better because they are designed specifically for Mac 'architecture'? Would this be the case with the older stuff?
Just nowadays I'm seeing stuff that's intel-based (core 2 duo/core i5/core i7) so are they similar to PCs now apart from build quality/Operating System?

stewiesno1
7th October 2010, 01:32 PM
It doesn't really matter whether you use Photoshop on a Mac or a PC if the specs are the same. You won't see much of a difference performance wise these days for similarly specced systems that are basically the same. Most components in Macs are almost identical to those in off the shelf PCs - Ram , HD's, CPU's , optical drives etc with the main differences being more of a selection in videocards for Windows machines and differences in motherboard/logicboard design as you would expect.

Stewie