PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a 21.5" cinema display?

dawsman
6th October 2010, 05:44 PM
I currently have a dual-screen setup using a Samsung 21.5" widescreen LCD with my 21.5" iMac - works flawlessly. However it would be nice to have a matching size/height cinema display.

Any chance of Apple releasing a 21.5" version? How many 21.5" iMac owners would consider buying one if they were available?

bartron
6th October 2010, 05:46 PM
The fact that Apple can't seem to release a display to match their iMac range ( by that I mean a display that height matches the screen in an iMac) I highly doubt it.

Stranger things have happened though.

opilot87
6th October 2010, 09:55 PM
If they did, i'm pretty sure they would have released it with the 27". Which is a shame, because I would have bought a 21.5". 27" is a bit too big and too expensive for me.

Ollie

cosmichobo
6th October 2010, 10:05 PM
I don't think Apple sees the iMac as the primary market for their displays - ie they see them as belonging to the MacPros... So, making a display to suit an iMac could potentially alienate the MacPro users...

dawsman
19th November 2010, 01:14 AM
I bit the bullet and bought a refurb 24" cinema display to go with my 21.5" iMac. Currently $999 + GST on the Apple refurb store. I got a good one - in the original box, still covered with plastic, no dead pixels etc. It's a fantastic display and goes well with the iMac in my opinion (see pics)

http://files.me.com/dawsond/o6z1uq

http://files.me.com/dawsond/v45jkr

dekco
19th November 2010, 01:37 AM
i find 21.5" way to small. 27" is just nice as a primary display, and 24" is excellent on a side by side setup.

dawsman
19th November 2010, 04:37 PM
After using the 21.5" as a primary display for a while, I agree that it's a bit small. I find the 24" screen more than adequate as the primary (and even a single display), and am really liking the dual 24" / 21.5" arrangement. I prefer 2 independent displays and 2 x 27" would have been way too much for my needs (and my desk!!)

dekco
19th November 2010, 05:14 PM
is it just me or is 16:9 for imac a real silly idea. doesnt work well in an office environment :( a tad too short.

mjankor
19th November 2010, 05:23 PM
On a 27" iMac I'd say 9:16 is spot on.

I don't think it's that silly an idea, considering the main purpose of the iMac.

dawsman
29th November 2010, 01:15 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a refurb 24" cinema display to go with my 21.5" iMac. Currently $999 + GST on the Apple refurb store. I got a good one - in the original box, still covered with plastic, no dead pixels etc. It's a fantastic display and goes well with the iMac in my opinion (see pics)

Spoke too soon. My refurb 24" ACD died on me overnight. The display is recognised by both my iMac and Macbook Pro, but the backlight and speakers no longer work and I can't see any sign of an image on the screen. I've got a genius bar appt at the Perth Apple store tomorrow arvo. Not looking forward to carting the thing down Hay Street from work (weighs a ton!)

dekco
29th November 2010, 05:14 PM
Not to mention the lack of parking. Unless you have the OzPost magnetic stickers :D

dawsman
30th November 2010, 05:19 PM
Spoke too soon. My refurb 24" ACD died on me overnight. The display is recognised by both my iMac and Macbook Pro, but the backlight and speakers no longer work and I can't see any sign of an image on the screen. I've got a genius bar appt at the Perth Apple store tomorrow arvo. Not looking forward to carting the thing down Hay Street from work (weighs a ton!)

My worst nightmare... I almost killed myself carrying the display to the Apple Store. The Genius plugged it in, and the damned thing worked! He said that leaving it unplugged for more than 15 minutes would have reset the SMC controller of the logic board in the monitor itself, which probably fixed the problem. I wish Apple technical support would have suggested this over the phone when I called them BEFORE carting the monitor to the Apple store!

Let's see what happens when I get home tonight...

dawsman
18th December 2010, 12:05 PM
A further update on this if anyone is interested. My 24" ACD worked for another 3 days and then the problem re-occurred. I lugged it back to the Apple store again and this time it didn't work there either (thank god). They replaced the logic board which only took 3 days. I now have my display back and working, fingers crossed.

It was a warranty repair, but here is the cost of the parts and labour for those interested:

Logic board: $161
Hardware repair - level 2: $39

derf
18th December 2010, 12:24 PM
Just out of interest you might like to read my current saga with a 27" ACD on this thread here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/28/95639-27-apple-cinema-display-will-not-wake-sleep-post1063156.html#post1061183).

dawsman
27th December 2010, 04:31 PM
A further update on this if anyone is interested. My 24" ACD worked for another 3 days and then the problem re-occurred. I lugged it back to the Apple store again and this time it didn't work there either (thank god). They replaced the logic board which only took 3 days. I now have my display back and working, fingers crossed.

It was a warranty repair, but here is the cost of the parts and labour for those interested:

Logic board: $161
Hardware repair - level 2: $39

Dead again a week later!! Exactly the same problem. Looks like I'll be heading back down to the Apple store again. Not happy.

dawsman
27th December 2010, 04:33 PM
Just out of interest you might like to read my current saga with a 27" ACD on this thread here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/28/95639-27-apple-cinema-display-will-not-wake-sleep-post1063156.html#post1061183).

Looks like my experience is turning out to be similar to yours!