PDA

View Full Version : Better music with Monster cables?

sillydog701
30th July 2004, 06:56 PM
Would the music have better quality?

Anyone testers or reviews?

Presenting my Monster (whatever) Cable
It's called "AirPort Express - Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables"

http://ant.sillydog.org/blog/pic/expressstereokit01.jpg

(Again more pictures here (http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6524).)
Contents of the Stereo Connection Kit: one power cord,
one mini stereo to dual RCA Monster cable, and
one mini optical digital to digital Toslink Monster cable

I am putting all those cables back to the box. Too lazy to connect them up myself.

Quamen
30th July 2004, 08:08 PM
In my opinion Monster cables are a rip off. They are insanely expensive for what they are.

Currawong
30th July 2004, 09:29 PM
I'm going to get an Airport Express, so i'm wondering if there's an alternate to the Monster cable that has the optical option? I know Monster are shit - if I had an option, I'd use Van Den Hul, but they make no such thing (only regular toslink optical cables).

Anyone know of alternatives?

Husq
30th July 2004, 11:01 PM
I'm still trying to work out the details of Airtunes. Are they compatible with most types of speakers (without the monster cables)? How does the sound quality rate?
Sorry, I haven't seen this information yet.

sillydog701
31st July 2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 30 2004, 09:29 PM
I'm going to get an Airport Express, so i'm wondering if there's an alternate to the Monster cable that has the optical option? I know Monster are shit - if I had an option, I'd use Van Den Hul, but they make no such thing (only regular toslink optical cables).

As long as you can get a cable like the top cable in the picture below, you will be fine. As for alternatives, I have no idea.

http://ant.sillydog.org/blog/pic/expressstereokit07.jpg

sillydog701
31st July 2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Husq@Jul 30 2004, 11:01 PM
I'm still trying to work out the details of Airtunes. Are they compatible with most types of speakers (without the monster cables)? How does the sound quality rate?
Sorry, I haven't seen this information yet.
Yes, as long as your sound system has line in ports, and you have cable to connect out from standard 3.5mm stereo.

I am still using the cheap 3.5mm to RCA that connect to my mini Hi Fi.

I should have use the optical cable to connect it to my Yamaha 5.1 set, but too lazy to set that up.

sillydog701
2nd August 2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jul 30 2004, 09:29 PM
Curra,
Try a regular Toslink and a Toslink to 1/8" Optical Plug Adapter (e.g. Radioshack, model #15-1584)

kim jong il
3rd August 2004, 02:47 PM
What do you mean by 'monster cable' and 'optical digital to digital'? I'm interested.

(RE: monster cable) Is it something like those speaker cables with a 10 mm diameter? If it is then my answer would be (for most people) it's like going out and painting your car red so it will go faster.

kim

tempestas
3rd August 2004, 03:20 PM
The best place for information on cables would be any of the HI-FI magazines - or Audiophile magazines if you like, or a reputable dealer in such things.

If the shop only sells audio components and not washing machines then its probably one of the better ones.

The issue with sound is the amount of resistance in the cable, Monster, Van der Hul etc have an expensive manufacturing process that aims to exclude as much oxygen as possible from the copper cable so decreasing oxidisation and stopping the resistance increasing.

Now I know audiophiles who spend like $500-600 on speaker wires and another $100 odd a piece for interconnects (CD to Amp, tape to amp etc). Optical where the amp has an optical input is digital and therefore cleaner.

All that said the best test is, if you can't hear the difference between one cable and the next buy the cheapest, or best warranty or whatever is the important thing to you. If you only listen to roughly produced pop albums then cables will make very little difference. The real Audiophiles who spend the $ on cables often listen to full orchestra recordings and want their silents to be silent. I suspect that may not be a criteria for something that has been compressed and broadcast over AirPort Extreme.

Better quality cables usually are well made, thicker and often have gold plated connectors, not that having those things is proof of anything. Any specialty audio or musical instrument shop should be able to provide you with all the alternatives you could imagine.

sillydog701
3rd August 2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Aug 3 2004, 02:47 PM
What do you mean by 'monster cable' and 'optical digital to digital'? I'm interested.
Monster Cables is a brand name for audio/hifi cables.
Monster Cables is usually rated as the highest rank in home entertainment, but not in hi-fi field I believe. It is usually considered as over priced.

"optical digital to digital toslink"
Well, optical digital refers to optical input with similar connectors as the (regular) 3.5mm one.
And the Toslink means optical link with the standard (in optical) square shape.

Both are digital signal.

kim jong il
3rd August 2004, 05:07 PM
thanks antony