PDA

View Full Version : CD + iTunes or SuperDrive = new ripper?

snark
8th October 2005, 07:53 PM
I'm not really sure where this post belongs, but I'm hoping someone can help.

Very occasionally when adding a CD to my library in iTunes, I find that it hangs, and I'll see that iTunes is using 100% of my CPU, and that the drive is stopping, spinning up, then stopping, then spinning up...ad infinitum. I usually end up powering off the Mac to get control of it back. This happens on about one in 40 of my CDs, but as I have many hundreds of CDs, it has happened often enough to piss me off.

I have figured out that it is probably due to some scratches or surface dirt on the CDs, but strangely, I can usually rip the very same CD in a Windows PC running MusicMatch JukeBox, without any problems.

My question is: why does my superdrive equipped Mac Mini chuck such a bad wobbly? Why doesn't it just spit the CD out? Is it the drive (Matshita DVD-R UJ-835F)? Is it iTunes?
Should I be looking at an alternative ripper? If so, what alternatives are there?

Any suggestions welcome.

marc
8th October 2005, 08:37 PM
Maybe try creating a disk image, then mount and rip in iTunes from there.

If the problem persists then check to see if the CDs use copy protection.

snark
8th October 2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by marc@Oct 8 2005, 08:37 PM
Maybe try creating a disk image, then mount and rip in iTunes from there.

If the problem persists then check to see if the CDs use copy protection.
Definitely not copy protection.

How do I create a disk image?

marc
8th October 2005, 11:34 PM
With Disk Utility or Roxio Toast. There's probably other ways to do it.

Toast is definitely the easiest ways.

warren21
9th October 2005, 02:12 AM
Same thing happens on my imac G5 as well. I asked this same question when I was just new to macs and I was told it happens from time to time.

marc
9th October 2005, 10:39 AM
Make sure the CDs don't have some kind of copy protection on them. They're quite common these days.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00008NV5K.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The logo top left is what you're looking for. It's one of the schemes, and one of the ones that I've noticed causes the most issues.

I haven't found any pattern to the CDs that work and don't work, except that if you keep trying different drives, one will work eventually. That's assuming this has something to do with it.