PDA

View Full Version : iMovie

loopyb
8th October 2005, 04:16 PM
Hi there,
Can anyone tell me how I can burn film to DVD as raw data, not in movie format?
I want to burn my film to disk in data format to edit at a later date and keep as a master.
How do I do this?
Can I do this through iMovie?
Can I burn over a few DVD's if my data happens to be very large?

i hope someone can help.

regards,

Loopy

Mikey
8th October 2005, 05:30 PM
iMovie help says: "iMovie HD also allows you to export your movie in the most commonly used video formats for playing or editing on other video devices. So if you have a video project that has a special need, you can check the list of export formats you can use. Choose File > Share command , click QuickTime, and choose Expert Settings from the "Compress movie for" pop-up menu, and click Share. Open the Export pop-up menu to see a list of export formats you might select." So you can create an iMovie project, save it in whatever format you like, and burn that to DVD.

Alternatively, can you insert a blank DVD and drag the file from the camera (in Finder) directly onto the blank DVD icon on hte desktop- ie burn it via the Finder directly? I am pretty sure I can do this with my stills camera. It should then import the video and then burn it, without iMovie. Worth a try?

loopyb
8th October 2005, 06:56 PM
Hey Mikey,
Thankyou so much. I have another question if you wouldn't mind.
Would you know what the best format to save it in would be, bearing in mind I would want to import it back to iMovie or another editing software.
Do I go with the default on the expert settings? Which saves it as 'movie to quicktime movie' 'compression type H.264'
Is that the best way to save it to work on it at a later date with apple software or other?

Regards,
loopy

Graham
8th October 2005, 10:22 PM
The best format to save it in is the format it was originally in. That prevents all sorts of encoding issues. If you pull it in directly from a camera to iMovie then exporting it as DV (digital video) will be best as that is the original format. Note, however, that DV takes up 1 gig for five minutes so that's about 23 minutes for a single DVD. The best option is to get an external Firewire drive and keep the original data on there.

fuchingsiang
8th October 2005, 11:09 PM
Since this is an iMovie question, may I ask a small question:

I once exported a short birthday clip to a CD, to burn it as VCD. When I play it back from the CD, the sound comes slower than the picture, why is that so?

spy
8th October 2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by fuchingsiang@Oct 8 2005, 11:09 PM
Since this is an iMovie question, may I ask a small question:

I once exported a short birthday clip to a CD, to burn it as VCD. When I play it back from the CD, the sound comes slower than the picture, why is that so?
Check this (http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/audio/1001.shtml) out for more info on audio/video syncing. It helped me.