PDA

View Full Version : Widgets slow and stuttery to appear

gilligan911
8th October 2005, 10:29 AM
Whenever I call up my widgets they are very slow and stutter as they appear. The graphics for all the other desktop functions work just fine - smooth and fast. Anyone know why this would be happening?

I am running OSX 10.4.2 on an iMac G5 2.0 mHz and 1 GB ram. The widgets I have are:

WorldTV
DDU
AccuWeather
Simpsons Bot
All Recipes
Sensis
BBC News
Calculator
Clock

Cheers.

spy
8th October 2005, 10:39 AM
i think the lag is common. Leopard OSX will fix that i heard.

mjankor
8th October 2005, 11:26 AM
Do you reboot or login/logout often? They are slow to come up on first use but after that they are fast and smooth on my machine. (PB 12" 1.33)

dil_baby
8th October 2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mjankor@Oct 8 2005, 11:26 AM
Do you reboot or login/logout often? They are slow to come up on first use but after that they are fast and smooth on my machine. (PB 12" 1.33)
If it is the case that they are only slow when you first login, try this. (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19557)

gilligan911
8th October 2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by mjankor@Oct 8 2005, 11:26 AM
Nope. Computer is on pretty much all the time and I stay logged in - just put it to sleep when I am going to be away for a while. The widgets are still slow to appear and stuttery when they do no matter when I call them up.

I might try Dashboard Starter and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

feeze
8th October 2005, 04:47 PM
What speed internet connection do you have?

A few of those widgets would connect to the net and download the latest info every time you invoke dashboard. That might explain the 'stuttering.'

gilligan911
8th October 2005, 06:43 PM
Optus cable broadband - so it should be up around 1.5 Mbps. Motorola modem is new as well so I don't think that would be slowing things down.

It's not really a big deal but it has only just started happening recently so I figured there must be some explanation. I'll try removing a few widgets and see if that fixes up the slow loading.

gilligan911
8th October 2005, 07:15 PM
Problem solved. I trashed the BBC news widget and now everything is working fine. Even though it was set to only update every hour it must have somehow be slowing things down when I called up the widgets.

Thanks for your help! :D