PDA

View Full Version : Privileges Gone Screwy

cosmichobo
24th September 2010, 12:49 AM
G'day,

I've been trying to update some software on my G5 Powermac, running 10.5. It's not connected to the Net, so I've been using a USB stick, or running an ethernet cable between it and my fiancée's MacbookPro to do proper System updates (to 10.5.8).

This is the Powermac I picked up from Cashies... Rather than wipe the hdd, I performed a clean instal, but am wondering now if that was a bad move, as there's odd things going on!

When I went to instal some more software, but it told me I didn't have enough privileges... Odd... I thought. Suddenly several folders, and even the extra 1 TB internal drive, became locked to me - cannot open due to privileges.

And, now I can't even drag and drop ANYTHING!

Wtf???

(Mouse can drag windows around, so don't think it's that)

Will Disk Utility fix this? Some other app?

Cheers

cosmic

harryb2448
24th September 2010, 07:56 AM
Problem may well be the MBP will download different software updates to what is required by a G5. Have you tried downloading the OS X.5.8 Combo Updater from Apple's web site via the MBP, placing on the memory stick, and transfering to the desktop of the G5 and installing? Here is the link to this and it comes in at around 760MB:-

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update (http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update)

You may even have to get a Leopard disc, not the one that came with the MBP, and do a format, partition the hard drive under option with Apple Partition Map even if only one single partition and do a clean install.

Intel machine use GUID system and PPC, which the G5 is, use the APM.

stewiesno1
24th September 2010, 09:09 AM
Harrys way of downloading the combo updates is one that I've always preferred too. Store them and update any Mac with them rather than the more specific system updaters. And I'd wipe the hard drive then do a fresh install first. There could be all sorts of old crap floating around on the existing HD that could be causing you grief.

Stewie

cosmichobo
24th September 2010, 04:54 PM
To clarify - I was just sharing the MBP's internet connection - the Software Update was performed via the PowerMac's own Software Update menu - not the MBP...

Think I'll try make a new Admin user first... if that doesn't work, I'll wipe.

cosmichobo
25th September 2010, 11:01 AM
Did some googling... Had to use terminal to reset the privileges.