PDA

View Full Version : Sync 2 Macs

ColinChaps
22nd September 2010, 11:45 AM
I have an iMac and a Macbook. And I use the both all the time (well not at the same time) and I am finding it a little frustrating when I may wish to access something the iMac that I may recently have accessed on the Macbook, when I realise what I wanted was on the other Machine.

Is there some way to sync the two Macs together. So the same is on one as is on the other and then any changes made to one then updates the other one.

I have Mobile me, and I use that for photo storage and have my bookmarks etc backed up over both Machines... will Mobile do what I am wanting to? or do I need to purchase something specific?.... or is this a pipe dream?

Minkey
22nd September 2010, 11:49 AM
Dropbox will change your life:

Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy. (http://www.dropbox.com)

M

gehenna
22nd September 2010, 11:52 AM
Enable your iDisk in MobileMe, and set up some folders on the iDisk. Make aliases to those folders and put them on your local disk and then do the same on the other Mac. Then just use those alias folders to store your stuff and either manually or automatically sync.

johnq
22nd September 2010, 12:29 PM
iDisk "works" but it is frustratingly slow! I also strongly recommend dropbox.

gehenna
22nd September 2010, 12:38 PM
OP already has MobileMe, seems a waste not to use it. iDisk can be slow but so can Dropbox depending on your upstream bandwidth. I'd recommend going with what you've got before looking into other options. If iDisk doesn't work, then sure check out Dropbox...I agree it's great....but I'm still using my iDisk...I only use Dropbox for app content syncing.

esm
22nd September 2010, 01:10 PM
i am interested in this too... actually i am using dropbox and it just works... but I am interested in a non-"cloud" based sync option. :)

gehenna
22nd September 2010, 01:11 PM
i am interested in this too... actually i am using dropbox and it just works... but I am interested in a non-"cloud" based sync option. :)

you want to be able to sync across your internal network? look into rsync solutions...there might be some scripts you can find to use.

rpjallan
22nd September 2010, 01:51 PM

I have tried using iDisk many times and it's slowness and unreliability really annoys me. It is ok for storing stuff you don't need to access a lot but getting stuff on and off there is a real pain. In my opinion it is the real weak point of MobileMe.

I started using Dropbox earlier this year, just before going overseas, after recommendations on here and I'm really happy with it.

If you are after a non-"cloud" based option then try this:
Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - File Synchronization (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/filesynchronization.html)
It was based on the old sync utility in OS 9. I have been using it for a long time and it works really well...

pyrite
22nd September 2010, 02:24 PM
iDisk is good for 20GB and easy fixed if problems arise:

Setting Up MobileMe iDisk, Plus Fixing ‘iDisk Not In Sync’ | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/04/26/setting-up-mobileme-idisk-plus-fixing-idisk-not-in-sync/)

Might be better for what OP is talking about.

Dropbox is brilliant but I use it for database syncs and small docs only, the free 2GB is not enough.

pyrite
22nd September 2010, 02:29 PM

I use ChronoSync for all my local syncs. Awesome.

Gio
22nd September 2010, 05:39 PM
if you are on the same site, alot, you could use a mobile account which I believe requires OS X server. You then use the account an any machine and there are heaps of sync settings.