PDA

View Full Version : backing up network settings?

jobe
29th July 2004, 10:00 PM
Hi. I have cluttered up my ibook with files and programs everywhere. Anyway, I am planning on simply re-formatting and re-installing OSX (gotta love not having to install drivers). But before I do, I would very much like to save my network locations so I don't have to enter them all in again after a re-install.

Is this possible? is there any way I can backup network settings and restore them after a format and re-install.

Thanks

Squozen
29th July 2004, 10:49 PM
Try HD -> Library -> Preferences -> SystemConfiguration, mine contains Airport and network pref files.

pipsqeek
29th July 2004, 10:50 PM
Although I am unsure of an actual method of "backing up" Network locations.

You can always put pen to paper, then re-enter then after the fresh installation.

Steve

Quamen
30th July 2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 29 2004, 10:50 PM
You can always put pen to paper, then re-enter then after the fresh installation.

Steve
/me slaps Steve!

That' exactly what he wants to avoid doing.

I'm not sure how it's done, but there should be a file somewhere with all the settings in it that you can back up. Have you tried google?

elvis
30th July 2004, 08:15 AM
There's a reason DHCP was invented. :)

kim jong il
30th July 2004, 08:18 AM
Changing network location modifies multiple files which in turn modify more files. As a result I am not convinced of the wisdom of restoring certain preferences. However.......

~/library/preferences
AND
~/users/your user name here/library/preferences

You will need both and this SHOULD do it. This is not a guarantee however; if you have some exotic settings it might be best to jot down anything you think you are unlikely to remember (I know this is what you want to avoid)

I have my locations set to automatic on all machines (with 10.3.3/4) This is totally reliable (so I have not tested the above). With 10.3.0-2 it (automatic) was decidedly flaky.

cheers, kim

MightyAtom
30th July 2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Jul 29 2004, 10:49 PM
Try HD -> Library -> Preferences -> SystemConfiguration, mine contains Airport and network pref files.
Yup I do that every time, works a treat.

The only problem I've had is needing to re-setup my mobile for GPRS internet, but my settings are still retained.