PDA

View Full Version : Streaming media from your iMac to HDTV

cheekyage
13th September 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to stream media from a iMac to your HDTV?

I have some home videos, photos and music I would like to display on my new HDTV.

Is this where the Apple TV comes into play?

I also have a PS3 which I have been told can also stream the media.

I am all new to this and would love to get it right :)

Cheers

Japester
13th September 2010, 01:12 PM
New Apple TV sounds perfect if you've got your content in iTunes and iPhoto.

jcw
13th September 2010, 06:15 PM
I'm interested in this one, too. What if you don't have it all in iTunes, though?

I use a PS3 with EyeConnect to access all kinds of stuff on my iMac for play on my TV and it works a treat. But a mate of mine asked recently about the cheapest (PS3+EyeConnect=/=cheap) way to achieve the same starting with the iMac and TV at opposite ends of the house.

So... cheapest way to get non-iTunes media + iTunes stuff (non-DRM-ed I guess) to a living room, preferably over wifi?

idiesel
13th September 2010, 09:47 PM
ATV runout ($199) + ATVFlash?

torana355
13th September 2010, 09:51 PM
I use Twonky Media Server as it works with both PS3 and Xbox 360. It is not restricted to Itunes and works very well!!!

NinjaCatfish
15th September 2010, 02:14 AM
I use PS3 Media Server (a free alternative to Twonky/EyeConnect etc) the interface isn't as pretty, but it does the job.
Make sure you select the right network device (Ethernet/Wifi etc) and have it monitor the folders your media is in and it'll serve them right up to the PS3. It'll also transcode any media that the PS3 can't play natively.

PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/)

Once you get this set up on your Mac, you should see a PS3 Media Server option under the video/music/photos section of the PS3 menu. Select this and you'll see all the folders being monitored, and be able to access video, music and photos under their relevant sections.

dezinerau
17th September 2010, 07:01 PM
I use Twonky Media Server as it works with both PS3 and Xbox 360. It is not restricted to Itunes and works very well!!!

I think the point is that there isn't a PS3 to stream to, otherwise s/he'd already know how to do it.

Anyway, the best bet, if you don't want to invest time in converting media to an iTunes-friendly format, is to go with the older-style AppleTV (if you can find one -- they're flying out the door quickly before the new one arrives) and ATVFlash it (in effect: jailbreak it).

There are other set top media players out there, like the WDTV HD Live, but you're looking at about the same prices as the previous model ATV, and their codec support might be ... flaky.

landog
17th September 2010, 07:13 PM
tivo is brilliant if you have one + pytivox

idiesel
17th September 2010, 11:41 PM
I think the point is that there isn't a PS3 to stream to, otherwise s/he'd already know how to do it.Re-read the OP.

I also have a PS3 which I have been told can also stream the media.

supafly
18th September 2010, 02:46 PM
Im using Nullriver Medialink to stream to my PS3 at current. Works perfectly. Once the Boxee Box comes out in November (international) I will buy one of these and use it full time. The UI is gorgeous!

dezinerau
18th September 2010, 06:12 PM
Re-read the OP.

I stand corrected. I was actually put into the thread at post #3, so I guess my response is to that post in particular.

wolfie
18th September 2010, 06:23 PM
side note, whats the best resoltion format to rip tv shows into itunes to stream to your tc using a apple tv?

one that will fit the ratio of a tv nicely minimising black bars, if it nees to be there.
thanks.

cosmichobo
18th September 2010, 06:27 PM
If you don't mind asking etc, you should be able to pick up the old Apple TV for $129 at DSE, or elsewhere if you ask them to price match. It's how I got mine.

Then, to get around the "Only iTunes" crap, you can hack it with aTV Flash, or other similar products.

wolfie, my understanding is that the Apple TV can't handle full HD unless you instal a video card in its wifi slot... or something like that. 720p thus is as good as it gets. (No prob here; only have a 1368x768 tv)