PDA

View Full Version : Mac compatible PC Card/PCMCIA Wireless cards

c3017474
4th October 2005, 06:16 PM
I was looking for a Mac compatible PC Card Wireless adapter for my old PB G4 400 MHz. The original airport cards are too dear and they aren't as fast as the 802.11G stuff so I was hoping someone out ther might have one that they use that they could recommend. I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find anything that recent or useful and although I am aware of a few of the cards that use Ralink chipsets (Belkin, I think Linksys) I thought someone might have one in particular that they found to be good.

Thanks in anticipation, Nick

JimWOz
4th October 2005, 08:58 PM
My knowledge is out of date but;
I ran an Avaya 802.11b card in my old faithful PBG3 a couple of years ago.
The issue was finding OSX drivers for it.
I used the sourceforge wireless driver with it up to Jaguar, but couldn't get encryption to work so eventually changed to the IOeXperts shareware driver that supported 128 bit encryption. Sadly I think it doesn't support 802.11g though.

I think the Aerocard driver is the same beast as the IOeXperts offering.
These are the only OSX wireless PC card driver sources I could find.

c3017474
4th October 2005, 09:51 PM
I found a couple of reports on xlr8yourmac.com by people that had successfully used Motorola WN825G cards because they were based on the Broadcom chipset (the same as AirPort) and were just recognised as an AirPort card. I got one on eBay for a shade over $30 so its worth a shot and if its no good its no geat loss - should be able to flog it off and recoup most of the cost. I just wish the manufacturers were more open about which chipsets they used, its really hard to find most of this stuff and a lot of them seem to change chip suppliers every now and then which makes most of the info redundant.

Thanks Nick

Senna
4th October 2005, 10:15 PM
Sonnet Aria Extreme works with Apple's Airport drivers (Nice!).

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/aria_extreme.html

Expensive though. I think RRP is $139.95

From what i understand, anything that uses the Broadcom chipset will work without any extra software. Finding one is your biggest problem as all the manufacturers seem to have changed chip suppliers.

Early Belkin cards worked but good luck finding one. The new ones are only about $60 so you shouldnt have to pay too much for an old one but as I said, getting one will be tricky. The part numbers stayed the same but the 'insides' changed. Annoying!

jobe
4th October 2005, 10:28 PM
I would imagin that a lot of broadcom based cards, would work as would a lot of ralink cards with the ralink OSX drivers, which incidentally have been updated to support tiger recently.

Have a skim through this thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3482). It's for PCI cards, but the same theory applies. Most manufacturers make a PCI and PCMCIA version of their wireless gear so the first place I would look is the PCMCIA equiv of those cards.

pipsqeek
4th October 2005, 11:37 PM
I know for a fact that all new Cnet wifi cards have RaLink chipsets in them, PCI and PCMCIA cards. And RaLink have drivers for OS X 10.3 and 10.4

Both of which I've confirmed using a PCI wifi card of theirs with the drivers.

Cheers
pipsqeek :thumbup:

chocho
5th October 2005, 07:46 AM
what about wifi cards that would work on the more current PM MDD 1.2ghz?

cheers

jobe
5th October 2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by chocho+Oct 5 2005, 07:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chocho &#064; Oct 5 2005, 07:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>what about wifi cards that would work on the more current PM MDD 1.2ghz?

cheers[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-Jobe
Have a skim through this thread (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=3482). It&#39;s for PCI cards, but the same theory applies. Most manufacturers make a PCI and PCMCIA version of their wireless gear so the first place I would look is the PCMCIA equiv of those cards.[/quote]

This being the notebook forum and all...

vid
6th November 2005, 09:33 PM
I have a PCMCIA adapter I use to insert my Compact Flash card into my Power Book, but it always opens Photoshop when I insert, is there a way of stopping this?

Thanks, Vid

thanners
7th November 2005, 07:01 PM
I bought a Minitar MN54GCB which uses the Broadcom chipset. Absolutely no issues in a TiPB DVI (RIP). It is a discontinued model as it has been replace with the MN54GCB-R, Ralink chipset unfortunately.

I bought mine from this place http://www.affinityvision.com.au/ (click on the Minitar logo to see products). Only &#036;60 (was cheaper before he found out this model was Mac OS X compatible). Don&#39;t be alarmed by the basic website :D Get it while it lasts, I had a lot of trouble sourcing this myself when I was in a similiar position after the built-in AirPort card died.