PDA

View Full Version : iCal data moving

kaisersozay
6th September 2010, 10:24 AM
Been running iCal happily on my PPC iMac iSight OS 10.4.9 and iCal 2.0.5
But the machine has suddenly developed issues sleeping intermittently and even shutting down when CPU is very busy. Consequently I have decided to move everything to my Mac Mini intel duo running OS 10.5.8 and iCal 3.0.8
No problem there, iCal is working just fine. The question is...
how do I get all the info from the old iCal to the new iCal?
Spotlight on the old version shows two paths -
/Library/Application Support
and
Library/Caches/Metadata
These do NOT exist on my new iCal, I suppose because I have entered nothing in iCal.
Would it be expedient to copy the contents of the the two old Library folders into the new machine Library or would it cause problems?
I need to keep the history of the old iCal as a record of past events etc.
Anyone have any thoughts?

soulman
6th September 2010, 02:04 PM
I would, and do, use Migration Assistant. Deals with all these issues for you. I don't see any point wasting my time doing something the computer can do for me.

kaisersozay
6th September 2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks soulman. Sadly there are odd problems with the old iCal that I simply cannot rectify. Apple Support keeps saying to delete /Library/iCal/Calendars however I cannot find any such file. So Migration Assistant if used, would no doubt bring the problem to the new iCal.
So, I will simply archive the old iCal and burn the file to a disk (that way I can find old diarised details etc if necessary)
Then just start anew today on the Mac Mini with the new iCal. Boring, but a simple workaround.

davidcolville
6th September 2010, 05:09 PM
Depending on how many Calendars you have - perhaps File Menu - "Exporting" the important ones then "Importing" them on the new machine will clean up the issues being experienced?

kaisersozay
8th September 2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks keyoptions. The old iCal is just too much of a mess and after many tries to remedy it (without a result) I have gone new start with the fresh iCal and archived the old one.
As a matter of interest, the problem was caused by syncing iCal with Entourage and even resetting iSync didn't work.