PDA

View Full Version : 'Send To' option in OS X?

mwot
4th October 2005, 12:06 PM
This is no major biggie as I don't use my iMac G5 in the same manner as my office Thinkpad running XP, but it is something that I would find useful in OS X at home.

There is nothing in the contextual menu in OS X that allows me to select a file and attach it direct to an email, like in WinXP (right-click/Send To/Mail Recipient) - or is there? Is there a shortcut that would do this/achieve the same result?

Running OS X 10.4.2.

Sam
4th October 2005, 12:08 PM
Click on File, then go to the Finder menu, goto Services, then Mail, Send To

Disko
4th October 2005, 12:09 PM
to attach a file to an email, i just drag it to mail's icon in the dock :thumbup:

forno
4th October 2005, 12:16 PM
The function mwot is refering to is "send to" either send to desktop,floppy drive or usb drive or similar

mwot
4th October 2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by grippon@Oct 4 2005, 12:16 PM
The function mwot is refering to is "send to" either send to desktop,floppy drive or usb drive or similar
That's right. Though, I'd only use it to send to mail recipient.

Si_man - I take it that there'd be a shortcut command to that process, rather than going through menus ?

Disko - that sounds like the winner to me. I gather that Mail will simply open with a blank email with the attachment? Will try that when I get home.

Cheers.

Georgina EG
4th October 2005, 12:24 PM
If a file is dragged to the Mail icon in the Dock, does this then open Mail for the file to be sent, and is there any risk of the file being left in the Mail and just a copy being sent?

Disko
4th October 2005, 12:38 PM
Mwot: yes - thats exactly what Mail will do.

Georgina: If Mail.app isn't running, then it will open up first, and then create a new blank message with the file attached. Any file you send this way (in any application using any method) will result in the file being 'copied' to the recipient. Thats normal. :)

mwot
4th October 2005, 02:48 PM
Using the above method for emailing attachments, would the same occur, for instance, if I were to drag a text file to the Excel/Word icon in the dock? Would Excel/Word launch and open the text file? That'll certainly be better than the contextual 'Open With' command - well, for me at least.

feeze
4th October 2005, 03:57 PM
Yep mwot, as long as the app supports that file type.

gilligan911
4th October 2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Oct 4 2005, 12:38 PM
If Mail.app isn't running, then it will open up first, and then create a new blank message with the file attached. Any file you send this way (in any application using any method) will result in the file being 'copied' to the recipient. Thats normal. :)
That's what I love most about macs and OSX. The most obvious stuff usually works. Coming from a windows environment I am always looking for the hard way to do stuff.

Took me ages to work out how to move my iTunes stuff from the PC to my iMac until I realised i just had to drag and drop into iTunes....

Yes, I am a dummy. :P

Johnny Appleseed
4th October 2005, 05:04 PM
Additionally, some apps (like Word) have a "Send to..." option under the File menu.

marc
4th October 2005, 06:01 PM
Plus, if you want to do something trickier, you could always create an Automator action that will be available from the finder's control-click or right click.

For attaching files to emails I usually do it this way: Start writing the email
Hit F11 (Exposť, show desktop)
Select the file and start dragging (the file doesn't have to be on the desktop, you can hit Apple-n and find it, then start dragging).
Hit F11 again while holding the mouse button down. Mail should be in front.
Drag the file into the mail window and let go.

Sounds complex, but it's simple and rocks! Also looks cool if someone else is watching you :)

creativeshed
4th October 2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed@Oct 4 2005, 05:04 PM
Additionally, some apps (like Word) have a "Send to..." option under the File menu.
Exactly - all Office apps do :thumbup:

decryption
4th October 2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Si_man@Oct 4 2005, 12:08 PM
Click on File, then go to the Finder menu, goto Services, then Mail, Send To
That's the best way to do it...

kit
4th October 2005, 11:55 PM
There are plug-ins to put the Services menu in your contextual menus (where it belongs).

A good hint, if a program isn't set to accept a certain file type, you can still open it in that application by holding Cmd while dragging it to that icon.

Oh, and BTW, Windows accepts drag/dropped files too.

Currawong
5th October 2005, 05:31 AM
You can also customise the toolbars of Finder windows and add applications at the top. It's normally redundant if you have the application in the dock, but I have added a couple of applications to the Finder windows as the dock can be a long distance to drag on a 20" screen.