PDA

View Full Version : New powerbook

murphdog
3rd October 2005, 07:48 PM
Is a powerbook upgrade due soonish? I had a 15" which packed it in and need to get another ASAP for work...is anything going to happen soon?

Thanks guys

tommelbourne
3rd October 2005, 07:58 PM
I would hold out for just a wee bit:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/10/20051001204211.shtml

Yes, it is just a rumour, but you would be kicking yourself if it came true!

Aa
3rd October 2005, 09:54 PM
Well.. it's well overdue, but hold out for what??
It'll be another 133mhz (or will it be 166?) and a subtle revision of the superdrive/graphics card/dvi output options/level blah blah cache. yawn....
Gimme some POWER dagnabbit!!

Hit ebay for basically the same pbook but a grand less.

Rayd
3rd October 2005, 10:41 PM
hold out a bit, the new powerbooks are meant to have a great boost in battery strength, and i think they hit the 1.7ghz mark? :P and obviosly some other extras...

murphdog
4th October 2005, 08:05 AM
Interesting...How do they usually go about announcing an upgrade? How long do you guys think the wait will be?

cheers

forno
4th October 2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by murphdog@Oct 4 2005, 08:05 AM
Interesting...How do they usually go about announcing an upgrade? How long do you guys think the wait will be?

cheers
Well, recently my gril bought a new iBook, ordered it and 6 weeks later we got the unit

The 6 weeks involved lots of "it willl be here in the next few days"

The last week and a half of which it was clear that it would be the newly released version

sdien
4th October 2005, 09:50 AM

cheers

When Are New Apple Products Released? (http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=12139)

yinyang
4th October 2005, 12:53 PM
just noticed the lead time on the apple store for 15" pBooks....

3-5 WEEKS!!

maybe an upgrade is imminent!!

i'd prefer to have a final revision PowerPC PowerBook than a first revision MacIntel, so here's hoping...! :)

and it's a tuesday!!!

lucious
4th October 2005, 12:56 PM
It's interesting that it says 24 hours on the Shop Page, but it you BTO, it goes to 3-5 weeks. Something dodgy going on there...

I want a final rev G4 PB too.

murphdog
4th October 2005, 01:22 PM
Whats BTO?
mmm would be very keen also!
If anyone knows anything else keep me informed
thanks

purana
4th October 2005, 01:24 PM
BTO = Build To Order

forno
4th October 2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by lucious@Oct 4 2005, 12:56 PM
It's interesting that it says 24 hours on the Shop Page, but it you BTO, it goes to 3-5 weeks. Something dodgy going on there...

I want a final rev G4 PB too.

Pfffft, has anyone actually had a mac in 24 hrs from apple store

zillatron
4th October 2005, 02:24 PM
Pfffft, has anyone actually had a mac in 24 hrs from apple store

well...I ordered a bto (60gb hdd)12" ibook a few weeks back from the online store.
it said 2-4 days.

ordered 9am monday, it was on my desk tuesday 4:30pm (you can probally subtract an hour or 2 to go though our stores)

i was shocked. :o
but very happy :D

Z :thumbup:

murphdog
4th October 2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys
How reliable are the rumors generally?

andywon
4th October 2005, 02:35 PM
I went to the Apple Store in Hurstville NSW during lunch time and found that 15" 1.67G PB with superdrive was selling for 2,999 only ! Does it imply that the new pb is on the way very soon ?

andrew

zillatron
4th October 2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by murphdog@Oct 4 2005, 02:28 PM
How reliable are the rumors generally?
Having switched only this year (Feb), i've found that you cant count on anything when it comes to Apple.

They do it their way - if that means not doing a keynote because it doesnt suit them, they wont do it.

If they want to hold the new products until macworld, thats what they will do.

My advice:
Buy when you need - if a new model comes out 2 months later, that doesnt make what you bought any less useable.

If your old pb died, and you need a new one, then you should buy it.
I guess just how much you need it will dictate if you can afford to wait a while longer 'just in case'.

murphdog
4th October 2005, 04:34 PM
Yeah I know, you make a very good point but I’m just trying to gather as much information as I can before I can because it would suck… with the closeness of the current I books its tempting to get one and just max the ram out…

andywon was that for a new one?

Cheers again guys

zillatron
4th October 2005, 05:01 PM
its tempting to get one and just max the ram out…

Thats exactly what i did ;)

I was in the market for a powerbook, but the ibooks are pretty good vaule (my opinion).
got 1gb ram from streetwise.com.au and got bto hard disk 60gb.

its great - but again, it depends on what you need it for.

ialienam
4th October 2005, 08:42 PM
Wow~~$2999 for PB 15 SD..

http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebO...tId=38225&s=300 (http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ASPRegistration.woa/wa/eventDetails?eventId=38225&s=300)

Don't know if you guys have read it before or not..

Many stores have been doing special deal on PB, action speaks louder than words.

Anyway...zillatron...I am about to buy a iBook 12 too (or PB 12), and I will do exactly what you have done.. upgrade to 1.5GB ram, and 60GB HD..
You happy with that?? I will spend about 95% of my time on word processing, websurfing, dvd and iMovie..

But I am thinking doing some light movie editing in the future, so I really want a PB!! and can use it as a desktop at home! I will see if I could narrow the gap between iBook and PB..

Which Apple store would be the best in Sydney?? Around CBD and Eastern Suburb.

ipsyd
4th October 2005, 10:21 PM
Try Applecentre Taylor Square. Their Pro Card ($99/yr) entitles you to discounted hardware & software, and free training in many apps at their very busy Academy

andywon
5th October 2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by andywon@Oct 4 2005, 02:35 PM
I went to the Apple Store in Hurstville NSW during lunch time and found that 15" 1.67G PB with superdrive was selling for 2,999 only ! Does it imply that the new pb is on the way very soon ?

andrew

Yes, it was a brand new one and I asked about it. The saleperson eventually thought his boss made a mistake but he would sell it before his boss changed the price.

Good Luck
Andy

P.S. I was told last week there that the Pro card was $12X for student and $199 for the others.

ipsyd
5th October 2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by andywon@Oct 5 2005, 12:04 AM
P.S. I was told last week there that the Pro card was $12X for student and $199 for the others.
I stand corrected on Applecentre Taylor Square Pro card membership. Students under 18 it's $99, teachers/students over 18 it's $129, others $199. Card entitles you to free attendance at any of their workshops (they run hundreds per year), priority support, discounts on hardware/software.

But what I like about the place is the buzz - and they know their stuff...

murphdog
5th October 2005, 08:32 AM
Well I’m using the laptop largely for communication design and working with some extremely large files so really do need all the power I can get my fingers on… <_<

zillatron
5th October 2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by ialienam@Oct 4 2005, 08:42 PM
You happy with that?? I will spend about 95% of my time on word processing, websurfing, dvd and iMovie..

Yep - its fine for all that. even tinkering in iMovie. If your going to get serious in iMovie though i&#39;d suggest a pbook.

only because the faster hard disk will probally make it better to use.

but for &#39;everyday&#39; stuff, you cant go past the &#39;wireless life&#39; as Apple would put it.

ialienam
5th October 2005, 09:04 AM
yah..I agree that if I am going to get serious in movie making, should go for PB..

At this moment, I want a iBook to have a real taste of Mac, and wait for Intel-based PB after 3 or 4 years (it will always take a while to see how the new products perform).

What I have in my mind is that upgrade to 1.5GB, and change the HD to 60GB 5400rpm..

Well...but I am still looking for a better deal in Sydney..The software is killing me&#33;&#33; &#036;200+ for MS Office&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Kildare
5th October 2005, 10:35 AM
I bump my iBook (1.2GHz) up to a 5,400RPM drive & 768MB RAM - makes it a bit more snappy. :P

ialienam
5th October 2005, 12:52 PM
It&#39;s really hard to say..I have been donig the research for couple of weeks now.

Some people said it will make a HUGE difference by changing it to 5400rpm..
And upgrade the memory to 1GB..

I asked Apple centre yesterday, the guy was really helpful, and he said it&#39;s really up to what kind software I am running.
If it was something that computer needs to take info from HD (e.g. movie editing etc), then it will matter.

But I asked one store today, they are not willing to change the HD (to 5400rpm) for me (cuz it will ruin the warranty, and if it damaged, you will be in deep shit)

From the feedback I got from other forums, if I could upgrade it to 1.5GB and 60GB 5400rpm, it will be a BIG jump.
Then there is no reason for me to spend so much money on PB 12..

Hey DeanCorp, where do you live?? If in Sydney, maybe we could buy the iBook together, and get more discount&#33;&#33;
I will visit Hurstville tomorrow, heard they have great deals at this moment

OziMac
5th October 2005, 01:12 PM
You&#39;re not going to get a discount for buying two iBooks.

Be grateful for the EDU pricing, it&#39;s the best you&#39;re going to get. Maybe use it as a tax deduction or salary package it. But from a retail point of view, the EDU&#39;s the bottom dollar (unless you get a marginally cheaper refurb from somewhere).

skibunny
5th October 2005, 02:11 PM
I would definately get the superdrive...makes life super easy for backup&#39;s.

I&#39;m glad I got the PB with a superdrive, only need one DVD disc to backup compared to 5-6 cd&#39;s

andywon
5th October 2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by andywon@Oct 5 2005, 12:04 AM

Yes, it was a brand new one and I asked about it. The saleperson eventually thought his boss made a mistake but he would sell it before his boss changed the price.

Good Luck
Andy

P.S. I was told last week there that the Pro card was &#036;12X for student and &#036;199 for the others.
Oh, I am too old to pretend to be under 18 anyway.
BTW, I&#39;ve just come back from AppleStore Hurstville and they said apple has hold delivery of 17" PB in the meantime. What do you rekon ?

Andy

ialienam
5th October 2005, 02:58 PM
I was going to buy 14&#39; too, but later I found 12&#39; looks better..
And same graphic card and same resolution, but different size screen.

So 12&#39; would actually give better quality..12&#39; isn&#39;t so bad after all, and if I really wanted a big screen, I can just hook up an external monitor (which would be much bigger than 14&#39;).
For SD, it&#39;s really up to individual.. I personlly don&#39;t need a SD, so I am happy with 12&#39;..Easy to carry, and more money to upgrade.

Yah, I think Hurstville is doing a special on PB, and I firmly believe that new PB will come out on this keynote event. It shouldn&#39;t have any impact on iBook price, right?

NOW, all I am looking for is a store (in sydney) that is willing to install a 60GB 5400rpm for me.. I don&#39;t know how to do it myself (and I am not willing to risk it anyway)But people have been saying it&#39;s worth to upgrade to 5400rpm.. Then it will pretty much make my iBook like PB 12

ialienam
5th October 2005, 03:46 PM
Well...to me, it is not worth &#036;500 (the truth is that I don&#39;t have the extra &#036;500&#33;&#33;&#33; :(

My goal is Intel-based PB, I don&#39;t want (can&#39;t) to pay too much money at this moment.

Unless I can find a really attractive deal for PB&#33;

For people who have 5400rpm HD on iBook, did you guys do it yourself?? or you got the stores to install for you?
The price of NB HD 5400rpm on streetwise isn&#39;t too bad.. (Fujitsu and Samsung should all be compatiable with iBook 12, right?)
Can I buy it and get other stores to install for me?

xsive
5th October 2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DeanCorp@Oct 5 2005, 03:21 PM
except for the different processor speed, logic board and bus speed and looks and graphics card :D

DeanCorp
The GeForce Go5200 in the 12" PB compares very similarly to the 9250 in the iBook. Which leaves an extra 32MB of VRAM as the only difference. This might make a difference depending on what you&#39;re running and wether compressed textures are used or not but it didn&#39;t stand out as a huge selling point for me.

It&#39;s pretty well proven that different logic boards make sfa difference to performance (usually benchmarks are within 2-3% of each other when looking at boards from different manufacturers).

So, we&#39;re left with an extra 166MHz of performance and an extra 33MHz bus speed. The speed difference is low though the extra bus speed is sweet. This of course needs to be weighed up against the 256MB max memory advantage the ibook holds.

When you consider that you could max out your ram, get a much better hard drive, upgrade the combo to a super-drive and STILL have ~&#036;300 left over when comparing the price of a 12" ibook vs a 12" PB it&#39;s not hard to see why so many people are choosing ibook -- I did&#33; :)

murphdog
21st October 2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys-after all that I think i&#39;m going to save my pennys and get a quad&#33; Wooohoo :thumbup:

arufu
24th October 2005, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine noticed that with this new PB revision that Apple&#39;s moved to DVD+R.

Anyone care to provide fact, speculation or humorous innuendo as to why they might have done this? :)

Does it have to do with the dual layer SuperDrive, maybe?

We were (both) under the impression that -R is the preferred format as many DVD players (for your TV) don&#39;t support the +R.

Or are we misinformed or confused or both?

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

arribadia
25th October 2005, 07:16 AM
I suspect it is dual format..

Most drives these day do that (on the PC side) at least.

By the way, does anyone else feel tempted by this update? I&#39;m having this push pull debacle about ordering a 15" right now.. the price reduction is certainly welcome, as with improved specs, but the cpu does seem lacking..

spy
25th October 2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by arufu@Oct 24 2005, 11:54 AM
A friend of mine noticed that with this new PB revision that Apple&#39;s moved to DVD+R.

Anyone care to provide fact, speculation or humorous innuendo as to why they might have done this? :)

Does it have to do with the dual layer SuperDrive, maybe?

We were (both) under the impression that -R is the preferred format as many DVD players (for your TV) don&#39;t support the +R.

Or are we misinformed or confused or both?

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

most laptops have been burning dual for quite a while iirc. mine seems to do both, not the DL one though.

yellowmike2000
25th October 2005, 10:48 AM
The new powerbook (the recently updated one) has the facility to burn DVR-/+R/RW, and Dual Layer.
However, for back up, rather than burn DVDs, i prefer to back all my data in my Samsung portable External Hard Drive, it&#39;s so easy and reliable. I have a powerbook 15" superdrive, and i only burn DVD if I want to give the data to other people.

the_cripple
25th October 2005, 01:47 PM
Tempted to buy a powerbook atm. Im leaning towards the 12inch but the 15inch is mighty tempting. Though i dont think I can justify the extra &#036;600. I could buy an xbox360 instead :P

That and the 12inch is nice and portable for uni. As you can probably tell im trying to justify buying a 12inch PB :)

arufu
25th October 2005, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. That&#39;s it. You&#39;ve helped me make up my mind.

<twirls gun with monocle, while a bikini-clad Marge watusis in the background>
I&#39;m going to rob the Kwik-e-mart&#33;

Echelon: please diregard previous statement. I am not going to rob the Kwik-e-mart, nor do I wear a monocle. Any statements to that effect are lies and slander, and will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I am, however going to buy a new 15" PowerBook. :)