PDA

View Full Version : Apple Providing Live Video Stream of Sept 1 Event

MTBlogBot2000
1st September 2010, 09:08 AM
In an out of nowhere move, Apple is providing a public live stream of their September 1st (Sept 2nd here in Australia) event!! Apple used to do this a couple of years ago and we've all missed it - for whatever reason, Apple is going back to those early 2000's and streaming the event live again!

The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on September 1, 2010 <em>(3:00AM, AEST, September 2, 2010)</em> at <a href="http://apple.com">www.apple.com</a>

<a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/08/31alert.html">Full details on Apple's PR site.</a>

I wonder what Apple has up their sleeve that makes a live event necessary? :)

Devil rolla
1st September 2010, 09:09 AM
bets on the servers crashing and burning ? lol

AnthoMac
1st September 2010, 09:19 AM
Wow it's been ages since they've done this. Possibly in light of the iPhone 4 announcement where Steve exercised his godly powers by asking everyone to turn off their wifi's and mifi's because everyone was too busy blogging or streaming their own vids from the Apple event and rendered the demos useless.

Oh, but live streaming won't screen out people yelling out "verizon"!

It must be the launch of the PowerBook G5. So staying up for this.

amstrad_mac
1st September 2010, 09:26 AM
Whoa!! Awesome

zillatron
1st September 2010, 09:29 AM
I predict the launch of the iWatch (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/08/31/can-touch-this-65-iwatch/).

You heard it here first!
Dan

mattcooper
1st September 2010, 09:43 AM
Must have a product that needs to be seen in video rather then pictures. Eg iTV content.

Hope there ready for the servers to be bent over and f*&^ed

Matt

Stez
1st September 2010, 09:45 AM
omg. Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really this is epic. Oh, and what's even better? I can watch it while lying down in bed on my iPad! There's gotta be something big going down tomorrow. But the reason it's streamed is probably because it'll be using the Internet and they don't want bloggers interfering with the network. I think this means iTV :)

Looks like I might be paying a visit to Apple Store George St sooner rather then later.

Japester
1st September 2010, 09:57 AM
That's a really surprising and welcome move. I like your theory that it's to reduce the usefulness of bloggers doing the same. That makes sense.

I'll actually get up early to watch this now instead of just reading the website around 6:00AM and watching the podcast later.

maclab
1st September 2010, 10:01 AM
From the way it reads, you can only view the stream from an Apple device, possible that you could not view it from a machine running Windows?

decryption
1st September 2010, 10:07 AM
From the way it reads, you can only view the stream from an Apple device, possible that you could not view it from a machine running Windows?

Nope. They're using QuickTime Live Streaming. Which only works with QuickTime X - not available for anything besides Mac 10.6 and iOS 3.0 and above.

Chief911
1st September 2010, 10:15 AM
Nope. They're using QuickTime Live Streaming. Which only works with QuickTime X - not available for anything besides Mac 10.6 and iOS 3.0 and above.

OHHHHHH EPIC FAIL im still on 10.5.8 FUCK~

Ecto1
1st September 2010, 10:46 AM
As I'm away from my home network I'm stuck with telstra 3G on the iPad. I hope it can stream fine.

LevMac
1st September 2010, 10:52 AM
Will be great for those that want to get up and watch it live...

I think I will enjoy my sleep and wake up with excitement to check the Apple website instead :)

vecsty
1st September 2010, 10:58 AM
HTTP Live Streaming.

Nice way to load test a new data center or to stop people from live blog the event..

Vipster
1st September 2010, 11:14 AM
So what time would this be in Victoria?

Snow Leopard
1st September 2010, 11:17 AM
OHHHHHH EPIC FAIL im still on 10.5.8 FUCK~

Have you got an iPod Touch, iPhone 3G (or higher) or iPad running the latest software (or 3.0 will work fine) because it works there

Japester
1st September 2010, 11:21 AM
You know what? I'd like to sit back on the couch and watch the stream on my 40" TV through my Apple TV. :D

Seriously though, I might use the iPad. I have to guess this wouldn't work on the PS3 browser. I've got one of those.

Snow Leopard
1st September 2010, 11:24 AM
I predict the launch of the iWatch (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2010/08/31/can-touch-this-65-iwatch/).

You heard it here first!
Dan

Me too!

My other predictions are:

*iPod Micro (if no iWatch)
iTunes 10 (or iTunes X)
iLife+iWork '11
iOS 4 For iPad (HOPEFULLY)

Well, I guess we'll see tomorrow morning!

tom5955
1st September 2010, 11:28 AM
Me too!

My other predictions are:

*iPod Micro (if no iWatch)
iTunes 10 (or iTunes X)
iLife+iWork '11

iOS 4 for iPad would be fantastic. Can't wait, so hopefully they announce that its coming soon!

Japester
1st September 2010, 11:31 AM
...My other predictions are:

iTunes 10 (or iTunes X)
iLife+iWork '11

iTunes' main problem is lousy performance. It needs to be rewritten from the ground up with a modern code base and a relational database. It actually writes out the whole database every time you change a comma. I think they've been working on it for some time. Given the magnitude of the change, it could have it's own event, especially if it's rebranded. Tomorrow I think we'll get the customary tweaked app that merely adds support for the new iDevices.

There's no way we'll see new Mac software. It's the iPod event. Always has been and will always be focussed on this.

I doubt we'll see an iOS update for the iPad. That will come later.

james the 2nd
1st September 2010, 11:41 AM
I'll actually get up early to watch this now instead of just reading the website around 6:00AM and watching the podcast later.

Yeah, me too. Was going to get up after the event, whereas this is a great reason to set the alarm for the live event!

I hope the stream will be ok... Mind you a great test for their servers if that's the way they are going with the ATV..

Snow Leopard
1st September 2010, 11:42 AM
iOS 4 for iPad would be fantastic. Can't wait, so hopefully they announce that its coming soon!

The main reason that I want it is (being as boring as it probably is) Enhanced podcast chapters to work. Say I was listening to MacTalk. I click a chapter. It then sends me back to the first EPISODE OF THE SERIES at the time that chapter was marked.

AARRRGH!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Hopefully it will be fixed though :)

Snow Leopard
1st September 2010, 11:44 AM
omg. Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really this is epic. Oh, and what's even better? I can watch it while lying down in bed on my iPad! There's gotta be something big going down tomorrow. But the reason it's streamed is probably because it'll be using the Internet and they don't want bloggers interfering with the network. I think this means iTV :)

Looks like I might be paying a visit to Apple Store George St sooner rather then later.

I might be going to chermside soon too! :nerd:

Devil rolla
1st September 2010, 12:22 PM
by announcing the live stream the day before, and without announcing it as "something new you need to see", im assuming its a test on the network.
Not going to break sleep for this one, will catch it all on twitter in the morning.

NathR32
1st September 2010, 12:38 PM
This is great news. I'd much rather watch a live stream than a refreshing internet page with notes and pictures.

Edit; Now I have to figure out how to display this on my TV, a few metres away from my iMac....

Trabb
1st September 2010, 01:00 PM
Does anyone else think that the reason they are streaming this is a proof of concept for something they are about to announce?

Darwiniandude
1st September 2010, 01:02 PM
You know what? I'd like to sit back on the couch and watch the stream on my 40" TV through my Apple TV. :D

Seriously though, I might use the iPad. I have to guess this wouldn't work on the PS3 browser. I've got one of those.

I've watched iPad content on the TV through the component cable, do you have one? Works with YouTube and native movies, not sure about HTTP streaming...

SRG
1st September 2010, 01:12 PM
I more suspect they are streaming to try and limit the wifi usage given the problems last time. By streaming themselves they greatly reduce the need for people to be live blogging the event.

adamd
1st September 2010, 01:12 PM
It must be the launch of the PowerBook G5. So staying up for this.

All the other G5's got live streaming keynotes right? :)

As I'm away from my home network I'm stuck with telstra 3G on the iPad. I hope it can stream fine.

AFAIK, QuickTime StreamingServer allows for live encoding which on the fly renders the video for multiple device formats, in different sizing. You should be fine :)

iPad+VGA Cable.

adamd
1st September 2010, 01:16 PM
I've watched iPad content on the TV through the component cable, do you have one? Works with YouTube and native movies, not sure about HTTP streaming...

It should work... I'm pretty sure it works on all video that runs through Quicktime.

Does anyone else think that the reason they are streaming this is a proof of concept for something they are about to announce?

Yes. And to show off their schmicko new data center :)

I wanna see pictures of the inside of it :D

Japester
1st September 2010, 01:20 PM
...iPad+VGA Cable.

Good notion, though I don't have one. I could connect my iMac to the TV over VGA though. I hadn't thought of that.

Japester
1st September 2010, 01:32 PM
What's a good web page to test HTTP Live Streaming? Doesn't matter what it is--I just want to make sure I'm ready to go.

gutch
1st September 2010, 01:50 PM

Absolutely. Live TV streaming has been around for a while on various platforms, but it's always been a bit crap jerky movement, frequent dropouts and buffering, difficult menus and navigation.

Just like video calling was a bit of a joke until Apple released Facetime, live TV streaming is a bit of a joke now. It would be very Apple to take live TV and movie streaming and make it fun and easy to use... TV on iPod (and iPad/iPhone) is my bet.

Stez
1st September 2010, 02:34 PM
What's a good web page to test HTTP Live Streaming? Doesn't matter what it is--I just want to make sure I'm ready to go.

It's Apple, you'll be fine. Just load up website and it should ''just work''. Even if you tried a test and it did/didn't work theres nothing you can change to make it work for the event. Just load it up and unless there is a server overload everything will work fine.

cambo3112
1st September 2010, 02:59 PM
Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-31/apple-said-to-plan-netflix-streaming-service-on-tv-product-netflix-climbs.html) (and plenty of others) reckon it's the iTV or AppleTV or whatever you want to call it.

As a concept, having apps on your TV where you can get content directly is a game changer in my books. The major networks in Australia already do catch-up TV - this would be just another, easier way to get that content. Not to mention iTunes rentals and the countless hours of quality content from independent producers. All they have to do is make an app (we are going to need bigger pipes!). I'd be interested to see how they adapt the iOS touch interface to a screen you can't touch though.

Oh, and there'll be the new iPod "even more nano" and iPod Touch with cameras and FaceTime ... maybe iTunes subscriptions?

Either way, it's pretty safe to say it's going to be a bit bigger than new colours for the iPod Shuffle. Having said all that, there have been plenty of Apple events in the recent past which the rumour mill has jumped all over and then complained because the event didn't deliver on the hype.

I also think the "Can Touch This" guys should patent the hell out of the iWatch - that is a dead-set winner!!

decryption
1st September 2010, 03:06 PM

Akamai iPhone Showcase (http://iphone.akamai.com/)

The demos on the Akamai site are HTTP Live Streaming vids (and chances are Apple will be using Akamai for this stream as well, so it's prob even the same server)

nibbles
1st September 2010, 03:17 PM
is there a link for where it will be? My bets are on the live streaming testing the new data centre & reducing the need for bloggers

tcn33
1st September 2010, 03:24 PM
is there a link for where it will be?

Yes, in the first post.

The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on September 1, 2010 (3:00AM, AEST, September 2, 2010) at www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com)

bennyling
1st September 2010, 03:28 PM

The demos on the Akamai site are HTTP Live Streaming vids (and chances are Apple will be using Akamai for this stream as well, so it's prob even the same server)

That's actually pretty cool. Didn't know about that site, thanks for pointing it out!

Japester
1st September 2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks for that, decryption. I secretly want to test this with my PS3, but hold no hope that it will work.

pyrite
1st September 2010, 03:34 PM
Bring on 3am. I have a three day work conference starting with a 5am wakeup tomorrow morning, but definitely still getting up for this :)

ChrisG
1st September 2010, 03:53 PM
Am contemplating getting up early and watching this on my iPad live. If they are streaming it live how long do you think it would take Apple to post a download link online so rather than me having to wake up at 3 in the morning I can instantly turn on my Mac Mini and watch it on the big screen with a better experience and surround sound woooooos!!!!! in the audience in the morning when I get up :D

nibbles
1st September 2010, 04:11 PM
Yes, in the first post.

sorry, just got back from thredbo this afternoon and I am having trouble reading everything. I will go to sleep very early tonight and be ready by 3am tomorrow

Snow Leopard
1st September 2010, 05:30 PM
I hope someone makes a forum thread or something so we can discuss stuff while the event is on - I'm ready - BRING ON 3AM!!! :)

nibbles
1st September 2010, 05:39 PM
check your emails, decryption sent out an email containing info about using the live chat stream

EDIT: a thread would be good though because it is easier to look at as usually there aren't as many posts per minute, on os 3.1.2 is it possible to play it in the background and then go to tapatalk or similar?

Snow Leopard
1st September 2010, 05:47 PM
check your emails, decryption sent out an email containing info about using the live chat stream

EDIT: a thread would be good though because it is easier to look at as usually there aren't as many posts per minute, on os 3.1.2 is it possible to play it in the background and then go to tapatalk or similar?

Yeah but the stream is video - it looks like I'll be using my MacBook anyway ;)

Darwiniandude
1st September 2010, 09:26 PM
Bip Bop All (http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbopall.html)

That link Apples' HTTP live streaming server test thingy. Confirmed working on HDTV from iPad hooked up via composite cable (can't find component or VGA one doh)

Works... I'll be sitting on the sofa near the heater at 2:30am!

Swathe
1st September 2010, 09:57 PM
Jump into the IRC channel, should be a few of us in there.

maclab
1st September 2010, 11:20 PM
Maybe be announcing also a 7 inch iPad and live streaming so that more people will know about it the day before samsung release there 7 inch. Android tablet the day after?

timothy
2nd September 2010, 01:55 AM
I am here and ready...

Apple store down!!!! soon

AnthoMac
2nd September 2010, 03:02 AM
For those streaming the video using Apple's official links and safari (and possibly iOS) right now, wow how smooth and flawless does the steaming look!

ChrisG
2nd September 2010, 03:03 AM
Is trying to watch the stream. Anyone else seeing video? Because I'm not on my iPad