PDA

View Full Version : Who's holding out for a Mactel?



graemie
3rd October 2005, 03:03 PM
I run a graphic design business and currently use my 1Ghz 17" powerbook, which is starting to feel like it's in need of some help in the speed department despite being maxed out at 1G RAM - Tiger is pretty punishing in this respect.

I've decided to hold out until the new Mactels come out mid-next year (fingers crossed) and get a desktop machine to compliment the powerbook rather than replace it.

Anyone else holding out until then?

g.

waynie
3rd October 2005, 03:08 PM
I'm waiting for the first line of Mactel's before buying a new PowerMac. I'm interested to see the performance boost (if any) and their choice of processors.

g4cube
3rd October 2005, 03:10 PM
I am not that i have a powerbook but just the same even though my G4 is fine at what it does there is something cool about the latest stuff. And it appears i will miss the G5's.

SRG
3rd October 2005, 03:11 PM
Not going to be holding out...I am waiting on the Mini to get it's speed bump and will be buying one of them to takeover from the PowerMac.

Will worry about the MacTel when the Ibook needs replacing sometime on 07.

owl
3rd October 2005, 03:20 PM
I dun think I can hold out for mactels mid-2007 but am making an attempt to hold out for my powerbook purchase end-2006 or early-2007.

owl

marc
3rd October 2005, 03:27 PM
Kind of holding out... I'd love a new laptop, but will wait for the mactels. I'd *really* like to wait for the rev B Mactel PBs, but I don't think I'll be able to.

Kuma
3rd October 2005, 03:27 PM
depending on how well I can run windows - or the couple of window apps I need to run

I could be looking at replacing my WinXP machine next year....

graemie
3rd October 2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by marc@Oct 3 2005, 03:27 PM
Kind of holding out... I'd love a new laptop, but will wait for the mactels. I'd *really* like to wait for the rev B Mactel PBs, but I don't think I'll be able to.
I know what you mean - My 17"er is one of the first batch and I paid almost $7K for it! They are much cheaper now with faster processors but at the time I couldn't hold out any longer. Still it's been a fantastic machine and was the perfect desktop replacement for me at the time, as I used to work in a café for 2-4 hours each day.

g.

Goodbye
3rd October 2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Kuma@Oct 3 2005, 03:27 PM
depending on how well I can run windows
You'll be able to run windows on them? News to me...

iluvmymactoo
3rd October 2005, 04:27 PM
There is no way I am going to buy a first generation Mactel. My Powerbook is doing fine for starters and I have no doubt the line of Mactels will be upgraded relatively quick up to third generations. I'm happy to wait it out until the bugs have been ironed out by all those "testers" out there and get myself a sweet third generation Powerbook Mactel.

Johnny Appleseed
3rd October 2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Oct 3 2005, 03:56 PM
You'll be able to run windows on them? News to me...
Apple says it won't support Windows, but won't stop users from installing it either. I'll probably boot into Vista once a year for e-tax.

Silver
3rd October 2005, 05:03 PM
I bought a new Mac in April, before the announcement. Looking back on it though, I'd make the same decision though. I wouldn't have held out.

And to help justify it to myself, I call my new Mac "The Last Of The Real Macs". :)

Exocet
3rd October 2005, 05:24 PM
Looking forward to getting a PowerMactel as soon as they're released. Will be good to have a PC and a Mac all-in-one to use a real machine, but have something there that I can game on too :D

mwot
3rd October 2005, 05:30 PM
Depends on two things - cash and the timing of the said cash.

I'd like a 12" iBook to compliment the iMac (I'd use the iBook for portable study - and I've downgraded my wishlist from a 14" to a 12" as I don't think I'll need the additional screen realestate after all). Then, when I think about it, I don't even need a new iBook as it will be mainly used for Word/Excel, Accordance software, some internet use, etc., so I'd be happy just with a G3, I think.

So, if I had the cash to spare today, I'd find myself a decent, pre-loved 12" iBook G3; if I have the cash to spare by the time the Mactel iBooks are out, I might get myself a pre-loved G4/G3 iBook - on the assumption that the price will be lower.

Until then, I'm building up some muscles as I lug my iMac around under my arm (no - just kidding :))

gilligan911
3rd October 2005, 06:02 PM
I'm with mwot. All I need is an iBook to take on the road with me to do the basics. No need to spend heaps on a mactel with all of the associated risks that seem to come with Rev A machines......

In a sense though I am waiting for the mactels 'cause that's when I'll get an end-of-line G4 at (hopefully) a good price. ;)

the_OM
3rd October 2005, 06:52 PM
I'm waiting.
i figure my powerbook can hold out until mid to late next year. Then I get rid of it and my thinkpad and like others have said have an all-in-one mac and windows machine.

I'm thinking Apple will release new designed powerbooks for it, and my only hope is that they look as sharp as the albooks, but then again this Jonathon Ive designing them, so I bet they'll look even better.
Can't wait for them.

marc
3rd October 2005, 07:15 PM
This is one of the biggest changes in the history of Apple, so a new exterior design to reflect the new interior is certain. Well... as certain as anyone can be at this point. And yeah, I agree OM... the current PBs are very sexy but I have every bit of faith in Mr Ive :)

nicwithsticks
3rd October 2005, 07:16 PM
I'm with the_OM and a few others around here, I'm holding out. My 12" is just over a year old now, so I'm thinking I'll wait until the Intel PowerBooks's next year and grab one of those.

I need a few Windows apps, so it will be awesome to have dual boot capabilities and all that. Plus, if the current design is anything to go by, the next one's should look awesome.

I've even opened a 'New PowerBook' savings account and started putting money into it. I can't wait, they're going to be awesome.

Currawong
3rd October 2005, 07:54 PM
I have a 1Ghz 15" Albook, and after spending 3 weeks in Japan using it instead of a G5, I understand the feeling. What made a lot of difference though was swapping the original 4200rpm HD for a 7200rpm one. I gather, however, that the latest 120Gb 5400rpm drives, because of the much higher platter density, are very quick.

While I hold out for a Powerbook with 2x dual-core 2.5Ghz processors and 6 hour battery life, I'm thinking of going for one of the 120Gb hd's, as it's the biggest bottleneck of the system, beyond getting 2x 1GB RAM (was cheap in Japan and very tempting).

owl
3rd October 2005, 10:36 PM
I am holding out too but will get a powerbook or iMac G5 if nothing new comes out by the end of 2005.

owl :blink:

entropy
3rd October 2005, 10:42 PM
I had just ordered my imac when the intel announcement came out. I briefly considered cancelling and waiting another year, but then realised that it was most defintely time to upgrade, as the ol' 'book no longer could cope.

And I would snap up a 12" G4 ibook if the price was cheap enough.

(looks like my ideal setup would be similar to mwot's)

Rayd
3rd October 2005, 10:48 PM
mi defanilty holding out for a new powermactel in mid-2006, it will be great being able to run virtual PC at REAL PC speed (or so they say) so that i can FINALY play some GREAT games! :D and the speed will be great :)

suryo
4th October 2005, 12:12 AM
I'm going to wait until the mactels come out and everyone wants the latest and greatest, and then I'll buy myself the best runout G5 I can afford. I'm not interested in doing beta-testing for Apple. I think by 2008 it would be safe to use an Intel Mac without any problems.

gmask1
4th October 2005, 12:16 AM
My rental Powerbook will hit 18 months old in June next year, which is apparently a good baseline to start considering an update to the rental. I might skip the first gen releases, and maybe look at a powermac around October-November.

Johnny Appleseed
4th October 2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by suryo@Oct 4 2005, 12:12 AM
I'm not interested in doing beta-testing for Apple. I think by 2008 it would be safe to use an Intel Mac without any problems.
You might be surprised how stable Leopard is right out of the gate. Remember, Apple has been secretly developing the OS X universal binary in parallel with the PPC-native version.

aswitcher
4th October 2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah, for me 2007 ia likely to be the PB upgrade. Intel inside should hopefully give me dual boot which would give me the best of both worlds. Worth the wait I feel.

MacPC
9th October 2005, 10:49 AM
I am certainly holding out for the Mactel computers next year, am currently a windows user at home (although swing both ways at work!), and I am sick to death of Win XP and its slowness.

I think Apple will change the look of their machines with the move to intel processors, stands to reason that with such a major shift they would want them to stand out.

My wish list for a new powerbook would be:
Clear/glass like cases or cases not unlike iPod Nano black
SED displays replacing LCDs (see:
SED Displays on show in Paris (http://www.behardware.com/articles/593-1/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-sed.html).)
User upgradable video cards (Nvidia has already developed these!)
Better quality speakers, less tinny
Much larger h/disks
Higher resolution screens
Blu-ray drive
>1GB memory
Swappable drive bays like on Thinkpads, allowing us to upgrade our drives to something newer ;)

I am half betting that when Apple does release these Mactels that the Intel version of Mac OS X will include WINE (WINdows Emulator) as seen on Linux, or Rosetta doing the same thing.

applecollector
9th October 2005, 11:41 AM
I'll definatly buy a REV 1 MacIntel Laptop or Desktop of Some sort.
Hopefully with Leopard! :-)

hawker
9th October 2005, 01:02 PM
I'll be buying a powermac G5 if they dual core, and will not even cosider a mactel till about revison Z!

zedrac
9th October 2005, 02:16 PM
Of course it depends on money, but I think my next computer purchase will be a revision 2 Mactel PowerBook. At least, that's what I'm planning on. I guess it depends where I end up studying next year, too

marc
9th October 2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MacPC@Oct 9 2005, 10:49 AM
SED displays replacing LCDs (see:
SED Displays on show in Paris (http://www.behardware.com/articles/593-1/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-sed.html).)
>1GB memory

SED looks like a great technology.

I have 1.25gb on my 12" PB. Are you talking about as standard, or... ??!?!?

ialienam
9th October 2005, 04:51 PM
I am waiting for a Mactel as well..
But I just placed an order for a new iBook a few days ago..

Cuz I am new to Apple, unwilling/unable to spend big $$ on PB..
I figure that my new iBook would hold at least 3 years, and will give me time to have a "try" and see the how new Mactel performs.

Plus I never like being a white rat, when Mactel first comes out, it will have problems just like other new machines out there.

The machine itself isn't too expensive in Auz, but the 3rd party accessories are way too OVERPRICED!!

LCGuy
9th October 2005, 07:02 PM
All going well, i'm probably going to end up getting a Rev. B Macintel mini.

iSlayer
9th October 2005, 07:12 PM
i really dont see the point waiting a year for an intel mac
we all know that 6 months or a year after you buy it there will be something faster released.
Does it really matter what kind of cpu you have.

dangelovich
9th October 2005, 07:15 PM
I'm not specifically after the Intel processor, but rather the potential it will bring to the machine. If I can get a mac that can dual boot, then I'll be happy.

c3017474
9th October 2005, 08:37 PM
Everyone always says they wouldn't buy a Rev A product on the basis that they still have some problems but I have a Rev A 12" PB and a Rev A Mac Mini and I have had no dramas at all. Admittedly some of the features present on the later revisions is missing, but the same could be said of Rev B, C etc. products as new models are released - that's how technology goes.

Therefore, I will be buying I 15" Macintel PB as soon as they are available - I've started saving already ;) !

Sambo
9th October 2005, 09:08 PM
I am holding out because it will take me till when the mactels are out to have the money!

notb4dinner
9th October 2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by dangelovich@Oct 9 2005, 07:15 PM
I&#39;m not specifically after the Intel processor, but rather the potential it will bring to the machine. If I can get a mac that can <s>dual boot</s> run vmware, then I&#39;ll be happy.Fixed for me.

zedrac
9th October 2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by c3017474@Oct 9 2005, 08:37 PM
Everyone always says they wouldn&#39;t buy a Rev A product on the basis that they still have some problems but I have a Rev A 12" PB and a Rev A Mac Mini and I have had no dramas at all. Admittedly some of the features present on the later revisions is missing, but the same could be said of Rev B, C etc. products as new models are released - that&#39;s how technology goes.

Therefore, I will be buying I 15" Macintel PB as soon as they are available - I&#39;ve started saving already ;) &#33;
The difference is that it&#39;s a completely new thing. The mini was still the same processor, same system as before, tried and tested, whereas the Mactels will be something never done before, thus there are almost certain to be bugs. Hopefully there won&#39;t be, but chances are, there will be.

ialienam
10th October 2005, 05:04 PM
I really like PB 15 before, but now I actually prefer 12&#39; because easier to carry around (and due to small space at my house), and with the price difference I can connect to a bigger monitor at home..

So what I would love to see in Mactel,

1. 13&#39; inch PB, has become a trend thse days..12&#39; is fine with me.. But 13 would be much better

2. Dual processors (exactly what everybody wants).

3. Cooler, and longer battery life

4. Better upgrade capacity (e.g. up to 2GB RAM, graphic card).

That&#39;s all I need at this moment..
But I guess # 2 and #3 will make it very very hard to come true..

tranp
10th October 2005, 05:34 PM
Yes, most likely. I figure I will need updated hardware late next year, so I may as well wait until the next generation iMac/PB gets intel processors.

ADAMS77
10th October 2005, 06:59 PM
People have been talking about putting windows on the new Mac with intel processor. I spoke to a friend at Next Byte a few weeks ago and he said that the new processor wont be set up to run stand allone windows. Mac will still be Mac OS ONLY. the only way to run windows on it is by using Virtual PC (VPC).
But the good news is that it will run fast because at the moment windows has to convert the code everytime u do something on VPC, but because the new processors are intel then windows wont have to convert the code making it as fast as a normal pc. The second bit of good news is that you can have both windows and Mac on at the same time without either one being slow (as long as the computer is fast).
Also, i can remember if Steve mentioned this in the Keynote but the processor speed will be over 5GHz. I think he did though.
Hope this helps if it hasnt already been mentioned. lol

Johnny Appleseed
10th October 2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ADAMS77@Oct 10 2005, 06:59 PM
I spoke to a friend at Next Byte a few weeks ago and he said that the new processor wont be set up to run stand allone windows. Mac will still be Mac OS ONLY. the only way to run windows on it is by using Virtual PC (VPC).

Actually Apple&#39;s own VP has said they won&#39;t stop anyone from running Windows (they just won&#39;t support it). Dual-booting will be a reality.

ADAMS77
11th October 2005, 02:12 AM
O ok well if apples own VP said it then i guess thats how it will be. thanks for clearing that up.

ADAMS77
11th October 2005, 02:22 AM
If all goes well with money then ill wait till the new intel processors are in the powerbooks and then get a 15inch PB. Might get the second bunch so they fix what ever problems there might be and improve the perfomance and lower the price. I learnt from my mistake from buying one of the first iMac G5s. soon after i picked it up they released the 2GHz Dual Layer Combo ones. lol but the one i got is still great. its a mac after all.
If im short on cash then ill swap my iMac G5 over for the new iMac with intel CPU. hope they dont have that crappy "intel inside" sticker on it. i wouldnt want to have anything that resembles windows visible on my macs.

dshan
11th October 2005, 07:26 AM
The Rev A Mactels will have issues -- limited availability of universal binaries, bugs in Mac OS X for the new H/W, bugs and issues with Rosetta, and perhaps even h/w problems like the white spots on the Al PowerBooks. I&#39;ll be waiting for at least 6 months, and probably a year, after the first Mactels come out (say until early-mid &#39;07) before considering them. By then the teething problems should be sorted out and things running smoothly. Until then, I&#39;m hoping for a nice new upgraded 15" PB announcement this week -- buy a maxed out 2GB RAM/DVD/1.8GHz AlBook and smile as all the early-Mactel adopters cry about their problems on message boards like this all across the net.

OziMac
11th October 2005, 07:55 AM
Just as a point of interest, has anyone seen MacBidouille&#39;s screenshot (http://www.hardmac.com/news/2005-10-10/#4588) of a quad-3GHz Intel running OS X (from their wording - and given their reliability - perhaps a prototype, rather than a PC running hacked OS X)?

Looks pretty cool - if that&#39;s what Powermacs have in store after the switch, then sign me up (software permitting) :)

nicwithsticks
11th October 2005, 09:26 AM
Why is everyone so certain that the rev. A Intel Mac&#39;s ae gonna be troublesome?

They seem to be forgetting that OS X has been Intel native from the start. Sure, there is going to be a few transition issues with software, but I&#39;m expecting the hardware to be top notch, as usual.

Jaffa
11th October 2005, 12:14 PM
I think the switch is probably going to go much easier that when apple was switching to OSX in the beginning...