PDA

View Full Version : i3 vs i5

Kodo
31st August 2010, 07:21 PM
depending on news I get from repairer tomorrow I may be in market for a new iMac. Was looking at the store today and upgrades from base model 27 inch include upgrading to an i5 chip from i3 for $290.

Is that worth the extra price? Just looking for general opinions and not massive detailed tech reports about it. Other option is possibly getting the next model up that has i5 as a default chip but I think that's more expensive again.

Happy for any opinions. Hopefully it won't come o this and it's just 3rd faulty video card (under warranty) or the logic board which would be prohibitively expensive to replace.

Thanks for your guidance..

bartron
31st August 2010, 07:27 PM
What are you going to do with it?

Essentially the i3 is dual core and the i5 is quad core so if you're doing lots of stuff that would use 4 cores then go the i5 but if it's just office stuff and web the the i3 would probably suffice.

Get whatever you can afford though as it the higher spec the machine, the longer you can use it for.

auspad
31st August 2010, 07:28 PM
As with all these questions, what will you be doing on a computer? emails, text documents, internet and light photo editing will all be fine on an i3.

EDIT: barton, there is a dual core i5, its 3.6 ghz.

ednap
31st August 2010, 07:35 PM
IMHO always worth buying the best CPU you can afford

bartron
31st August 2010, 07:39 PM
EDIT: barton, there is a dual core i5, its 3.6 ghz.

Correct you are.

Wikipedia has a couple of tables that you can look at but from what I can gather the number 5 is bigger than the number 3 and therefore should be better.

auspad
31st August 2010, 07:45 PM
yes, get the best one you can afford, then go 1 better so you appreciate it more when you get it.

Kodo
31st August 2010, 07:51 PM
Well won't be doing video editing or anything like that. Will just be general stuff but will also be dual booting into Windows and playing some games, mostly Everquest 2 so it's not likely I would ever need a quad core and maybe not even a dual core though as you say probably better to go with the better chip.

Thanks for responses so far.

auspad
31st August 2010, 08:04 PM
if your playing games,

graphics card > processor

auspad
31st August 2010, 08:05 PM
if your playing games,

graphics card > processor

idiesel
31st August 2010, 10:11 PM
Go the quad core. With more apps coming out and using multicore processing, it'll only serve you better in the long run.

Stez
31st August 2010, 10:36 PM
Go the quad core. With more apps coming out and using multicore processing, it'll only serve you better in the long run.

Cmon man that's BS. My top end 15" MBP is now slower then the bottom end 15" in one year. Buy what you need, it's better to buy often small then big less often. That i5 will be shit in 12 months, guaranteed. Save yourself the money so that you can upgrade earlier.

EDIT: probably didn't make this clear, get the i5 if you will use it, for sure for video editing and such. What I meant is future proofing isn't worth it.

Kodo
31st August 2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks for advice all. Hopefully it won't come to needing a new computer and it's just a video card gone bust again but we will see.

gameon
31st August 2010, 11:57 PM
why pay $290 to upgrade to a dual core when for an extra $110 ($400 all up) you can get the quad core with a better graphics card

Kodo
1st September 2010, 10:38 AM
You maybe right. I didn't think I would need the quad-core but the difference really won't be that much more overall. Hopefully it won't come to that :)