PDA

View Full Version : I need Consoling..

matrixgeek
28th July 2004, 07:38 PM
WANTED: Mac-centric shoulder(s) to cry on while Zion (my iBook G4 933) is at the doctors having her scratchy slot loader fixed and the kernal panics I have had recently looked at. At least I will be on Holidays in Melbourne so I won't need her all that much, but seing as she has been EVERYWHERE with me since I got her in March...

(And I have to type this post on a bloody beige Wintel Box!!! Grr Arg!)

Feel for me...

Mat

(Hmmm... maybe I should buy her a pressie or two in Melb... crumpler bag...hmmm... or are get-well gifts for a computer, even a Mac, just a little bit too...)

Radar
28th July 2004, 08:40 PM
I know the feeling. I finally recieved my iPod mini today, only to find that it is DOA and is going to be a replacement job. It's like god is teasing me, oh look, lets give him a taste of iPod goodness, and take it away from him.

Daz34
28th July 2004, 09:54 PM
Matrixgeek, I feel your pain.
I have an iBook and it too has gone to the shop.
It ( I must name her) is the same as yours!
933 g4 640 RAM and with recent , frequent Kernel Panics. From what I've gathered around the forums it could be bodgy RAM.
However consider this... Going into your shop and having a weasel who "doesn't have much to do with macs' " take your darling away!!!
And I too am on a wintel S.Box I cant remembeer half my websites to go to , and I forgot my password to forums.appletalk.com and had to click the forgot my password panic button...
Come, let us think of calm blue oceans....
-_-

Ozi
28th July 2004, 10:13 PM
You poor, poor darlings. The sense of loss must be immense. Dont turn to alcohol in this time of depression; it will only make things worse. :lol:

zefi
28th July 2004, 10:52 PM
Aww, that is really unfair! If it makes you feel better, just remember someone in brisbane is feeling your pain guys :)

And yes, let's not get hasty and turn to something crazy like alcoholism for consolation!

Calm blue oceans, calm blue oceans :) (/me chants with Daz)

pipsqeek
29th July 2004, 09:38 AM
I feel for you as my G3 900 iBook just carcked it. Logic Board went on it.

Scarily enough, while I was discussing that particular topic to someone on the IRC Channel.

The Apple Stuffed up the serial number, so it was refused replacement, now the Apple Techie has tried again with the right (I hope) serial number and I should have her back soon.

It's been a week already and the iBook did not leave my side since August lsat year. This is the first time I have been without her and its like I am naked. :blink:

What is going on with iBooks? Is Apple just knocking something up and sticking it in a pretty package? I was considering upgrading to a G4 later on, but seems there are issues with that as well. :(

Steve

matrixgeek
4th August 2004, 06:17 PM
(sniff) Thankyou all for sharing my pain. I'm glad that I'm not all alone, but I.m not glad that others have the same issues. Is this a plot to get us all to upgrade to pBooks? Hmmm... But, here is the strange thing... the part needed to fix the slotloader isn't on the Apple Aus database yet... so I have her back but she isn't fully fixed. So all the great music I got in Melbourne at JB and HMV(they aren't in Tassie yet...) I can't put into iTunes!!!! At least I am typing this on a Mac not on Wintel!
I did get her a prezzie in Melb...a new bag! A Nike laptop backpack with Nike Air in the shoulder straps. Will add it to the bag thread.
Hope we all get everything fixed soon
Mat

pipsqeek
5th August 2004, 11:01 AM
I did get her a prezzie in Melb...a new bag! A Nike laptop backpack with Nike Air in the shoulder straps.

HAHAA!

Sorry, I find it funny that NIKE sells "Air" and doubles the price of their shoes.

Off Topic:
In all honesty, I use to wear only NIKE as they were most comfortable but the last pair I got lasted 3 months. they litterally fell apart, and I could not get anything out of the shop, NIKE or anyone. Since then I buy whatever feels nice and is cheap, Puma, etc...

I just think shoes should last atleast 8 months.

Steve

kim jong il
5th August 2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Aug 5 2004, 11:01 AM
..............HAHAA!

Sorry, I find it funny that NIKE sells "Air" and doubles the price of their shoes................

Funnier stil is that it worked; what a beautiful example of value adding

Currawong
5th August 2004, 11:52 AM
I've gotta say, regarding serial numbers - one place I worked had a solution to make sure of accuracy - they used a USB barcode scanner to enter them!

matrixgeek
8th August 2004, 10:41 AM
Off-topic- steve, I should show you some of my 12 year old Nike basketball boots which are still going strong. That sounds like you got a bad pair or something, but Nike should have replaced tham for you or given you store credit. They have done this for me in the past. And by the way, if anyone else reads up on the history of businesses, have they notices that Apple and Nike are always compared to each other? Started about same time, carismatic leaders, product that pushes design barriers...

decryption
8th August 2004, 10:52 AM
My G5 is currently in service, getting those random freezes looked at. It's been there since Thursday now :P

pipsqeek
8th August 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by matrixgeek@Aug 8 2004, 10:41 AM
Off-topic- steve, I should show you some of my 12 year old Nike basketball boots which are still going strong. That sounds like you got a bad pair or something, but Nike should have replaced tham for you or given you store credit. They have done this for me in the past. And by the way, if anyone else reads up on the history of businesses, have they notices that Apple and Nike are always compared to each other? Started about same time, carismatic leaders, product that pushes design barriers...
But unlike Nike, Apple is not a Marketing company.

Steve

P.S Dec, hope your G5 gets fixed. Its a shame of late with recent Apple products really hitting the proverbial fan.

matrixgeek
9th August 2004, 02:28 PM
Fair point Steve, but I won't continue this here (new thread maybe?)
And Steve, have you got your iBook back yet? Or Daz? Have mine but only while I wait for the part to come in to deepest darkest Hobart... so I still can't use the combo drive.... :(
Mat

Hobart
9th August 2004, 05:00 PM
what im not deep or dark nor am i the ist im more of the er

pipsqeek
9th August 2004, 09:24 PM
yes, the iBook is back. I have had it for a week now.

It will be with me thoughout my trip around the Pacific.

Steve

Gothikon
9th August 2004, 09:47 PM
Freaky whilst reading this topic my trusty logitech mouseman dual optical stopped working! First I thought my whole computer had frozen (first time since I replaced the dodgy RAM it came with a few years ago) the keyboard still worked and a quick un-plug plug back in fixed it.

pipsqeek
9th August 2004, 10:43 PM
That's nothing.

My iBook's logic board died while I was talking about it on line.

Right on queue.

Steve

matrixgeek
11th August 2004, 07:37 PM
:o My combo drive died while I was searching the net for tips on unlocking the region code...
SPOOKY!

Daz34
11th August 2004, 08:32 PM
Hey Matrix,
Yep, I have my iBook back, after not too much help from the shop.
I told 'em it was having kernel panics so they simply benchmarked it for 36 hrs and it was working perfectly?!?! :blink:
I formated and reinstalled panther and everything is good. :lol:
At least I have her back...
My mate convinced his mum to buy a Dell laptop and it will run for a fraction over 2 hrs before hibernating on a battery. :huh:
I have only used iBook for nearly 4 months , the more I use it the more I like it...
Vicious circle...