PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for cheap macs

sparky13
26th August 2010, 07:48 AM
Ok so I'm looking to buy a macbook pro in a month or two but as I'm a high school student I'd love to save as much money as possible. What do you recommend I do to get the cheapest price possible. I was originally going to go refurb but I'm wondering if I can get a new macbook pro close to that price anyway. So, the macbook pro I'm looking at is the base model $1499 one that DSE is currently selling at $1399. Think it's possible to get them down to $1299?

gehenna
26th August 2010, 07:52 AM
You might be eligible for the student pricing, look into that.

sparky13
26th August 2010, 07:53 AM
Nah :( Sadly not. I'm in high school not uni/tafe :( Wish I was though. Another thing I thought of was to get someone who works at woolies to get me an extra 5% off at DSE. Does that work or is that 5% off RRP?

The_Hawk
26th August 2010, 08:08 AM
The best price your likely to get is about 10% off an Apple product. I have bought my last two MBP's from DSE and asked for 10% and got it. That makes the base model 13" MBP $1,350. If you can get a better price than that I'd say your doing bloody well.

As for the 5%, you can always try to get it tacked on as well, especially if it's one of those swipe at POS deals that automatically takes off 5%... But then I don't know how their deals work. No harm in walking in and asking the sales guy for 10% then hitting up the checkout person (who is normally a different person) for the 5% after the fact. That would bring it down to $1,282.50 ... theoretically.

JuggaloG
26th August 2010, 09:55 AM
being a high school student dont you get an awesome rebate from the government for buying a laptop for "school"?

paronga
26th August 2010, 10:30 AM
the woolies card is a swipe at POS type thing.

I'd try and get the education discount through a friend or something. Or wait till you are a uni student.

dekco
26th August 2010, 10:30 AM
Look into this: Education Tax Refund (http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au/home/default.asp?sid=42)

Jaste
26th August 2010, 02:53 PM
Join the coop uni bookshop. They have a link through to the apple education website that gives up to 12% on some macs.

chrism238
26th August 2010, 03:03 PM
Join the coop uni bookshop. They have a link through to the apple education website that gives up to 12% on some macs.

$1,370.60 from them. Best to wait for a DSE, JB, or Myer 10% off day.

sparky13
26th August 2010, 03:36 PM
Ok thanks for the reply :) I will be able to get the education tax refund, it's just that I still have to cash out all the money now :(

sparky13
28th August 2010, 05:32 PM
Went into JB and clive anthony's after work today. JB guy wasn't much help but he said he could beat it by like $20 and apple care he said was $417 "because he didn't want to sell it for less then the retail as that's not fair to apple. Went to clive anthony's and had a nice chat to the bloke. He said he could beat it by a bit but after I told him where I worked he said that the cost price is about 10% under RRP. He did say he could give me apple care for $325.

Another question though. If I go with an extended warranty through a retailer I save ~$200 which to me is a lot and I don't think I need the phone support anyway. any issues with doing that?

lostom
28th August 2010, 06:24 PM
hit up jb, for discount warranty, dont go with apple care, it's overpriced and you basically get the same thing with in house warranty anyhow.
it's pretty difficult to get any discount on apple products, so if you can get additional 'extras' it sort of compensates.
sure you still have to pay up front, but it's long term investment.

cosmichobo
28th August 2010, 06:34 PM
Don't get any warranty. If you can afford it and realllllly worry - buy Applecare before 12 months is up. Ask your economics/commerce teacher at school to explain Australian consumer law.

When you are ready, go into 1st reseller - ask for their BEST EVER Price- cos you are GOING TO BE BUYING TODAY! Then say - ok, gotta go see what else others can offer. They'll likely ask you to come back to them before buying elsewhere, to see if they can match what you talk someone else down to.

Take a notepad. Write the store name, sales person, and amounts down. It looks a lot better, and the sales people know you are serious.

Go to store #2, tell them - store #1 will do it for this much... can you beat it.

Repeat etc etc til you have the best option.

BuuBox
28th August 2010, 07:23 PM
Don't get any warranty. If you can afford it and realllllly worry - buy Applecare before 12 months is up. Ask your economics/commerce teacher at school to explain Australian consumer law.

Consumer protection legislation is all good and well when you have a tonne of free time. Unfortunately in reality it is far easier said than done.

route74
29th August 2010, 10:25 AM
Consumer protection legislation is all good and well when you have a tonne of free time. Unfortunately in reality it is far easier said than done.

So true! It's like when we hear people's stories about faulty gear recently after purchase and they take it back to the store and the store wants to send it to back to the manufacturer - even when the consumer has the right to an immediate replacement....